Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying open-jaw to Lisbon and out of Madrid or Barcelona need to pick one??

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, initially I was planning a trip to Greece for the entire month of September, but due to the airfares being out of budget range and two friends that would like to go, but canít this year, Iíve decided to go a different route, i.e., flying into Lisbon for 8 days and then on to Spain for the remainder of the trip.

In pricing the airfare, I will be flying open-jaw from Washington, DC into Lisbon and returning from either Barcelona or Madrid. Barcelona is much cheaper to fly out of, but not sure which is the best base of the two. I know most of you have your favorites in Spain, but for someone traveling solo and not planning on renting a car, but would rely on public transportation which would be the ideal base? Iím looking for a more relaxed trip where I can walk at my leisure and absorbing the sights of the city and locals, possibly a beach town and maybe some hiking if thereís any in Spain. Also, is it possible to do a day trip from either Barcelona or Madrid?

Thanking you in advance for your comments.
jdc
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM
yk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you still going for 1 month?
You're planning to spend 8 days in Lisbon, which I take that it means you'll have the remaining 22 days to spend in Spain?

You can visit Andalusia, Madrid, AND Barcelona in 22 days. I would fly out of BCN if it's a lot cheaper, after all, it's only a 2.5hr train ride from Madrid to Barcelona. Regarding day trips from Barcelona and Madrid, there are many, many choices to keep you busy for a whole week. I'd suggest you get a Spain guidebook and see what interests you and decide on your itinerary.

Spain is well served by train system, so traveling around by public transportation is fairly easy in general.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks yk.

Do you think Lisbon is worth spending more than 8 days? I was thinking at that time of year, Spain would have much better weather-wise or are they the same? I'll definitely book the flight out of BCN.

jdc
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
yk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with Portugal, but I'm sure you can find lots of information here if you do a search here for Portugal.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've been reading so far, it sounds like an amazing place.

BTW, I enjoyed your trip report to Spain and it was what inspired this trip after Greece did not pan out.

jdc
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At that time of yawr Lisbon will be quite warm and Spain will be hot to hot as hell (in the south). In 22 days in Spain you can see the south (and do spend some times at the beach as well as in the White towns and moorish-influenced cities, then Madrid ( a couple of days plus Toledo) then Barcelona - which also has a beach and will have more moderate weather.

Don't think there' 8 days of stuff to do in Lisbon, we were there 3 which was pleny - so you'll need t pick some other things to see there.