Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Food in Ireland and Scotland - Is it really that bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 09:21 PM
Sam

I keep reading about potatos and salmon and while I enjoy potatos, I'm not a seafood type of guy. Will I be able to find good food to eat in either of these countries, or should I plan to lose a few pounds? My wife's a vegetarian so she's concerned as well about finding appealing meals. Any suggestions?

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 10:31 PM
Shannon

Hi Sam, <BR> <BR>The food is better in Ireland than in Scotland (been to both recently). Plan on gaining a few pounds! The seafood is great in Ireland but so is the beef, lamb, pork and everything inbetween. Your wife will be able to get vegetarian meals at most restaurants there. In Scotland the food is not as good as Ireland (they fry everything--even snicker candy bars!)

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 10:34 PM
Sam

Fried snicker bars??? Sounds like we better pack a supply of power bars for Scotland. Anyone have any Italian restuarants to suggest in either country - always a good choice for a vegetarian.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 11:54 PM
Sheila

Sam <BR> <BR>You have nothing to worry about in Scotland. If you eat in ordinary pubs, you will find the range limited and you will put on weight. We are proud of our seafood so you will read a lot about it, but everything else is available too. <BR> <BR>We do have a preponderence to fry everything - the deep friend Mars (nor snickers) Bar is a bit of an icon but you won't actually see it in many places if any. <BR> <BR>My vegetarian luunch yesterday in a cafe near my office in Aberdeen was mushroom soup folowed by onion and ceps tart on a polenta base with new potatoes, grean beans, courgette and carrot on the side. <BR> <BR>Day before it as pumphin risotto with parmesan shavings followed by salad. <BR> <BR>You coose where you eat and you'll eat well. <BR> <BR>Tell us where you're going and I'll recommend some places. Italian restaurants in Scotland is a bit of a wide remit

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 03:45 AM
Tony Hughes

Troll.

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 06:00 AM
Lauren

I went to Ireland 2 years ago when I was a vegetarian. I actually got food poisoning in Dingle from a pasta/smoked salmon dish. Haven't eaten salmon in any form since! <BR>But, that could happen anywhere... <BR> <BR>I found that the running into a grocery store in Dublin and buying Peanut Butter and crackers saved me while driving around the country. There are always seafood alternatives (again, salmon is popular there). <BR> <BR>A great Italian restaurant in Dublin is called Trastevere. In fact, I still have their card in my wallet. It's located in Temple Bar Square PH: 670 8343. The best meal I had in Ireland. <BR> <BR>I'm going back at the end of this month - but am no longer a veggie so maybe I will have a better selection this time! <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Jean

Went to Ireland in August on a tour with GLOBUS. We had most meals provided for us at different hotels. Ate a lot of fish, potatoes, and beef. I did not have a problem with the food. I was worried before traveling, but actually everything was very good. For lunch we ate at pubs. Good for soups, stews, and sandwiches.

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 10:29 AM
Susan

Don't worry about the food in Ireland. Thought it was great (with 1 exception). We feared the food in Ireland after having suffered through dreadful food in England a few years back, but the food was excellent. <BR> We're geared to vegetarian food but also eat chicken (I don't like most fish either). But be prepared for huge quantities - & lots of potatoes. We usually were served 2 kinds of potatoes with a meal - once it was 3! <BR>

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 10:35 AM
Judy

I ADORE salmon, and love the spud! I will be in heaven in Scotland and Ireland! Judy

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 05:09 PM
Danna

Sam, <BR> <BR>I don't know what you've been reading but it's wrong. We had wonderful food throughout Scotland and Ireland. Stac Polly Restaurant in Edinburgh, to die for. Scallops in Kirkudbright Galloway... too good for words. Venison and Monkfish in Dublin. Fish and Chips almost everywhere! It's all brilliant.

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 05:50 PM
mediterraneangirl

Do they serve vegetables in those countries? Are they cooked in some interesting way or just boiled? Do they cook with a lot of animal fat or do they also use olive oil or other interesting oils? What kinds of flavorings (e.g., garlic? basil? rosemary? cheese? lemon?) are commonly used? I never hear of these countries having a real cooking style. Are pubs smokey places? Can you drink something other than beer or ale? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I've never been to these two countries and I too heard awful things about the food in general, but nothing specific about their culinary style if any.

