Flying Within Europe

Mar 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Flying Within Europe

Hello!

We are leaving for Europe this week, where we will be visiting Barcelona, Rome and Prague. To get to these cities, we are flying (Vueling for 2 flights, Alitalia for 1).

How early do we need to get to the airports before our flights? In the U.S., I typically budget around 2 hours, and I know that's often a bit excessive. However, I do not want to miss these flights!

Any ideas/suggestions about time to budget at the airport? Any tips concerning intra-Europe flights?

Thanks!
Mar 5th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Think no difference in times than in the U.S.

You will still go through a security line, unless you are transiting from one plane to another. If you're coming from a non-Schengen country (like the U.S.), you will have to go through passport control, which usually doesn't take that long.
Mar 5th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Ask your carrier. Individually, for each flight.

At London City Airport, most international flights (including those to the US) close 15 minutes before takeoff, and there's little point getting to the airport more than a minute or so earlier.

If you're flying Ryanair from almost anywhere, your booking will be cancelled if you've not completed checkin at least (usually) 40 mins before departure, and it's absolutely essential to allow at least 45 mins for queueing before you get to the checkin clerk.

You simply can't generalise. Anyone who does is telling you more about their neuroses (or lack of knowledge of the European airline system) than about how airlines work.
Mar 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM

I flew Ryanair last year from Málaga to Barcelona. The taxi driver thoughtfully dropped me off near the security checkpoint, but I swear it was half a mile through the terminal to the baggage check-in gate. There was then a considerable line for the check-in and that (I swear) half mile walk back to security.

I generally arrive early (confirming Flanner's comment about my neurosis), but I might well have missed my flight if I hadn't done so.

Also, unlike the rest of the civilized world, I don't travel with any kind of electronic equipment like a laptop, tablet, or whatever. I go to a locutorio or cybercafe or the like to check for important emails. Good thing I did that in Málaga, as I had to check-in online with Ryanair or I would not have been able to take my flight.
Mar 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! This is helpful!

Search this Thread