Reload this Page >

Followup on nightmare with Hertz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Paula

I posted several months ago after returning from Spain and France about the awful experience we had with Hertz. Other people have posted similar experiences with Hertz as well. I'm aware that people can have different experiences and opinions, but our experience with Hertz was such a nightmare that I feel compelled to pass it on in hopes that other people don't go through the same thing.<BR><BR>To make a long story short--in our contract Hertz stated in writing that if we needed to get the car after hours, it could be arranged. When we tried to request that to pick up the car we had reserved in Cannes at 6:45 (they closed at 6), not only did they refuse, but it took several hours of our vacation time on the phone to even have them tell us this. Because of this, not only did we have extra expense, but we were inconvienced and when we finally got the car, (after they gave us the wrong car and we had to exchange it) it only had 3/4 tank of gas.<BR><BR>After trying to get Hertz to compensate us for our extra expenses for nearly 5 months, they absolutely refused, denied the fact that they said they would stay open later upon request (which we have in writing), and offered no apology in any for the inconvience they had caused us.<BR><BR>Luckily, we had put this on our American Express card and American Express has given us $200 credit which was very generous of them. (Kudoos to American Express!) <BR><BR>We would have gladly paid $200 to have avoided the nightmare we went through because of Hertz, but the fact that they in no way tried to compensate us really showed me what a second rate company they are.<BR><BR>From this expereince I would offer the following advise--don't rent from Hertz and make sure you put your car rental on a credit card--I'd recommend American Express for this (they also really came through for us when we couldn't get an ATM machine in Nice to take our Visa.)<BR><BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Barbara

Paula, I have rented from Hertz in Britain and in the US. I have had excellent service each time. You certainly had a very bad experience, but I don't believe that means the entire organization should be avoided. People post accounts of bad experiences with almost every car rental company there is! If we avoided all of them, we'd be really stuck.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 03:28 PM
kam

We just rented from Hertz in Ireland. Do a thorough inspection of the car for dings and damage and make sure they are spelled out on the contract you sign. It's very difficult when you are jet lagged to do this, but persist. Turn the car on and make sure all lights are working, all hubcaps are in place, it has a full gas tank and check that tires are safe. Don't be a victim of "upgrading" bait and switch. Our Hertz experience in Ireland was very good---even advised some folks from Boston as they were waiting for cars. The worst experience I've ever had was Advantage at Phoenix where the desk clerk actually became insulting and the best experience was at Ontario, CA, with Enterprise. It's always a crap shoot. And, absolutely always put the car on a credit card.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Connie

We had a good expenience this summer with hertz. We rented in Perpignan, france and dropped off in Venice. Everything went very smoothly and the car was great. We dropped the car off a day early and they gave us credit on the card.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Walter

Barbara: What you say is very true esp with rental cars, hotels, airlines etc.<BR> But if you do a search here, on google.com for Usenet posts and on other travel message boards. <BR> And you see that "X" has alot of negative posts and very few positive posts.<BR> But "Y" has very few negative posts but more positive posts.<BR>Who would you choose.<BR> I trust Hertz in the US, they are my 1st choice. Also any company AutoEurope contracts me to. Based?, on researching negative & positive past posts and my experiences. Regards, Walter<BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:33 AM
Keith

I rented from Hertz in Cannes a couple of years ago, with no problems. We arrived late - about 11pm - and the desk was still open, the car ready and asy to find. They were also really helpful when I lost the keys on the beach with about 4 hours to get to Nice for the flight home - we were in a car park, someone found the keys and phoned Hertz just after we called to report the keys missing, and they directed him to the car (to my eternal relief!)

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:58 AM
David

You know when ever you rent a car that that the onus for most things is on you. Yes, when you first get there (no matter how jet lagged you are) you need to do the basic checks. When you drop off, no matter how short of time you have elected to leave yourself with, you need to do the checks with the staff so you do not get any nasty credit card surprises.<BR><BR>I have rented with Hertz in Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Norway and some other countries and have had good experiences all around....but, if you do not do the basics then you reap what you sow. On a number (in fact on most) occasions we have picked up and dropped off outside normal hors with no problems.<BR><BR>David

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:40 AM
Ann

I think before you put Paula down, you should re-read the letter. She said it was in the contract that they wait for her. She also stated that American Express returned $200. They wouldn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts. They obviously found Hertz at fault. I have been delayed and diverted to another airport. The Hertz agent called the other airport (45 minutes away) and asked the agent to wait until we arrived by limo (airline provided it to the correct airport) The agent refused. All we were asking was for 45 minutes of overtime. If the clerk at the airport we arrived at didn't have an avaiable car, US Air would have allowed the limo driver to take us to our actual destination. We have had a couple of other problems with them, but nothing big. Personally, if I were running a business like that, I would insist that an agent wait up to an hour of overtime to help a customer. It's called customer satisfaction.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:40 AM
mandy

