Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fodor site log in problem--is this also happening to you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI--I am accustomed to leaving the Fodor site open on my computer and periodically checking in by pushing the refresh button. Lately--it seems ever since the new color scheme--the site will not let me do that. Almost every time I try to refresh it makes me log in again, ie it will not save my sreen name and log in, but makes me repeat that process almost every time I want to check the site. It is very frusrating and if it is a new characteristic of the site, it is *very* inconvenient. Is this also happening to others, or am I doing something wrong? Mind you, this has never happened to me previously....
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:12 AM

No probs here
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:23 AM

No, Fodors is usually very "twitchy" for me because I'm on an older browser. But since the new colors/format change I have been kicked off and forced to log back on on only once -- which is a HUGE improvement.

But I do have a new glitch since the "colors". Clicking on my name does not bring up the latest threads. I click on my name - it brings up threads from about 18-24 hours ago. Then I click again on my name (i.e. click "janis" on the janis list of threads) and it brings up all the threads.

this isn't just once in a while - but every time I access the site.

And the weirdest thing is . . . . If I open a thread the first time I click on my name it only shows older responses. But very often that thread has had new posts and the 2nd time I click on my name that same thread will have more traffic.

I don't think I explained that very well - but one reason I've quit telling newbies to "just click on your name" is I don't know if that feature isn't working right or if it is just my problem.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

HI janis--what you describe was the first "symptom" I noticed and that continues--not showing the newest responses. Maybe my continually needing to re-log on has something to do w/the security features on *my* computer that maybe are sensing some change since Fodor's revamping...I am clueless but it is a real pain.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:35 AM

socialworker -

Do you refresh the page by clicking the "refresh" button on your browser, or do you just click on the word "europe" in the left frame, which is what I do?

I hardly ever have to log in - last time was when they recently updated the color scheme. Peace. >-

Robyn
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robyn--I will use "europe" instead of my browser refresh. It also makes me re-log in many of the times that I click on my screen name to check for new responses. If it is not happening to others--as it seems not to be--it has to be that the problem is in my system.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:21 AM

I don't think that has happened to me a single time since the new Halloween colors. It was happening fairly often a month or two ago. Also since the color change, I don't think I've had that odd thing happen where the entire column of topics seemed to be old ones, or a particular group of "searched" topics.

Meanwhile, I also only refresh by clicking Europe.

And I never log out at all. Even after I've shut down my computer then turned it back on, I only click Fodors on my favorites file and it takes me right to the Europe board which is already logged in with my screen name.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Patrick, are you aware that on IE, you can activate a Favorites Bar at the top of your screen, drag a few of your most visited sites to this bar and click to activate (you can customize this bar to add more sites)? In addition, I use Fodors Europe as my home page, so it automatically comes up when I open IE. It's easy to support my addiction
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:37 AM

no, never had that problem with the refreshing nor requiring me to log in.

I think I have had the problem someone else mentioned about when I click on my name to review the threads I've participated in, it doesn't list recent ones, only old ones. And I think once it listed something totally different (not my threads). But, usually that works.

I never use my browser's refresh button, if I want to refresh, I hit the link again (I save the Europe page specifically for my link, not Fodors homepage).
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:43 AM

If you are being forced to log in every time you come in, it's probably because you aren't allowing cookies, or the one(s) you have in your machine are out of date.

Delete all cookies for fodors.com, set your browser to allow cookies, log in, navigate to Forums, Europe and set your Bookmark/Favorite link to the resulting page. You may now set your browser to disallow cookies and it should still work.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all!!--we tried changing a setting. I will see if this solves the problem. It is so vexing, b/c it seemed to come out of nowhere around the time of the change in the Fodor color scheme. To quote Alice, "Curiouser and curiouser..."