Help with Ireland

Search

Help with Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Ireland

My sister and I are traveling to Ireland for the first time in November. Arriving 3rd weekend on Sunday and departing the following Saturday. We have a package with the air, car, B&B's and 1 night castle. From my research I have come up with the following:
Sunday - Cliffs of Moher, stay at Dromoland Castle.
Monday - drive south to Kenmare, stop in Kilarney on the way (?).
Tuesday/Wednesday - drive east to Kinsale, visit Cork, surrounding area.
Thursday - head NE to Kilkenny, visit area.
Friday - stay near Dublin, spend day here.

We are looking for castles, ruins, quaint villages, (Cork and Dublin aside). Does this sound like too many stops? Should I switch the 2 days in one city to another area? I have actually heard that Cork is not nearly that exciting and could be left off altogether (my sister may have a say in that though!). Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I am also factoring in the lack of daylight as opposed to the summer months.)
Thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:49 PM

Sounds like a reasonable plan, overall, for a short stay. Assuming that you arrive Shannon and depart Dublin?

Either way, just a couple of thoughts. Be careful driving the first day, if you're not experienced driving on the left. The roads can be a little narrow and winding through the Burren area - seek out a loop that takes you north of Ennis before heading west to the Cliffs. You will not have seen anything like the Burren before.

Kenmare, when used as a base in high season, is preferable to Killarney, if you want to avoid rampant tourism. The thing is though, Killarney is really the area for the major sights. Kenmare is a place to escape for the night, with good B&B's and restaurants. Given that it's November and the day length is short as you know, I'd stay nearer the national park and maximize the time you have for scenery browsing.

Cork. Hmm, Cork. Save your city dreams for Dublin. Really. Cork is loading docks and a fairly non-descript city center surrounded by 'burbs. I wanted to like it too, but... well, the general area IS nice, just not Cork city. Go to Kinsale, go to Cobh, stop by the towns of Cahir and Cashel on the way to Kilkenny or better yet, stop in one of them for the night. Ruins and castles to satisfy most anyone in those two towns.

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, we are flying into Shannon and out of Dublin.
Was there a specific "loop that takes you north of Ennis before heading west to the Cliffs" or should we ask when we get there. And no, we have not driven on the left side; I was told to keep the middle of the road on my right and I couldn't go wrong. (!)
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:38 AM
LN

If I can add a recommendation. Rent an automatic transmission car. It's way too hard to try to shift with your left hand and stay in the correct lane. As you can see it happened to me!!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:02 AM

I agree with the suggestion to stay in Killarney - You won't be dealing with large crowds in late November, but by the time you are there, Sunset will be around 5:15. And once it starts to get dark , it goes dark in a hurry.

I would actually spend 2 nights in Killarney - give yourself a chance to see the area, because the drive down from Dromoland to Killarney will take around 3 or so hrs. ( you might want to see Bunratty Castle on your way , as well) Use the 1st day just to get to Killarney and then start out fresh with the next full day to see the National park, etc.

Double check all the places you want to see - to be sure they will still be open that late into November. When I was there for my 1st trip (early Nov '00) we found a number of places that were already closed for the season.

Make sure there is enough open in Kinsale to warrant the drive in (pretty narrow winding roads ). Another choice could be to go to Cashel or Cahir for a night before heading into Kilkenny.

As you can probably guess - I am not a big fan of packing up and going to a different B&B every night. It gets very tiring for me , as I am always the driver, to pack up , check out , try to find the new place and get checked in all before dark. I prefer to stay 2 or 3 nights if possible, so every other morning, I can just get up and start sightseeing , and not have to load the car, and drive all morning.
Most B&Bs serve breakfast around 9 am , so you won't get on the road until 9:30 earliest.

Also - the golden rule for driving there is to expect only 35mph. So when you are looking at distances - that is your benchmark.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

We did get an automatic... we can both drive a stick, but neither of us does on a regular basis and I thought why add the stress.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:42 PM

Double check me with your map for these road numbers, but for the Burren loop, you might want to try heading out of Ennis on R476, then veering right on R480. That would take you past some pretty representative areas of exposed limestone, and will take you right past the Poulnabrone Dolman prehistoric site and Ailwee Cave.

Then hang a left on N67 towards Lisdoonvarna and the cliffs.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 01:27 AM

Re. Cork City.
If I was a tourist visiting Cork City, I don't think I'd be too impressed at the moment. Practically every street in the centre has major roadworks. We're getting a much needed facelift and main drainage scheme. Save Cork for another day - maybe in 2005 when the city is European City of Culture. Cobh and Kinsale are certainly worth a visit as Clifton said, but November is probably the worst time of year to expect anywhere to look good.
If you're stopping in Killarney, give yourself a full day as it's the surrounding countryside that's the attraction, not the town itself.
Give yourself plenty of time for driving as conditions may not be too good in Nov. Most of all - Enjoy!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the advice. After hearing this, I am now tempted to limit our B&B's to 3 rather than 4 to save on driving/checking in and out. If we did this, any recommendations what areas to stay in so we could cover Killarney, Cobh, Cashel, Kilkenny and Dublin. I think I can talk my sister out of Cork based on what I am hearing here. Also, given the road conditions there, it sounds like it would be better to stick to the main roads for the most part to shorten travel times.
(Thanks, Clifton for the detailed directions. Wow! You guys are incredibly helpful!)
Thanks again!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Well -
Killarney is a good base

Cashel is a good base for Cahir/ Kilkenny / Waterford. (Cobh might be a bit of a stretch for november from there) --- OR you could base in Kilkenny for the same places - it all depends on whether you prefer a smaller town or a bit larger town.

hope this helps.