Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fodor's New Format - Another Change Which Is Driving Me Nuts...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Kavey

Firstly let me say before I make any negative comments that I am EXTREMELY grateful to the Fodor's techincal team for providing us with this wonderful site and for all their hard work to improve it for us.<BR><BR>My problem is this.<BR><BR>I read the threads in rough date order, descending slowly down past the first 50 often down into the 200s or 300s.<BR><BR>With the new system when I reply to a thread currently at position, say 130, that thread shoots up to position number 1. No change so far, thats what it should do.<BR><BR>But I also get shot back up to position number 1 and have to click through again and again through each 50 threads to regain my place at around 130.<BR><BR>Is this a problem others have already commented on, if so apologies.<BR><BR>Additionally, I am often having to click on links to open threads about 3 times before they actually appear, though all other site links work fine.<BR><BR>Lastly, because of the new feature where asking for the next 50 threads also pulls through the top thread of that 50 I am having to slow down in my browsing.<BR><BR>The way I have done this in the past is to select the last thread in a 50 to read, and as soon as this comes up, click for the next 50 so they can download while I read the thread I had just selected. Of course I cant do this anymore as that thread is automatically replaced by the one at the top of the next 50, whether I want to read it or not.<BR><BR>Please feel free to forward this to Danny and team with my name, if this any of this is new to be noticed.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 08:50 AM
s.fowler

Kavey--<BR>This is what is happening. Someone posted a "trick" to allow them to view 500 [!!!!] threads on the listing side. If I find it I'll top it.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Kavey

Sally, Yes please...<BR>Or please email the advice to me as I just got thrown out of the site again, and couldnt log on for a few minutes, the same error message as has already been reported by someone else...<BR><BR>Being able to view 500 threads at a go would be excellent....<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Kavey<BR><BR>And where is the Encyclopaedic Rex with the answers when I need him??!!!

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 09:31 AM
anon

Try this:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.cfm?fid=2&amp;rows=500<BR><BR>Its surprisingly fast.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:21 AM
s.fowler

You go anon! That is SLICK!<BR>I assume you can put any number you like in the 500 slot?

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:25 AM
s.fowler

Okay.. I posted to this thread having the 500 on display at the left. This thread now includes my post in "4 responses", but it didn't post...

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:27 AM
s.fowler

NOW it shows ... grrrrrrrr...

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Ed

Hmmm. One wouldn't be surprised if requests for excessive data (e.g. 500 thread titles at a time) might be the cause, or part of the cause, of the poor performance of the Fodors website. Interesting why someone would want to do that anyway.<BR><BR>In any event, the way to post a reply without disrupting your position in the thread list is post using another window. Just right click on the "post a reply" link for the thread instead of left clicking. When you do the right click you'll get a menu. Near the top of the menu you'll find an item something like Open Link in New Window (IE) or Open in New Window (NN). Just click on that menu item. You'll get a new window from which you can post our reply and not lose your place in the original window.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:33 AM
anon

There seems to sometimes be a delay in pulling up some posts. In other words sometimes it will be reported in the left column before you can see it on the right side.<BR><BR>I've just been refreshing the page and it usually seems to have "caught up". Same thing if I get one of these error messages.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:37 AM
elaine

I'm grateful too, but...<BR>I am getting a lot of false error messages. I've been doing a lot of topic searches (which are much faster if you follow the new rules, thanks to Fodor's again)<BR>but too often when I click on a topic message new or old, to read it, I'm getting one of those error messages. In the case of error message received when I click on one of the messages in my search, I lose the whole search and have to start over again. Pushing the "back" button gets me nowhere.<BR><BR>Ed, will right-clicking somehow help me with this as well?<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Joe

While you people are at it, Will any of you Netscape users tell me how I can print a page? Try it and you'll see you can't. Explorer doesn't have this problem. Explain!

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:49 AM
s.fowler

I agree about the 500 thingy -- just wanted to see if it did work -- I'd be more likely to do 100.<BR><BR>OUCH -- you can't "print frame" in "nutscrape" -- you used to be able to override that by trying to print a second time... and fodors has disabled the ability to open just the message side in a separate window... very un-nice.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Gerry

Joe,<BR><BR>This has been asked and answered several times. Try a search. Look at "printing replys". I just gave up on Netscape. Too many problems on new format.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:54 AM
leo

Make sure your in the right frame- the left versus right. I just printed out the right side with netscape (on a MAC) no problem

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Christina

I have Netscape 6.0 and can print this post without any problems, I just did and it's fine. It's true for some reason the mouse doesn't work the same asin IE, you can't "print frame" from right-clicking the mouse, but it does print the message frame if you just click on "File" in the upper bar, then "print" -- that's all you have to do. An anternative quickie trick, instead of opening the "File" folder, is simply to hit CONTROL+P (hole down CONTROL and then type P), that's even quicker. I have a PC, not MAC

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Ed

Elaine:<BR><BR>Yes, posting in a new window will help with the error problem!!<BR><BR>It won't eliminate the errors, but if you get one it will appear in the new window, not the old. Thus you'll not lose your place in the sequence of threads ... quite an improvement. I would have answered your query sooner, except I was getting errors!! <BR><BR>The errors seems to be caused by an overloaded server, though that's just speculation on my part. Since the problem has been going on for the last nearly 24 hours I think I'm getting a bit pessimistice they're going to go away in the short term. I'm sure the Fodors staff are hard at work on it.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:04 AM
s.fowler

That's not working in Nescape 4.7x [I can never remember which I have]

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:10 AM
s.fowler

Doesn't work that way in Netscape 4.76. I'm also on a "windoze" system.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Frustrated

Christina,<BR><BR>I tried your solution and all I get is "No Pages to Print" message. I have Netscape 7.1, the latest brouser they have.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Joe

You're right Wes, it doesn't print in Netscape 4.7x<BR>What now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -