Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fodor's, please put the thread title in the <TITLE> parameter of the <HEAD> section.

Fodor's, please put the thread title in the <TITLE> parameter of the <HEAD> section.

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That way, we can refer back to pages cached in History without having to open each one titled Fodor's Travel Guides | Forums

Thank you.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM

I'd like to second Robespierre's request (and bookmark for visibility's sake).

One other thought I had while reading the "bookmarking" thread-how difficult would it be to allow users to save threads? For instance, a "Save this thread" link at the top (beside "Email this page", for example) and a "View saved threads" in the top frame with the username. Fodor's already does something similar by showing user-contributed threads when you click on his/her name.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM

I do a lot of computer programming, although not web stuff, and I think what you are suggesting isn't the same at all as indexing someone's posts by their screenname which is attached to them and initiates them.

I don't think it would be easy at all to do that and is asking an awful lot of a site that is free. I've never seen such a thing, I just don't think it would be easy.

NOw I could be wrong, see if some web programmer has a different take on it, but the whole idea of "bookmarking" threads on here, which means nothing but listing every single thread you have contributed to the way most people use it, is something I just don't get and doesn't seem to be of any real use. Yes, I know -- we had this discussion before, but I think the people who do that haven't been on here long or only are interested in one area, so they don't realize how unwieldy or useless this gets when they start "bookmarking" hundreds of threads.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Christina is right. The message frame is not connected to the frame at the top. But, Fodor's being the princely folk that they are seem to have magnanimously acceded to your request.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Actually, I thought Christina was saying something completely different, but, what she's saying is still correct. (Even tho Fodor's hasn't granted what djman102 wants.) Making a list of all your entries only requires that you search for messages that have you as the author. Making a bookmark list would require them to have probably another table of your screen name cross referenced with thread id's that you've "bookmarked". (Basically, not that either is hard, but, the second requires doing something, but, the first you sort of get for free, just from the nature of this forums (Meaning, it has to know who posted what anyway.)

Still, they did grant Robespierre's request. Perhaps they were afraid of Robespierre's zeal with the guillotine.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Fodor's. You're my heroes.

(And the knitting-ladies count: twenty-three.)
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 12:29 AM

And, Christina, thanks for the programmmer's insight into my idea. I do a lot of HTML, but not familiar enough with frames or javascript to know how hard/easy a task may be. Meanwhile, kudos to Robespierre for making the suggestion and to Fodors for making it easier for us to find our bookmarked and cached pages!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:55 AM

Now, how about adding into the thread title the "country" search term added by the original poster, so that we know if "HELP!!!" relates to Molvania or Ruritania?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM

djman, I don't do frames or java, either, so my take was from a different kind of programmer's viewpoint. I was just seeing that listing threads by someone's name is fairly obvious as that name is in the post, but trying to keep a special file of posts you want to "bookmark" (not the ones with your name in them) is basically creating separate storage space on FOdors for everyone of these threads they want saved, as I see it.

Because if all you want to do is show a bunch of posts that you have "tagged", that's basically what people do now when they contribute to a thread just so it shows up under their name.

Anyway, I am making no claim to being a web programmer, that's for sure. I do statistical analysis using SAS, that's my main language, and know basic languages like Fortran, PL/I, etc.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM

HA!

"statistical analysis using SAS, that's my main language, and know basic languages like Fortran, PL/I etc." she says!

If only you knew how ridiculously brain dead web programming was!

That's cool that you're programming in Fortran. I miss the days when people would use whatever language fit the task at hand. (Systems stuff in C, scientific stuff in fortran, and if you wanted to, you could write your own language with lex or yacc.) (Basically, the best language to express whatever task you had at hand.) Now, everybody wants to program in one language. (Usually a Java-phile or a perl-phile, or a php-file or what have you.)

End crotchety-old-programmer rant.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Christina, I also do statistical analysis using SAS. I never thought the topic of SAS would come up here on the Fodor's Europe forum