Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fodorite = meanies (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fodorite-meanies-147590/)

Bippy Jul 20th, 2001 12:03 PM

Fodorite = meanies

Geez-louise!!! You people! All i wanted was a decent plate of spaghetti with gravy... <BR> <BR>I'm gonna' keep my comments about Strasbourg to myself now. <BR> <BR>And, N-O, we're not in Mallorca, nor do we intend to visit. Jerry and I can't speak a word of Ma - LLLLLL - orcanese.

xxx Jul 20th, 2001 12:10 PM

Is this the start of Bippypalooza?!!!!

Bippy Jul 20th, 2001 12:15 PM

Rock on, Hipsters!!!!!!

BOPPY Jul 20th, 2001 12:17 PM

O Bippy, don't worry we definetely (and that is the truth my dear) did not expext you to speak Spanish- you now Mallorco belongs to a country called Spain. In Spain they speak Spanish. It is like in Germany: The Germasns speak German and eat weeeeeeniieesnizzeles! <BR>In Spain they eat paelaaaaaaaaaaa! <BR>Oh Baby, did all the nice fodorites hurt you? PLease do not be angry. deep in their heart they feel for you (how could'T anyone feel sorry for such a dull person like you?). Please tell us some more stories about Strasbourg- any more Germans ruining your wonderful life?????????? <BR>Your mate Boppy

anon Jul 20th, 2001 12:50 PM

Speakng of slamming Germans - Frances Mayes in one of her Tuscan books slams the Germans for having obnoxious children and loud shorts or was it loud children and obnoxious shorts - but in all fairness, Frances slams everyone (except herself). So Bippy, instead of hanging out with Germans in Northern Italy you can hang out with a poet in Tuscany. <BR> <BR>sie note: I found Frances Mayes books inceasingly annoying - she sounds like Martha Stewart's evil fraternal sister .

Trippy Jul 20th, 2001 12:55 PM

Bippy: <BR>Have you ever been out of the county? I suggest you use your time off to take a trip. Maybe you could go to the county fair. If you go to the midway you might even see some gypsies there!

Pappy Jul 20th, 2001 01:00 PM

Does anyone else have any travel suggestions for Bippy? You know, to help him with his cultural education.

kate Jul 20th, 2001 01:03 PM

anon: When I first read Frances Mayes' first book "Under the Tuscan Sun", I thought it was OK not even that good (Peter Mayles humorous "a year in provence" was much better, IMHO). But her 2nd book was full of self-importance (she didn't even recognize her first husband on her daughter's wedding - is that weird or what??), that when I heard from this forum that she intends to move out of her house because of all the gawking tourists, I thought this woman is so UNGRATEFUL - she peddled (sp?) that house everywhere even having videos sold in our local PBS station, that it enabled her to quit her job at the University and live full-time in Cortona!!

Dappy Jul 23rd, 2001 09:34 AM

Bippy, what are your new plans for a holiday?

Christina Jul 23rd, 2001 10:19 AM

I haven't read it yet but did buy the Under the Tuscan Sun book--I found Peter Mayles' book ok but a little too precious and full of patronizing anecdotes (aren't these locals cute and mentally deficient) which I'm sure he embellished. I found it really funny that after he contributed to the ruin of the area around where he lived in Provence and made tons of money, he moved to the Hamptons (!!!!) in the US to get some peace and quiet and privacy away from the place he publicized. I just read something about him recently and he has recovered in the Hamptons and decided to move back to southern France somewhere. I am mostly German (some French and Polish) myself, have lots of German relatives and German friends (not just German-American but German-Germans) and there is something to that shorts things, you know.