It is not constructive to suggest that Paula brought her problems on herself; this does not point to a solution. <BR><BR>That said, whether the entire corporation of Hertz is indictable on the basis of this incident depends on whether the offer to arrange for pickup after-hours is universal, or was something specific to that particular franchise. My rather limited experience suggests the latter is true. That is certainly grounds for being wary about dealing with the Hertz Cannes location, but not necessarily for holding several thousand other outlets to account for the action of this one location.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:13 AM
Carol

One of the things I have discovered with Rental cars is that I am more likely to have problems at a franchise then a corporate owned location. So a major airport is fine, but a small town location could be a whole new issue! The franchise locations actually are not always even required to abide by the same contract terms. If you have a choice of rental car companies, it might be worth inquiring!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:19 AM
Try Harder

Sorry you had a problem Paula and I don't suggest it was your fault. We had one bad experience with Hertz in Rome on our first trip there. We were given directions to get to the agency (near Borghese) by one of the Hertz people. We followed those directions to a fault, but ended up with a very long walk after getting off the metro. By the time we got there they were closed. Returned the next day and got a smaller car than we requested.<BR><BR>Were we thrilled with the service? No, of course not, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that no one ever use Hertz again because of our bad luck. Pretty childish in my estimation: "they were mean to me so don't play with them."

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:33 AM
Connie

We are suppose to pick up our car at the Borghese gardens. Do you have any good directions or help you can give me to find the hertz office. Thanks

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:30 AM
Paula

David, Believe me, as Ann suggested and American Express confirmed, I did not bring this problem on myself. Infact, I was aware of the fact that we were going to be arriving 45 after they closed 10 days before the fact, spent hours on the phone arguing with them about honoring their contract (a waste of our precious vacation time and poor customer service on their part), and like so many Fodorites, did an incredible amount of research before our trip. I'm glad you and some other people haven't had a bad experience with them, but it seems that many others have. There are many better options besides Hertz.<BR><BR>Also, I'd like to add that I am not a person who usually has problems with companies, but when I have in the past, I have usually had good resolutions. Once we had a problem when we stayed at the Marriott, and not only did they resolve the problem to our satisfaction, but we were so happy with the customer service that we purchased a Marriott timeshare and have been thrilled with it.<BR><BR>I guess living in Seattle, home of Nordstrom and REI, customer service is important to me. While I realize that the same level of customer service is not always a norm in Europe, I have to say that what Hertz put us through was truly unacceptable and I just wanted to let other Fodorites be aware of this.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:45 AM
Ann

Want to clarify something: that $200 credit did not come from American Express. It came from Hertz, through a chargeback. That money comes from Hertz, not Amex.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:06 PM
xxx

The part I don't get is this deal about the pick up time. Every contract I've ever had has the pick up time right on it. If the contract said "pick-up at 6:45" and they were already closed, then I understand the problem, but how could they deny the problem if they put that pick up time on the contract?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:44 PM
Paula

Ann, thank you for clarifying that--you're right, I didn't realize how that worked.<BR><BR>xxx--it states in our contract under the hours listed for pick-up time:<BR>"after hours on request".<BR><BR>On the plus side I want to add--American Express has been really terrific working with us on this--really good customer service.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 05:18 PM
xxx

No, I still think you're missing my point. What was the time listed on the contract for pick up? Wasn't there a time listed? My contract always has one. Was the time listed on the contract 6:45? If not, what time was listed?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:03 PM
Sue

Sorry about your bad experience with Hertz, Paula. My experience with Hertz was the opposite - several years ago, the car we rented from Hertz for use in France broke down mid-trip. Hertz not only provided us with another car, but paid for dinner, overnight accommodations and taxi fare to the nearest airport to pick up the car. <BR>The people at Hertz went out of their way to be helpful. I'd rent a car from Hertz again in a heartbeat.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:37 PM
wayne

Similarly, I've used Hertz in Canada, US, UK, Spain, Italy and Australia and am very happy with their service. Paula's case was an unfortunate incident.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:47 PM
enough

Paula, GET OVER IT! We hashed this all out weeks ago. Is it just an ego trip that you want to dredge it up again? One bad experience does not mean the no one should ever rent from hertz again. I was semi-sympathetic on your earlier thread, but quit whipping this dead horse, OK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -