Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   food and drink in ireland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/food-and-drink-in-ireland-271593/)

silvana Nov 7th, 2002 09:22 AM

food and drink in ireland?

how much does a typical meal and a pint cost in ireland, dublin specifically? my boyfriend and i can afford the airfare and accomodation, but he insists that what with food and drink it will be too expensive. is this true? can you get decent food for cheap? i really want to go, and it's been his dream to go for a long time. i need a convincing argument!<BR>thanks- silvana

carolync Nov 7th, 2002 09:45 AM

The last time I was in Dublin was approx 5 years ago and I don't remember the prices being much different than here, well, in the DC area that is, $2-3 a pint(?) . You can eat decent inexpensive food in some pubs, others all you may get is a pre-made [icky] sandwich thrown in a toaster oven.<BR><BR>Remember, you can always save money by hitting the grocery store and having a picnic for lunch too.<BR><BR>Dublin is like any large city in the U.S. You can find all sorts of restaurants at all kinds of prices. If you are going on vacation in Ireland for fine dining, it might get expensive, but, in my humble opinion, Ireland has way more to offer than food. <BR><BR>I say go, go, go!!!! Even if you have to eat pub food the entire time, it will be worth it!

Julie Nov 7th, 2002 09:59 AM

Silvana,<BR><BR>Hi. The last time I was in Ireland, in 2000, I don't recall food be overly expensive. What I can do remember is that breakfasts at the B&amp;Bs are usually substantial including eggs, tomatoes, cereal &amp; yogurt in addition to continental fare. <BR><BR>So on two separate trips, we would eat a large breakfast at the B&amp;B, and typically didn't even have lunch or just grabbed some soup ($2). So we tended to not worry as much about dinner costs, as we spent far less on food during the day than we budgeted. I should note that both of these trips would prob. be considered budget trips and were hardly extravagent.<BR><BR>Personal note: the soup in Ireland was WONDERFUL. I would not pass up any opportunity to partake!<BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR>Julie

doc Nov 7th, 2002 10:08 AM

pints of guinness are @ $2.00.Will not break the bank. Ifyou are staying at a B&amp;B, they will have a hige breakfast and you may not eat until dinner. And it is not that pricey anyway. If you are price concious, you can get a meal under $10 easy.

curt Nov 7th, 2002 10:11 AM

Just back from Ireland and found eating and drinking to be pretty reasonable. Pints prices varied of course but never more than around 3 euros. Food was reasonable. Pubs do great job on food. As posted above the soups are really good. Our lunch usually consisted of a pint and a bowl of soup (almost always served with excellent brown bread). Very filling and very inexpensive. Dinner in decent places was also not too bad. I think we would usually spend about 20-25 euros for two for dinner, including a drink (no wine with meal). Add a bit more on if you have a bottle of wine of course.<BR><BR>You do not say where you live, but unless you are in a really low cost area you should find food and drink in Ireland no more expensive (maybe cheaper) than at home. Plus, if you stay at B&amp;B or hotels that include breakfast in room rate, you can really stuff yourself with the &quot;full&quot; Irish breakfast and not need another large meal until dinner.<BR><BR>Go to Ireland. Live the dream. If you get too short on money go to the groceries and buy stuff and picnic. Just go you will love Ireland.

Mina Nov 7th, 2002 10:15 AM

Guinness at 2-3 dollars a pint is the only argument I needed! (And it tastes better there too!)<BR><BR>I agree with the others...Ireland is very reasonable. The breakfasts are huge, and I would often only buy one other meal a day. <BR><BR>It was the cheapest vacation I have ever had. I know it helped I was alone though, because I met a lot of people who wouldn't even hear of me paying for a drink. There were times when it was someone's turn to buy a round (they refused adamantly when I offered, which was contrary to what I read before I went) and I wasn't done with my drink. Then I found myself holding two beers!<BR><BR>If you like mussels, they are excellent there. A large bowl can be had for under $10, with bread. Very filling and satisfying!

