Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fodorites: Are these good hotel choices for Milan, Venice and the Lake District?nd Venice?

Fodorites: Are these good hotel choices for Milan, Venice and the Lake District?nd Venice?

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Tim Rourke

Hi - Going to Milan, Venice and the Lake District from Nov 1 to Nov 10. Was planning on staying at the Westin Palace Hotel in Milan and the Metropole Hotel in Venice. What is the consensus of those choices from other travelers?

Also we need some advice on the Lake District. We were hoping to go to Bellagio or another close by town. We will only be there for 2/3 days. Any suggestions on either a hotel or a day spa while there? In my readings, I noticed that most places close for the season on Nov 18th. Will there be ferries and other modes of travel at this time of year if we do not have a car? Is one location in the Lake area better than another at this stage of the season? We want to have something to do while there and not be too isolated.

Thank you ever so much everyone
Tim

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Sharon

Hi Tim,

I've heard that the Metropole in Venice is outstanding. There's a rants & raves section here on Fodors, where you can look up what people have said about their experiences there.
Metropole also has a website, although I can't remember the site name at the moment. I remember looking at their site last year, and the rooms looked very nice. Maybe do a search on google for the Metropole website (metropolit.it possibly).

From many postings on this site, it does seem like Bellagio is the place to stay in the Lakes district. The Belvedere in Bellagio is a place that a lot of people here suggest staying in, if you're going there.

I haven't heard about the Westin in Milan.

Have a great trip!

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Rex

As I have suggested on threads about this subject before, I recommend considering Menaggio as an alternative to Bellagio, if you want a nice place at a lower price. We liked having a car there, and did explore up and down the western edge of Lake Como.

I have nothing negative to say about staying IN Bellagio; I have just never done it. And we very much enjoyed staying in Menaggio - - more info about hotels there if you simply search this forum on Menaggio.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 05:21 PM
julie

can't comment on milan but was just in Venice. Though I didn't stay at the Metropole, I checked out there lobby. It looks fine. My understanding is that prices run $400 and up per night. That's not bad for a canal view in Venice. Nice public rooms. They have a buffet that looked very good as buffets go. I too favor Menaggio over Bellagio for a stay on Como--either the Grand Hotel Menaggio or the Grand Hotel Victoria are fine choices. You can reach Bellagio from Menaggio by ferry easily but I have no data on how late in the season the ferries run.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Richard

TRy hotel Bisanzio in Venice it's a nice small hotel with lovely people.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Jean

We enjoyed staying in Bellagio at the Hotel Florence. Bellagio is very central to exploring all of Lake Como. However, in November it will be extremely quiet and you might better enjoy staying in Como which is more year-round and a bigger town.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Paul

Richard,

I' ve been at BIsanzio. I spent 2 nights and I met really nice people. It was perfectly cleaned and just a couple of minutes from San Marco.

I love Venice

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 12:41 PM
roman

Hey Tim, I stayed at the Belvedere in Bellagio and the room was great. Get a room with a view of the lake and a nice terrace. SPectacular. Don't eat in the restaurant. I asked why such a place had a restaurant with such bright garish lighting and the staff said the Germans like to eat in a brightly lit room. So much for romance!! Make sure instead you have reservations at some of the retaurants in the area instead. Have a great trip!!

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 12:43 PM
roman

Oh yeah, I didn't see the dates of your trip. I was there at the beginning of Oct a few years back and the town was starting to shut down then. You may want to check Como out more closely.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:16 AM
bridget

We just got back from our honeymoon in Venice and Bellagio. We stayed at the Locanda al Gambero in Venice and would definitely stay there again. We rented a car and drove to Bellagio. We stayed a little outside town at Silvio's ( a hotel and restaurant). We loved the view and the food was wonderful. My new husband said he would want to stay there again if/when we went back but I liked the look of the Hotel Florence. I would look into staying there next time. The walk to and from town to the hotel was rough, still don't know why we didn't drive since we had a car.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Helen Donegan

I think you should avoid Como altogether in November.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 05:09 AM
linda

Jean, Could you describe your experience at the Florence? I have always been interested in it. Thanks.

linda

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Frank

Tim: We considered the Metropole on our trip to Venice this past Spring. We ended up with the Europa Regina for just a few dollars more and never regretted it. It was our opinion that the Europa was better located between the Bauer and the Gritti. Since the Europa is a Westin and you are staying at a Westin in Milan, you may be able to swing a deal. We did walk through the lobby of the Metropole, but it wasn't our cup of tea but surely not a bad choice.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 03:36 PM
tim rourke

Fellow Fodorites - I have been quite busy at work here in NYC this week so this was my first chance to reply to each of you for your kind suggestions.

I must commend and thank all of you wonderful Fodorites for your insight and time. How nice is it to have such a great group of folks who genuinely care about one another's travels. Your suggestions were instructive.

We actually did cancel our plans to Como since we now know that it is literally on the edge of the season. I will post another message on Treviso and Asolo- keep your eyes posted!

As well, we opted for Westin Europa and Regina ( thanks Frank) rather than the Metropole for Venice. And for Milan we opted for the Hotel Principe di Savoia. We got a great deal from someone in the fashion industry who provided their corporate rate. Hope we will not be disappointed.

Once again, thank you for all of you who responded. As an aside, I was one of those fortunate people who decided to go into work late to lower Manhattan on 9/11 and am forever grateful. Despite being apprehensive about this trip, not only am I grateful to each of you for your assistance, but literally greatful for life itself. Isnt it great to have folks like you on my side. How wonderful is that.

Thanks and regards
Tim