Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Foix to Barcelona which way? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/foix-to-barcelona-which-way-1005972/)

RosieinOz Feb 16th, 2014 10:15 AM

Foix to Barcelona which way?

We are two couples travelling in a lease car in Late May and we will be heading to Barcelona from Foix or nearby. We will have one or two nights and love beautiful places and would like to experience Spanish culture, Mountains or beaches.
Our thought is to be within an easy drive to Barcelona the night before arriving there (100 to 200 km) as we have to find the Pl.Forum carpark and get into the city. Has anyone parked here it looks better than driving into the centre.
Any suggestions of a good route to Barcelona is appreciated.
Thank you
Rosie

RosieinOz Feb 21st, 2014 03:33 AM

Ttt

Pvoyageuse Feb 21st, 2014 05:17 AM

See viamichelin.com for a choice of itineraries.
If you want to see mountains, drive from Foix to Ax-les-Thermes. Check the Puymorens tunnel, it will closed in April or May for renovation. If it is closed, you can drive to Puigcerda via the Puymorens Pass, then to Ripoll, Vic and Barcelona. Vic is a very nice town.
If you want to see beaches, drive from Puigcerda to Perpignan, then Collioure, Cerbere and the Costa Brava.

RosieinOz Feb 24th, 2014 03:02 AM

Thanks Pvoyageuse
I think the mountains would be great!
We will be heading around the Cote d'Azure after Barcelona so beaches will be an option then!
Are the roads you mentioned reasonable?
:)

Pvoyageuse Feb 24th, 2014 03:29 AM

If the Puymorens Tunnel is closed, the Puymorens Pass is ... well ... a high mountain road but one with stunning views. I'd check the traffic conditions in Ax-les-Thermes before I'd go. Last year it snowed in early June !
If you want to see the ocean and avoid mountain roads, drive from Foix to Quillan to Perpignan to Collioure.

RosieinOz Mar 3rd, 2014 10:47 AM

Thanks Pvoyageuse
We are thinking of going to Ribes de Freser in Spain from Foix. If the tunnel is closed ( as it appears it will be) and the road impassable is it possible to go another way or is the Puymorens Pass the only way over the mountains?
If clear would you consider it a good road or dangerous, do you drive it?
It's disappointing the tunnel may be closed. Friends went to Ribes de Freser and loved it.
I really appreciate the help
Thank you
Rosie

Pvoyageuse Mar 3rd, 2014 11:39 AM

The tunnel is due to close on April 15 until next November for the second year in a row. The road to the Puymorens Pass is not the only road but it is the shortest. It is not dangerous, it is good but it is a mountain road - the Pass has an elevation of 1915 meters - and it can be difficult depending on the weather (snow). I suggest you check when you are in Ax-les-Thermes or in Foix and see if snow tires or chains are needed.
To avoid it, you can drive from Ax to Mijanes to Querigut to Mont-Louis to Puigcerda and down to Riba Freser. You can also drive from Foix to Quillan and Perpignan, take the highway to Spain, get off at Figueres and drive to Riba via Olot (long detour, excellent roads, no snow).
Or from Foix to Quillan to Axat and up the Aude Valley to Mont-Louis and Puigcerda.

RosieinOz May 22nd, 2014 02:27 PM

Thank you everyone! Special thanks to pvoyageuse! We are presently on the Costa Brava in Llafranc and it's amazing!! On to Barcelona on the weekend!
Cheers
Rosie