Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fodorites in Paris Jan 14-18? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fodorites-in-paris-jan-14-18-a-491997/)

elaine Dec 22nd, 2004 06:30 PM

Fodorites in Paris Jan 14-18?

Hi
Just taking a survey, wondering who else might be there at the same time

Budman Dec 22nd, 2004 06:31 PM

Are you suggesting a GTG? ((b))

elaine Dec 22nd, 2004 06:35 PM

sure, if all the planets are in alignment and the crik' don't rise

Budman Dec 22nd, 2004 06:37 PM

I'm all for you. Fodorites in my experiences are the best!!!! ((b))

marcy_ Dec 22nd, 2004 07:51 PM

elaine,
dln (who also posts here) and I will be there then --coming home on the 15th.

You can email me at travel_addict
@hotmail.com

dln Dec 22nd, 2004 08:45 PM

Or you can write me at my addy. I'm sure Marcy and I could find time to sip a glass of wine with fellow Fodorites in Paris!

111op Dec 23rd, 2004 02:59 AM

I just bought my ticket for the MLK long weekend. I get in on Jan. 15 and take an early evening flight back on Jan. 17.

I'm thinking of doing the following --

1. Exhibitions commemorating 200 years of the Napoleon coronation (at the Louvre and at the Jacquemart-Andre).

2. Veronese Profane (at Musee Luxembourg).

3. Turner-Whister-Monet at Grand Palais.

Any other interesting special exhibitions that'll be on around that time?

I may visit Villa Savoye in Poissy.

elaine Dec 23rd, 2004 03:04 AM

I don't know about the 14th, it's our arrival day.We've got tickets for the Grand Palais for Saturday morning the 15th. I've got a list of half-day activities (of course) but what we choose on which day will depend on whether or not it's raining. How about Sunday brunch in the Marais?

I'm going with a first timer, so I think we'll be doing a lot of first-timer stuff in our (barely) 5 days--I doubt we'll make it to the Jaquemart-Andre this time.

amelia Dec 23rd, 2004 03:13 AM

We'll be there. I wish I had found the Turner exhibit before Wednesday--the only slots left for the reservation were Sunday evening, so that day will be a bit packed. Still, if you guys are meeting for brunch in Marais, I'd like to swing by for a quick hello.

Had planned on the Louvre re Napoleon, 110p, but didn't know the Jacquemart-Andre also had an exhibit. Thanks for that tip.

111op Dec 23rd, 2004 03:31 AM

Hi amelia, check this out:

http://www.economist.com/cities/brie...mp;city_id=PAR

I always check this. The J-A exhibition is mentioned there.

elaine, I'll write more later.

amelia Dec 23rd, 2004 04:22 AM

111op--Had never seen that website and have also never seen Jacquemart-Andre. I loved their website. Again, thanks bunches for your help.

Do you have a favorite restaurant in that area by any chance?

P_M Dec 23rd, 2004 04:32 AM

I'm there, please count me in. :-)

I will be arriving on the morning of Jan. 16, leaving Jan. 22. Darn, Marcy, I would love to meet you, but you're going home just as I'm arriving. :-( Maybe next time....

If anyone else is interested in a GTG from Jan. 16-21, please type me at [email protected].

C'mon, Budman, buy a ticket to Paris and join the fun!!

111op Dec 23rd, 2004 04:36 AM

Amelia, I don't know enough about the restaurants in Paris. I've only eaten in a handful, and the rest comes from reviews. Actually the funny thing is that I don't think that I've eaten a truly *memorable* meal in Paris -- but then, I've had very few such meals in my life.

As far as the Jacquemart-Andre is concerned, a lot of the people here like it. I've never been, but I thought I'd visit this time. The restaurant in the museum is supposed to be quite good (especially for Sunday brunch) -- so that's always an option.

Elaine, my flight gets in around 11 on the 15th, so I'll miss you at the Grand Palais. Actually I don't know when I'll be there exactly, since I've not made reservations, and I don't know if I want to at the moment.

It should be interesting going with a first-timer -- but I guess you'll have to see the more standard attractions.

As for brunch on Sunday, I don't know if I'll make it -- especially if I go to Poissy to see Villa Savoye, which I very likely will do on Sunday since I leave on Monday and I get in on Saturday. You guys should just schedule the gathering and let me know where and when it is. I'll stop by if I find the time for it.

Thanks!

LoriNY Dec 23rd, 2004 04:48 AM

DH and I went to the Jacquemart-Andre for the first time this past trip. It was really nice. 9.50E is the admission, and that includes the audio guide, which I highly recommend. The Napoleon exhibit was fascinating. The restaurant looked lovely, but it is very, very crowded, about a 45 minute wait - particularly on Sundays! You do not need to pay the museum admission to go to the restaurant.

111op Dec 23rd, 2004 04:50 AM

I guess it's probably a good idea to call to reserve seats at the restaurant. 45 minutes -- that's quite a long wait!

elaine Dec 23rd, 2004 05:21 AM

On Sunday I was really hoping for an early breakfast in the 6th (where?) or early lunch at the Orsay (where we may spend the morning) or else brunch/lunch in the Marais (where we hope to spend the afternoon, barring a downpour.)

The J-A museum, while I love it, is too far afield from where I'm expecting to spend my day, I'm afraid.

I'll be staying in the 6th at the Grand Hotel des Balcons--where will the rest of you be? I'm hesitant to commit 100% because again, I'm going with a non-Fodorite first-timer. But if we choose a place and time, I'll do my very best to be there, solo or a deux.

111op Dec 23rd, 2004 05:26 AM

As usual, true to form, I've not yet booked a hotel. Well, it's still a month away.... :-) Maybe I'll get on here and complain again about how difficult it is to find a room in a few weeks. I think that I want to be on the Right Bank though.

elaine Dec 23rd, 2004 09:27 AM

How about, who ever is interested, email me?
We can figure out the day, and everyone will do their best
I think we should exchange hotel information so that we can confirm on the morning of--schedules may change, weather may be bad, someone may fall ill

[email protected]

111op Dec 23rd, 2004 09:33 AM

Hi, I've just e-mailed you. It's probably a good idea to post the final details here as well (unless people think it's too public).

Thanks.

PJI Dec 26th, 2004 10:17 PM

My husband and I will also be there during this time. If you post the details we may be able to stop by.