Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fodorite Art Hussey (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fodorite-art-hussey-383361/)

bookchick Dec 19th, 2003 05:49 AM

Fodorite Art Hussey

Some of you may remember Art Hussey from this board. He's been absent for some time as he's recovering from a surgery. He's been in the VA Hospital in Long Beach, California, and is awaiting some structural renovations on his house and is in a "hotel" that exists within the VA Hospital.

Art's ability to get online has been limited by his circumstances.

If anybody here at Fodor's would like to drop him a line or a card, I have this address for him:

Art Hussey
VA Hospital, Building 122
5901 East 7th Street
HopTel Room 131
Long Beach CA 90822 USA

Thanks, & happy holidays, all!
BC

Patrick Dec 19th, 2003 05:59 AM

I haven't bought or sent my Christmas cards yet (so can you explain why I'm sitting here now?). But will surely sent Art a card.

A couple years ago while we were staying in LA, Art emailed me inviting me to a Fodorite picnic at his house. It was a kind thing to do, and lots of fun.

adrienne Dec 19th, 2003 06:01 AM

Hi bookchick,

How thoughtful of you to post this message to let us know that Art may be suffering from fodors withdrawal and cannot get on line for a holiday fix. Thanks for posting his address; I'm dropping him a line today.

Happy Holidays from New Jersey,
adrienne

Holly_uncasdewar Dec 19th, 2003 06:19 AM

BC - thank you SO MUCH for posting the update and the address. (And hope you're feeling better, as well.)

Barbara Dec 19th, 2003 07:51 AM

BC, thank you so much for posting this. I also have noticed Art's absence. I'll mail a card to him before we leave for Britain today!

carrolldf Dec 19th, 2003 08:40 AM

Bookchick -- thanks for info. It's good to know that Fodor's is amost like another family.

I have to confess, I never heard of a guy named Art Hussey so was wondering, when I saw the title, what an art hussy was. Okay, so maybe, the term hussy isn't used real often anymore, but I remember hearing about those hussies (defined in my American Heritage dictionary as brazen or immoral woman; saucy or impudent girl) when I was growning up, especially the admonishment from Mom not to be a little hussy. O:)

Glad Art is doing okay and hope everyone has a great holiday season.

(And I guess I did grow up to be a little hussy after all. I've always been somewhat impudent.) :P

bobthenavigator Dec 19th, 2003 09:01 AM

Grazie BC, We all miss Art and I will drop a line.

Betsy Dec 19th, 2003 10:48 AM

Check out a great photo of Art (Mr. SoCal himself) at:
http://fodorite.traveurope.net/sanfran-GTG/SF-gtg.html

At one point Art was tring to get to ALL the Fodor Get Togethers!

Scarlett Dec 19th, 2003 11:18 AM

Art is a big ole sweetheart! He is kind and thoughtful, maybe a touch old fashioned but never mean!
And Smart!!

I write to Art and he knows how I feel and I hope everyone writes to him so he won't feel so alone over Christmas.
Bless your heart , BC, for looking out for those you care about ((L))

Cameron Dec 19th, 2003 11:41 AM

Thanks for posting the link to the photo of Mr SoCal himself. Art's a sweetie!

Treesa Dec 19th, 2003 02:26 PM

Thank you, Bookchick. Happy Holidays to you and yours. I just wrote a Xmas card to Art and am running behind the mailman as I can see his truck at the end of my street. Cheers...

joegri Dec 19th, 2003 02:49 PM

Thanks bookchick. Just popped a card in the mail. We all hope Art recovers quickly.
Happy Holidays to everybody.

rex Dec 19th, 2003 03:35 PM

Any number of reasons to offer a tip of the hat to Art and his past contributions here. To me, he will always be the person who - - by about three weeks - - was the first to do a "Fodorites' trip" - - to Romania (and I'm not sure where else). "Our" Fodorites' trip to Italy came just after his, departing Sep 19 (2001).

Art's trip was only himself and one other person, but it was conceived and at least in part, put together through an announcement here on the forum. A first is a first, no matter how you look at it.

Get well soon, Art... and...

Best wishes,

Rex

Thyra Dec 19th, 2003 04:53 PM

Having been a guest in Art's house and seen for myself what a kind and gracious person he is.. I wish him all the best... now I would send a card to the VA hospital... but I am hoping he won't be there long...:)...

Thanks for posting BC.. and happy holidays to all.

Scarlett Dec 19th, 2003 06:13 PM

Sad to say, if you send a card now to Art at the VA hospital, he will still be there. He won't be going home for Christmas.

adrienne Dec 21st, 2003 07:38 AM

Keeping this near the top.

cigalechanta Feb 5th, 2004 09:55 AM

topping for John.
We all are sending good Karma to Al.
Bookchick I hope you are doing well and will be home soon again.

bookchick Feb 5th, 2004 10:15 AM

Heya! I took a little jaunt to the UK, which was delightful. Surgery's scheduled for March 2nd. I should be in the hospital for 2 days & then recovering for 8 weeks. Art's doing MUCH better now.

BC