Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Southern Italy Itinerary- is this do-able?

Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be basing ourselves in Sorrento in July for 4 nights. We arrive by train from Florence at around 1 pm to Naples. Then, we take the regional train to Sorrento.

Questions-

1- I've read that there are free lockers at Pompeii. Is it a good idea to store our luggage there and tour Pompeii before heading to Sorrento? How many hours does this typically take? We will download Rick Steve's guide on our ipods/iphones.

2- The next day, I was thinking we'd do the SITA bus to Ravello. We start early, take a bus to Amalfi, walk around and then take another bus to Ravello. How do we get back? I read there's a nice hike in this area. Anyone know anything more?

3- on the Third day, go to Capri. I suspect this will be all day. We'll start early.

4- On the fourth day, do a day trip to Naples. We take the regional train back to Naples (takes 1 hour) and then is the archeological museum within walking distance of the train station? What should we do in Naples (of course, we'll eat pizza)?

Thanks!
Manal
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a storage area, not lockers.

>>>tour Pompeii before heading to Sorrento? How many hours does this typically take? <<<

Pompeii is huge. Some people spend the entire day there. Picture a city of 25,000 people and that is about the size.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Pompeii can take 2 hours if you just want to dip your toe or all day. You can get a guide, but they aren't cheap and the quality is quite varied. if you are interested in a guide, I have used one that is fantastic and can give you a better idea of ancient Roman life in Pompeii in 2 hours than most guides can in a day. If you are interested in his number (his English excellent) make another posting.

2. For the return from Amalfi, you can take the bus, but look into the possibility of a hydrofoil from Amalfi. The departures are not frequent, so check the schedule at the dock in Amalfi where the bus leaves you off.

3. You can also take a hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples and back and it's much faster than the train. Again check the schedule for departures.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
#1. There are lockers at Pompeii. I don't know if they're free. Stopping on the way from Florence to Sorrento is efficient, but whether you'll have enough hours before closing depends on your interest/fascination level and perhaps heat-tolerance depending on the temps. We spent an entire day at Pompeii on our first visit and didn't see everything. Take water and maybe an umbrella if you're particularly sun-sensitive.

#2. You'd just reverse your route to get back to Sorrento. Bus to Amalfi, and another bus to Sorrento. The buses will probably be crowded. There are hikes all over the Sorrentine Peninsula, but it may be just too hot. That's your call. You should do some research. Here's one website.

http://www.giovis.com/hikesamal.htm

#3. There's another current thread on Capri.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...i-379461-2.cfm

#4. We walked from the station to the Archeology Museum. Whatever else you should do in Naples depends entirely on your interests and the time left after visiting the museum. The first time we went to Naples, the weather was gorgeous, so after the Archeology Museum we walked to Piazza del Plebiscito (2.2 kms.), had lunch somewhere, then continued walking to Castel Nuovo and the Palazzo Reale. We ferried back to Sorrento. But there are museums, churches, beautiful views from several points (Parco Virgiliano is one) and fabulous villa architecture all over the city.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, do look into arnthal's suggestion of taking a ferry from Amalfi back to Sorrento.