Fontainebleau and Chartres in 1 day?

Aug 2nd, 1999, 07:30 AM
pergament

Fontainebleau and Chartres in 1 day?

Hi, we will be in Paris in August. Is it posssible to see Fontainebleau and Chartres in 1 day and what the best way to get there. We can rent a car or train is better? ( we are staying at 7 district in Paris). Thank you in advance.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 10:49 AM
kam

For me the two would be too much for one day. Can't you spare another day? If not I would choose Chartres and skip Fontainebleau particularly if you are going to Versailles.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 01:31 PM
tim arcaro

Catch the train to Chartres from Paris. I walked the 70 miles in May 99. Chartres is small and quaint the cathedral is worth the trip and train station is about 3 blocks away (30 min by train). Beautiful stained glass shop directly across from the cathedral - you can see the place in a few hours but may want to spend the day since it is quite beautiful.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 02:14 PM
Catherine

Chartes is lovely.Both the Cathedral and the town.We left Paris on a 1015 am train which arrived in Chartes at 1115 am.We took the Malcolm Miller tour at 1200 noon.The tour is well worth it.The tour ended at 1pm.
We had lunch at a lovely little restaurant which took 1 and a half hours.Then we walked around the town.We came across another cathedral I think it was called St pierre.There was a Gregorian chant playing and beautiful light streaming through the windows.We stayed in there for an hour.We went back to the big cathedral and tried to burn those beautiful windows into our memory.No photo could ever do it enough justice.
We got back to Paris at 7pm.There is no way we could have gone anywhere else that day.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 04:15 PM
dan woodlief

I am sure you can do both in one day. However, as others have indicated, it may not be advisable to do it. The train schedule shows about 2:30 from Chartres to Fontainebleau, but Fontainebleau is less than an hour from Paris. Chartres is about an hour from Paris. I would do them on separate days.

Search this Thread