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 09:46 AM
nnn

What was so wrong about the ?s from mediterraneangirl? I would have to agree with her - I've heard some pretty bad accounts about food in these countries and also have never heard about a particular cooking style.

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 10:37 AM
anon

The reason mediterranean girl is not getting a serious answer and was instead ridiculed is probably the same reason I won't sign my name to this post, that is the answer would be rather insulting to these countries. I don't know about Scotland, but the Irish food in Ireland is totally unimaginative and has nothing that I would consider a real style or interesting flavorings. It's just there in all its plainness and rather difficult to eat unless you are starving. However the quality of the root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, parsnips) and fresh fish as raw materials is excellent. There are some fine meals to be eaten in Ireland, but they are not Irish. They are cooked in foreign style, most notably French. It is usually haute cuisine. You will not find the kind of delicious, interesting, fragrant, full flavored ordinary homestyle food that you might find in France, Italy, Turkey, Germany, north Africa, Portugal and in fact most places. In short, trying interesting foods is not a reason to go to Ireland. But one can survive. I've heard Scotland is even worse, but some people who were raised on very bland, unimaginatively cooked American food might actually prefer these countries' foods to the more interesting Mediterranean, Asian, or middle eastern foods. .

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 11:39 AM
xxx

Dear Sam, <BR> <BR>Yes, except in foreign restaurants.

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Bill

In England and Scotland: Indian curry places. Yum!

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 01:32 PM
Gina

One of the best entrees I've ever tasted on my travels was in a pub in Doolin, County Clare, Ireland. Beef stew cooked in Guinness. Rich, thick, flavorful, tender, and just absolutely the perfect food on a chilly, rainy, February day. Too bad it was what my traveling companion had ordered! My dinner was okay but nothing to remember (hence, I don't remember what it was); she allowed me a couple of tastes of hers and then had to guard her dish with her life. <BR> <BR>I believe, but cannot swear, that this was at Gus O'Connor's pub.

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Joanna

I had three of the best meals in my life in Scotland and Ireland. The Irish meal was at Doolin in a gorgeous little restaurant - I had seafood, but there was a choice. Lots of delicious vegies with it. In Scotland had two very memorable meals; one at the restaurant in the Portcullis Hotel and the other at a riverside restaurant in Inverness. Unfortunately without my 1988 trip diary I can't remember the names (am typing this at work). However, I can assure you there is great food. You don't have to go for the deep fried blood pudding if you don't want to!

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 06:26 PM
me

We were in Ireland in June. I lean toward vegetarian, my husband and son eat meat and my daughter is somewhere in the middle! We found very satisfying meals every time. We were all pleasantly surprised as we had heard the food in Ireland was not the reason for going there! I'll further qualify my opinion by saying none of us are adventurous eaters nor do we go for the exotic! I did find broad selections and fresh, nicely prepared (never mushy) vegetables and salads. The vegetable soups were always a satisfying option for me...the seafood and other soups were also especially good. You couldn't find a bad piece of bread anywhere and there ws plenty of that! The best and most economical meals were in the pubs. <BR>I think you'll be fine...I'll confess it was definitely a concern of mine before we went...I found I didn't need to worry at all. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 09:59 AM
AC

<BR>Hi Sam: <BR>One of my favorite meals in Ireland was served in a lovely restaurant call Moriarity's in Clifden. Chicken stuffed with Blue cheese served in a white roasted garlic sauce (is your mouth watering yet?) I dislike seafood too, I found I was never without a wonderful choice no matter where I ate. Have a nice trip! <BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Ryn

Most of the reason that native cuisine <BR>in either of these countries is not <BR>that great is because the traditional <BR>stuff is poverty food. You know, hunger <BR>is the best sauce and all that? <BR>Vegetarianism is a little rare outside <BR>of larger cities; most rural folks <BR>would wonder why on earth someone who <BR>can afford meat would forgo it, except <BR>for religious reasons. <BR> <BR>I don't have any difficulty whatsoever <BR>with adapted cuisines; I appreciate <BR>good food no matter where I find it, <BR>and no matter who cooks it. <BR> <BR>Anyway, troll or not, I can't believe <BR>that no one has mentioned the baked <BR>goods! Maybe all the damp weather does <BR>special things to the grass the cows <BR>eat, (danged if I know the real reason, <BR>other than the dairy goods being so fresh), but the pastry, in Ireland especially, tends to be very good these <BR>days, even from bakeries in small towns. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -