Flying with a CPAP in Europe -2007 style

Mar 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Flying with a CPAP in Europe -2007 style

I have recently started using a CPAP machine. In May I will be flying to Norway via Amsterdam on KLM. Will I be able to bring my CPAP in cabin along with my carry-on? Is there a webpage with a definitive answer? KLM will take at least 4 weeks to answer my e-mail according to their website.

TIA
Mar 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Hi Barb, Cpap machines donot count as a carryon, because it is a medical device. My husband has just recently started using one also, and has taken his to Paris, Rome, and Croatia, as well as various places in the US, and never had a problem. He did have it dusted with some sort of powder in Amsterdam,--they said to check for explosives. But other than that no problem. He didn't use it during the flight though. I have seen other posts here that have said that a special adapter was needed for use on the plane. Also, in case you are worried about sterile water to use with it--the water for the humidifier can be tap water, as humidity is not the same as nebulization--not particulate--so will not carry bacteria. (Unless you dump it, and inhale the water that way!) Just speaking from personal experience--don't know of any web page. The last international flight we took was last summer, and the last Us flight was in Jan. Hope this helps! pp
Mar 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Hi - I have just begun traveling with it also and agree with patti's comments. I do get pulled aside at security and they inspect the bag, I was told to expect that most of the time. Also, be sure to bring an extension cord and adapter. I found that the outlet was not often close enough to the bed to use the machine. Have a fun trip!
Mar 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

I realize that there is no problem in the US but I'm not sure that Europe has the same laws and with the new one carry-on rule to start April 7th through out Europe, I am concerned with having to chose between my CPAP and my other valuables (camera, PDA, iPod). I would love to find something official to show screeners and airlines.
Mar 30th, 2007, 03:13 PM

In fact I've found that the Euros are more likely to let the cpap go through airport security unmolested than the TSAers in the US. But no biggie either way.

Extension cord (I use a heavy duty 15-footer) and extension hose if you have room in your bags.

Don't expect them to let you use it on the plane, though. Major paperwork jungle with most airlines.
Mar 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I'm haven't seen an official page on this but the CPAP and its case is considered a medical device and is not counted. So, you can still take your purse and one carry-on bag along with the CPAP. That's probably not a definitive answer but it is what I've been told and has proven to be correct in my experience.
Apr 1st, 2007, 01:04 AM

I have not had any trouble taking my cepap on board anywhere although I have not used it on board. As mentioned above, take an extension cord.
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:54 AM

I have been using my cpap in Europe and the UK for about ten years.

The advice to take an extension cord is very important, since the distance between the bed and the outlet can be too far for the stock cord.

I had taken US to Europe and US to UK adapter plugs along with a US extension cord for a long time, but the plugs fit loosely into the adaptors and would sometimes give intermittent contact.

I got a great US to Europe adapter plug in the computer department at FNAC, the French electronics store, and bought a European extension cord in a local hardware store. I am going to England and France in a couple of weeks and will try to find a UK to Europe adapter at FNAC or a US to UK adapter of the same type to complete the combination.

I am also hoping to get a smaller CPAP soon because I pack mine in my carryon bag, not in a separate bag. It means that I have to check a second bag if I am going to be gone for more than one night, but having only one bag to worry about is worth the hassle.