Alec Nov 7th, 2002 02:29 PM

Last month in Dublin I paid around 3.30 to 3.50 euro for a pint of Guinness in a city-centre pub near Grafton St. Would be slightly cheaper away from the centre. You can have a one-course pub lunch like Irish stew and roast meat with vegetables for 8-10 euro. Wine is expensive. Even in a ordinary shop or supermarket, there is very little under 6 euro. Typical bottle of Australian Chardonnay or French Beaujolais would be around 8-10 euro. In a restaurant, expect a mark-up of 100-200%.<BR>You will save a lot if you can self-cater at least part of the time. Also make lunch your main meal, as dinner prices, even for identical menu, could be 50% more. There is fair amount of fast food (burgers, pizzas, kebabs) and prices are comparable to UK, though choice is more limited further away you go from Dublin.

Siobhan Nov 8th, 2002 06:51 AM

In dublin these are my estimated prices...(I live here and never think about it until someone asks)!<BR><BR>These are Dublin prices and in the countryside it will be cheaper<BR><BR>Pints approx 4 euro Huinness is less<BR>Mixed drink 6-7.5 Euro <BR><BR>Cheap places to eat in Dublin:<BR><BR>Milano (great cheap pizza restaurant) serves individual Pizzas and very cheap. Located in Temple Bar and DAwson street in Dublin<BR><BR>Rasher Gerritys Temple Bar - Sausage sandwiches and pannini etc. You can have any combo made up in a roll.<BR><BR>There is a new Pizza Place beside Eamon Dorans Pub in Temple Bar that serves &quot;slices&quot; like in the USA very cheap and the slices are huge.<BR><BR>Across from this place is the Bad Ass Cafe that is a fun and cheap place.<BR><BR>There are many small sandwich shops where you can get soup and a sandwich for 4-6 euro. O'Briens is a sandwich chain throughout the country that you can take out a sandwich and it is cheaper that eating in the cafe.<BR><BR>Fish and Chips - Great value as you get loads of food 4-8 euro and you will be stuffed. Beschoff's in Christ Church is the best.<BR><BR>Epicurian Food Hall off Abby street and Liffey Street - Like an American food court. you can get Italian Pannini, Indian, Mexican, Kebabs, tapas, etc and all is fantastic<BR><BR>Wagamama - is cheap asian food beside St. Stephens Green Shopping centre. meals are approx 8-12 euro. I love the food and you are seated at lon tables with other people. Real communal dining.<BR><BR>Also there are a few good sandwich places off Grafton Street - Munchies (corner of Wicklow Street). Nude (organic sambos and smoothies) on Suffolk Street. <BR><BR>Let me know if you have a specific tyope of food and I will post more! Go for it!

silvana Nov 9th, 2002 04:26 PM

thank you all so much!<BR>that sounds very reasonable and i do not mind eating pub food every day. not going for the find dining.. going to &quot;live the dream&quot; as you said. the b&amp;b breakfast sounds wonderful...are the b&amp;b's affordable? we were probably going to stay in a hostel..<BR><BR>we're doing to do it!

David D. Nov 10th, 2002 08:26 PM

Silvana,<BR><BR>Dublin, like most major cities, can be expensive. But fear not, you'll discover a wide range of eateries and prices in the city, and you'll have little trouble enjoying yourself without &quot;breaking the bank.&quot;<BR><BR>Rather than offering you specific tips on places to eat, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Fodor's latest guide to Ireland (the 2003 edition should be out shortly). It'll contain many good tips on eating well. Granted, Fodor's tends to emphasize the upmarket places to dine and stay. Should you be more budget-oriented, consider the always excellent and reliable Rough Guide to Ireland. You'll want this guide for dining, sightseeing, and much more. In addition, consider the highly opinionated and well regarded Bridgestone Guide to Ireland. This is an especially helpful book, and I've had great success using it in my numerous travels to Ireland.

Ann Nov 11th, 2002 08:18 AM

Silvana, when I stayed at a hostel in Dublin (definitely cheaper than a B&amp;B), we were supplied with breakfast, although not along the lines of what you'd get at a B&amp;B. We had baguettes, cheese, an orange or apple, and coffee or tea. You can always pick up a cheap bacon sandwich from a cafe, too.<BR><BR>I want to know where people are getting $2 pints in Dublin and Washington! I'm obviously hanging out at all the wrong places.<BR><BR>Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but you can eat cheaply. Drinking cheaply can be more difficult, but you will be assisted if the pubs you're in adhere to the licensing laws. Just stay away from night clubs, where prices go up, and they stay open much later than most pubs.