Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Food allergies -- Are nuts common ingredient in Turkish cuisine?

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend is allergic to seafood and all nuts. Normally, a significant part of my vacation is eating but I'm not sure how difficult it will be to find places to eat where she can be sure that there are no nuts in the sauces, etc. I don't anything about Turkish cuisine and I don't want her to end up in an emergency room -- this has happened to her a few times while traveling since many places don't take food allergies very seriously. (they think she's just being picky and don't realize she starts to have trouble breathing...) Are there any suggested dishes or types of restaurants that are safe bets?
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM

There are certainly nuts in some of the many dessert pastries. Try this link for more information: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

You might want to get a card to carry with you that explains the nut allerg problem. There's a web site that offers translations printed on laminated cards; if I can find it again I'll post it here.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Here it is:

http://www.selectwisely.com/
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I can't help with the dishes or type of restaurants but I can tell you what I did.

I had a card printed in the local language that indicated my allergy and severity of it. I found the text by doing a search for "allergy card" I think.

Here is the text in English:
I am allergic to shellfish - shrimp, prawns, lobster, crab.... I cannot eat shellfish or food that is prepared in the same pan as shellfish. If I eat shellfish - shrimp, prawns, lobster, crab - I will need medical attention and I may die in your restaurant.

The back of the card says:
I need medical attention. Please call an ambulance and say I am in anaphylactic shock.

You can purchase cards also, I haven't needed to but this site sells them: http://www.selectwisely.com/select_wisely/

Have a fun trip!
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

wow, the laminated card thing seems like a good idea. Do you have any experience/feedback with people who have used it?

thanks so much for these useful links.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM

All I can say in this regard is to make it very clear to the restaurant (and that may necessitate you going to larger more tourist-oriented restaurants-like hotel restaurants) and telling them about your friend's allergies to nuts and seafood.

Turkish cuisine involves a lot of use of nuts-particularly pistachios-and seafood as well, but I do not think it will be at all impossible to find good restaurants that will serve meals without these food items-remember that the quintessential street food-donner kebap-is found everywhere (all over the world for that matter), as well as pita sandwiches filled with various delicious fillings containing no fish or nuts.

Turkish cuisine, one of the best in the world- is very vegetarian friendly as well-and there are veggie restaurants in Istanbul, in addition to regular restaurants that serve vegetarian entrees and sides (particularly with eggplant, stuffed grape leaves, hummous, feta cheese, and the like)

Have a look at these websites for ideas:

istanbul.diningguide.com/
www.istanbulcityguide.com/eatdrink/

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

hi underhill and cls -- I just checked the site and unfortunately, there's no translation into turkish. I might try to find someone who can write the translation for me and go get it laminated as cls does.

girltravel -- thanks for the links and advice - she's a near-vegetarian so this is very useful info.

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I know someone who is fluent in Turkish so if you can't find anyone locally, send me an e-mail at mygsi at comcast.net (putting in the "at" sign at the appropriate place) and I will try to get you in touch.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM

Hi Fishee;
Actually we have just spoken this issue with another hotelier friend of mine, becouse we are serving to a customer who has gluten allergy and informed all places he will stay for the appropriate food. My friend also told me that he gets every once a while these laminated cards and they look after. However ! sometimes to speak the waiter will not help as they might not understand really and say Ok OK only.... So having a card ready in Turkish is good idea which we do usually.

Generally speaking nuts are being used in mezes but meat dishes, mezes without nuts you can find easily, vegetable dishes etc.are plenty. One thing you be careful is : Dolma ( stuffed wine leaves, paper, tomatoes and obergine, might have small pine nuts in it ) and the baklava and similar.

Here is what you need to write down for this :
"BEN ALLERJÝK BÝR ÝNSANIM. Hicbir yemekte Fýndýk, Fýstýk, Camfýstýgý, Badem turevleri olmamalý. Deniz urunlerine de allerjigim. Aksi takdirde cok ciddi saglýk sorunlarý yasayabilirim. Dikkatiniz icin Tesekkurler."

Wish you Happy and healthy travels without problems,
Murat

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:00 AM

Sorry becouse of Turkish characters texts seems chineese to me.... Here is again:
Ben ALLERJiK BiR iNSANiM. Hicbir yemekte Findik, Fistik, Camfistigi, Badem turevleri olmamali. Balik ve diger Deniz urunlerine de allerjigim. Aksi takdirde cok ciddi saglik sorunlari yasayabilirim. Dikkatiniz icin Tesekkurler."

Says I am and allergic person, there is no way I should eat any type of nuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts, almond or similar. I also can not eat any seafood including fish.Otherwise I may get serious health problems. Thank you for your attention.

Hope it works and you will have great time with other great food in Turkey.

Murat
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:41 AM
ira

Hi Fishee,

I don't know if this is important, but note that Hummous is made with Tahini, which is ground sesame seeds.

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

thank you everyone, this is so helpful. It will be a great relief and help her enjoy this visit in a much more relaxed way.

Murat -- I very much appreciate your translation! and the tip about Dolma is great since that seems like something she would have ordered.

ira -- i think i've seen her eat hummous so that's usually O.K. as long as there hasn't been any addition of peanut oil or anything like that. but thanks for the tips!

Please let me know if you can think of any other dishes in which fish or nuts are "hidden" ingredients that we might miss. While she generally strives to be vegetarian, I don't think she's going to be able to resist the kebabs -- these might be a stand-by for her. thanks again.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Murat,

Which translation do you think I should use -- the first one with the accents or the second without? Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM

To Ira and Fishee:

Sesame seeds are not nuts; they come from the sesame plant. So there is no worry about hummus, or about the wonderful simmit which are sold by roving vendors all over the country! As mentioned, desserts are where you will find a preponderance of nuts but even there, your friend will be well sated while able to avoid nutty concoctions.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Hi Fishee;
Take my second posting with accents its more clear.
If you are coming to Sultanahmet area, Go to Sultanahmet Koftecisi at the main center, the restaurant with wooden signboard as there are two very close to each other. They have great metballs and salads, as you were asking place to eat after jetlagged
Best,
Murat
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Murat,

Can't thank you enough for the translation about the nut and fish allergy -- it worked very well. We printed out both versions and people seemed to understand this one you wrote the best:

"Ben ALLERJiK BiR iNSANiM. Hicbir yemekte Findik, Fistik, Camfistigi, Badem turevleri olmamali. Balik ve diger Deniz urunlerine de allerjigim. Aksi takdirde cok ciddi saglik sorunlari yasayabilirim. Dikkatiniz icin Tesekkurler"

My friend thanks you profusely -- she is having a wonderful time in IST because of your help and all the waiters have been so gracious, understanding, and helpful when they read this card. Turns out there has often been ground up nuts in many versions of kebabs and meatballs so you definitely saved us a trip to an emergency room or hospital. We truly cannot thank you enough for your help.