Folegandros, Crete and Santorini

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folegandros, Crete and Santorini

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions getting to Folegandros from Crete (don't know if that is possible) or from Santorini (by ferry, of course) in mid May, would it be worth trying, it looks like such a quiet, laid-back place with dramatic scenery and good, short walking trips. We're just a little worried about the scarcity of ferries there at that time of year. Also, any suggestions for a hotel right in Chania, Crete - nothing fancy or "package tour type" - something historic near the harbour.
Thirdly, has anyone stayed at Chelidonia in Oia, Santorini or any other ideas for a place on the caldera that is "special" but costs under $130 Euros in mid May? Thanks in advance!!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 03:01 PM
sisterleebore2004

Hello again
You really must be flexible the Piraeus-Folegandros ferry is at present Mon,Wed,Fri 15:00 (according to the Piraeus Port authority) Ferry schedules do change frequently like every few days. I have been to Folegandros on 3 occasions and sometimes there may be no ferry leaving at all for 3 days. Best to connect from Santorini (there may be more from Ios).

Chania - The 'old' hotels around the harbour are really old and basic, not tarted up 'boutique'(uh...uh) hotels, they are also noisy due to the proximity of restaurants and bars. The harbour is not full of boats as it's exposed to the meltemi winds.

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks, sisterleebore - where would you recommend staying in Chania, then as far as general location? or if anyone has any recommendation for a specific hotel.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 11:42 PM

Just 1 or 2 km west of the Old Town are many vacation hotels right on the beach or across the road from the beach. Many of them are small family run places, we stayed at one this past summer. It was not expensive, 35E per night, A/C, four beds and across the road from the beach. Only about 2 km west of the Old Town. The road follows the sea all the way to the west coast and there are regular buses.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:34 AM

Greek ferry schedules vary from week to week so advance planning is difficult. The bigger islands have daily services but Folegandros does not. Today's departures are listed on www.ekathimerini.com under "information services": the ROMILDA is leaving Pireas at 1500 via Paros, Naxos, Ios and Sikinos to Folegandros. From Crete, there are overnight sailings to Pireas every night, from Khania by www.bluestarferries.com and www.anek.gr. There is a direct service two or three times a week from Iraklion to the Cyclades by the DAEDALUS of Minoan Lines (www.minoan.gr).
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:05 AM

hello

Traveling from Piraeus mid-May on a Friday could be problem. Same travelling to Athens from Santorini on a Sunday or Monday.

Thousands of students journey from Athens and other places to some islands usually mid month of May for the weekend. This happens every year so ferry will be very very busy. Perhaps you remember this if your ferry both ways calls at Mykonos as this is very popular for student travel at that time so all ships will be full.

T.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:01 AM

For the Chania hotel I'd go for the Casa Delfino

http://www.casadelfino.com/introduction.htm
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:23 AM
Peep

Yep, stayed at Chelidonia in Oia and loved it! Such a cool place! We fantasize about going back and spending a month in one of their cave rooms.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:09 AM

I once took the ferry from Santorini to Folegandros in April just prior to Easter. The winds came up when I was going to leave the island and the ferry refused to dock and turned around and left. It returned the next day. May weather is much calmer than April so it is less likely to be a problem. Yes the island has some nice walks and beautiful views. Amorgos is also a good island for walking.
In Chania in the old harbour area there are some nice historic hotels. I couldn't afford them but I did look at some of them. I stayed at Anatasia Studios in the old harbour area. It is modern with kitchen. 21 Theotokopouloy. In May I would just walk around this area and check out the hotels. There will be rooms available in mid May.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:53 AM

We were also worried about ferries (from Athens to Folegandros then to Santorini, in September) but found they were more frequent than we expected. I hope you stay at the fabulous Anemomilos Apartments in Folegandros. It was the highlight of our visit to Greece.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. April, could you tell me a little more about your visit to Folegandros? What would you advise we make sure to do and how long did you stay for? Thanks again.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:38 PM

judylynn,

I saw your previous posts. Are you still going to Naxos and Mykonos after Folegandros?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:26 AM

The highlights of Folegandros for me were the breathtaking views and the feeling of stepping back in time. It's not a place for night life and shopping but is great for slowing down.

The view of the stepped hillsides and the sea below from the architecturally designed Anemomilos Apartments is stunning. We stayed a week. Our suite was spotless and large (next time I would request one with an enclosed shower though!) with two balconies and a kitchen, modern but Greek in design. From there you can explore the maze of a town, which is small and tidy but it took us days to figure out. It takes on a festive air in the evenings when restaurants spill out into the courtyards. You can also walk up the zigzag path to the church on the rock that juts out of the sea, walk or bus to Karavostassis where the ferry docks and take the bus to stark/remote Ano Meria. There are a couple of caves on the island. I didn't find the beaches terribly appealing but some people went swimming every day.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your experience in Folegandros, it sounds perfect, just like we ordered.
Yes, we're still hoping to go to Naxos for a few days right after Folegandros and then on to Mykenos which we might limit to a night or two after hearing from everyone here, then on to Athens and Meteora to finish off the trip. Was there any particular reason you were asking or were you just curious??
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:25 PM

judylynn,
I was asking because I am planning my trip to Greece myself, also in May. And there are so many choices out there, so, I want to get more ideas.