Search

Flying solo without husband and kids?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying solo without husband and kids?

Hello:
I'm a mother and joining a tour group in Paris leaving husband and teenagers behind for the first time. We always travel together but this time going alone.
Don't know how to deal being in a plane without them? For some of you with my situation how did you manage on this long transatlantic flight wihtout them on your side?
help me deal with my nerves! thank you.
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:16 AM
itleyen

Is fear of flight a concern - or some danger onboard - or being alone with strangers? And why did you book a solo trip - would it help you to think back and recapture those feelings? I hope you'll feel better once onboard, realize you're among fellow travellers, just like you, and look forward to a happy tour in Paris. Think of all the stories you'll have to tell, and how proud your family is you're doing something you want to do. Perhaps you're unsure about putting yourself first this time. Go and enjoy!

Old May 9th, 2003, 10:55 AM

You can do what most of proud mothers (and especially grandmothers) would do - bring a bunch of pictures and show to everybody on the plane and on the tour!

On a serious note tape their voices wishing you a great tour and how happy they are to have a vacation from you. Listen to the voices during the flight.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Bootman4U

And please wear whatever you think looks good on you and feels comfortable on the flight

Old May 9th, 2003, 03:04 PM

At first I thought you were kidding. How to enjoy flying solo on a transatlantic flight? Let's see...

Read a book without being told someone needs to use the restroom for the 10th time

Enjoy a glass of wine without fearing a wild GameBoy controller will not knock it over

Smile at the thought of never hearing, "Are we there yet?"

Give thanks that no one next to you is singing, "The wheels on the bus go round and round...."

I'm sure there are a myriad of others. *chuckle*

Enjoy this time on your own. Recharge the batteries. Traveling sans family is nice from time to time.

I'm taking off solo in 5 days for Scotland. I'll miss my kids (and they're great travelers... lol). But the freedom to do whatever I want for two weeks will help the Missing-Them Blues. A few calls home won't hurt either.

Have a terrific time in Paris!

~ Sheryl
Old May 9th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Let me put it the very American way - 'You go girl!'. Don't worry about the family. They will be okay and sometimes its good to get away for a little while. Enjoy yourself!
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:44 PM

My first solo flight to Europe was to spend Christmas with my daughter who was studying in Strasbourg for her jr. yr in college, and I was leaving my husband and son behind. I had prior misgivings for several reasons, but it turned out to be a wonderful trip, and everybody survived just fine back here w/o my cooking the Xmas dinner, etc. Just give yourself permission to go and have fun; get a good "page turner" book for the flight!
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:01 PM

Can I come?
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:12 PM

I'm not sure I understand what your concerns are, but then again, I travel without my husband and kids a lot. How to deal with being on a plane without them? Well, have a glass of wine and settle in and watch the movie and be glad no one's poking you every ten minutes to ask "Mom - can I get out to go to the bathroom?" Do your kids usually keep you calm on flights? Are you a particularly nervous flyer? If so, ask your doctor about sleep aids (I'm a nervous flyer, but nothing helps, so I just brave it). Flying without my kids and husband isn't any less stressful for me than flying with them - in fact, I think I'm better when I'm alone because I don't want my neighbor passengers to see me freaking out when there's bad turbulence, so I fake being calm (when I'm with the family, I grab my son's hand or my daughter's arm and attempt deep breathing).
And you're the one up in the air - they're safe at home, right? In my experience, your biggest worries are that when you get home the place will be a wreck and you'll have three times as much laundry to do as you usually do. Go, enjoy, call them every day, and have a great time. You deserve it - and it's good for them to have to cope on their own every once in awhile, too. You all win.
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:38 PM

I am going through the same thing this summer. I am going to Europe to study abroad for a semester. I am leaving my husband and two sons home. I am flying alone for the first time and am a little nervous and am a little nervous about studying in Europe.
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Hello:
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the kind encouraging words.
This is my 4th trip to Paris but first time to fly alone. Yes I freak out when there's turbulence but this time I'm just going to deal with it and look forward to this wonderful trip and independence for 2.5 weeks!
thanks again!