Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Flying to Paris, Should I fly United, Delta, American (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flying-to-paris-should-i-fly-united-delta-american-772791/)

mayo14 Mar 12th, 2009 05:19 PM

Flying to Paris, Should I fly United, Delta, American

Hi,

I'm trying to book my Orlando-Paris-Orlando airfare. In your opinion what is a better airline for the overnight trip?

Good deals right now on all listed,

Thanks!!

Mayo

dulcepaola Mar 12th, 2009 05:25 PM

for me United or American Airlines

eboy Mar 12th, 2009 05:30 PM

All three of these airlines will give you comparable service, I have traveled to Europe on American and United. The last time I took United, we sat on the tarmac at Charles de Gaulle Airport for seven hours locked in the plane and then set out for our 12 hour flight home. They offered candy bars while on the ground, reserving the food for the in-service meal. Domestic airlines do an average job. That being said I am traveling to Italy in a couple of weeks on Delta because of the incredible fare. Before you buy check the international airlines one more time. Have a great time!!

MademoiselleFifi Mar 12th, 2009 05:31 PM

I usually choose a Delta code-share flight operated by Air France, not just to collect Skymiles but because hearing the language on the way back extends the vacation for just a few more hours and makes the return flight a little less depressing.

Guenmai Mar 12th, 2009 11:26 PM

I've been on United and Delta's frequent flyer program for decades and thus fly them to Paris. Either one is fine. In a few weeks, I'll be taking Air France, through cashed in frequent flyer miles on Delta, as they're partners. Happy Travels!

Therese Mar 13th, 2009 01:27 AM

All three of these mainline U.S. carriers will offer very similar experiences, and I wouldn't choose among them based solely on the name. There are, however, important discriminators that you can use to decide for a particular flight.

1. Do you subscribe to any of these airlines' loyalty programs? And if so do you have status with any of them? Probably not, given that you're even asking this question, but if you did then using that airline would earn you miles and also probably offer you perks like early boarding and better seating.

2. Which option offers the best schedule? Note that one person's definition of best may differ from the next person's. For instance, if it's an overnight flight I prefer the latest one possible so that I can skip the meal on the plane and go right to sleep. Is a direct flight possible? If you have to make a connecting flight where will it be, and if that connection is on your return flight (where you'll have to deal with U.S. immigration and customs) then the efficiency of that airport might be a factor, and the time allowed for the layover possibly an issue.

3. Do you plan to use the airline's in-flight entertainment? These can vary quite a bit for the same airline, so figure out the sort of equipment that's planned for a particular flight and the check it out at seatguru.com.

travelgourmet Mar 13th, 2009 01:41 AM

I think they are all pretty comparable.

Personally, I would probably choose Delta, simply because I would rather connect in Atlanta than in Miami, Dulles, O'Hare, or JFK, which I assume would be your options with the others.

This of course assumes that you don't care about frequent flier miles. If you do, I would just go with whichever is affiliated with your preferred program.

avalon Mar 13th, 2009 01:55 AM

We've flown both Delta and American from Orlando to Paris.As long as I can connect thru Atlanta, Miami or Cincinnati , they are both fine. I hate connecting thr JFK or Chicago. Once we even had to connect thru Dallas , makes the trip way too long. Go with whoever gives you the best connection.

gracejoan3 Mar 13th, 2009 03:23 AM

I don't think you can fly to Paris from Orlando without making a connection.

I go regularly and connect eith ATL or CVG. I much prefer the CVG airport. Best availability for me is Delta and their codeshares. I would not connect up the east coast.

I don't think it makes any difference which airline. The overnight flight is miserable on all of them! I stay for a month now..that way the flight doesn't come up so fast!

ira Mar 13th, 2009 05:23 AM

Hi may,

Cattle class is cattle class.

I prefer, if I can, to fly AF. They codeshare with Delta.

((I))

lrock5 Mar 13th, 2009 05:42 AM

We always use Air France