Venice, airport hotel ?

Old Jan 27th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice, airport hotel ?

Usually , I stay away from airport hotels but I will be returning to Venice
from Madrid ( late night) to continue my trip the next day at 2:00 PM.
( we will have stayed in Venice for a week before Madrid portion of the trip).
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Since the flight the next day has such a late departure, something I would consider, but I have never done, would be staying on the island of Murano. Depending on how late your flight lands at the airport you might have to get a water taxi to a hotel on Murano, but I think I would find the extra expense worth it. The next day you should be able to take a regular vaporetto to the airport.

Not having done this I can't recommend a hotel, but booking.com or tripadvisor should have a few leads.

I just think it might be more interesting than an airport hotel -- but if you've been to Murano and hated it, not worth it.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks , the arriving flight lends around 22:00 h.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 09:32 AM

I think I would enjoy a late night ride across the lagoon in a water taxi.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
actually, sandralist, I've done it and it's a bit cold and you can't see anything.

but I still like your idea.

is there anywhere to stay on Burano? - for me it's a nicer island and there are some good restaurants.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 11:17 AM

The thing about staying on Murano is that it so easy to get back to the airport the next day (and, by extension, get to a hotel the same night). The isle of Murano is close to the airport, and there is a regular vaporetto or "alliguna" that makes the trip, although after 10pm a water taxi is probably the only option. I don't think Burano would be so simple and a water taxi would be much more expensive.

I've heard there are a couple of quite good restaurants on Murano, but I think it is moot point almost wherever danon stayes. He/she will arrive too late for dinner, and probably should be heading to the airport by noon.

If I didn't want to stay in Murano, I'd check out the possibility of staying in Treviso, just to have someplace interesting to stroll about before noon the following day. Although I have only been in Mestre to eat and sleep near the train station, I have heard that it actually has a rather pleasant, charming center, so that might worth checking out. And of course it is quite easy to reach the airport from there.

I would just be concerned that, given the fairly late departure, than an airport hotel is in nowheresville, and I wouldn't want to be stuck there with nothing to do for all the morning before I needed to be at the airport. But maybe sleeping late is good enough!
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 08:31 PM

You might be best off (time/convenience) using a booking site with a map feature and zooming in to find something very close to Piazzale Roma (good price/ high ratings). Then you take the fast bus (~20 minutes) and walk another 5 min. to the hotel. There are airport hotels, but then you have to deal with their private shuttle schedules, and it might not really save you any time.

The regular ATVO bus is pretty predictable to P.le Roma. The next day you can leave the bags at reception, then hae some time roaming before picking up the bags, walking 5 min. to the bus, and returning to the airport.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, dfourh
I am considering PR as well. Venice is always a bit complicated to move around.