Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying JFK to Venice, is it worth the extra $$ for direct flights ?

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying out of NYC to Venice this Oct., and returning from Barcelona 2 weeks later. Delta has direct flights both ways for about $1,275 US each, vs. Swiss Air at $800 ea., and Iberia at $900 each. So, $475 to $375 each diff. in price ($950 to $750 total savings)

Swiss Air has a 45minute stopover in Zurich on the way over, and 1:25 in Geneva the way back. (actually, not much wiggle room for delays ?) and Iberia has a 3 hour layover going, and 2 hours returning.

I say the price premium for non stop is worth it, particularly after 12 days on a cruise. However, the wife says otherwise. (and we know who the boss is !)

Any advice from experienced pond jumpers is appreciated !

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:04 AM

If you don't mind hanging around airports for a while, I'd say save the money (spend it during the trip) and do the non-stop. If on the other hand you want to get there quicker, splurge. If it only were $200-300 I would go for non-stop. However, you're talking more money. Have fun whatever you do.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:04 AM
ira

Hi moose,

You can do a lot for $800 in Venice and Barcelona.

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Just depends on what $950 is worth to you. Each person sees it differently. In another angle, you're paying over 50% more for the non-stop.

I would take the one-stop, since I'm a cheapo. But you need to decide for yourself.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I would take the nonstop flight for more money. No question about it.

Or find connections with more time. I would not be comfortable with 45 mins. to change planes. Too much can go wrong.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all.....for those of you who support the cheaper one stop, did my wife call you to get you to say that ! ha !
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 09:28 AM

I flew SwissAir in 2003, and they were very good with their connections. On my way back from Rome (I think), there was a delay, and they rerouted us to a different Swiss city -- I can't remember if we switched from Geneva to Zurich or vice versa.

And if I remember right, the transatlantic leg even waited for us, as there was a further delay.

Obviously things could have changed in three years, but if they're still as responsible as they were, I'd not worry about the short connection on Swiss Air.

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I hate stop overs - they look fine on paper but area pain when you have to do them. Having said that $950 can but you a nice piece of glass from Venice. Before booking the 45 mins stopover route I'd want to know when the next flight were - i.e. if you delayed on either leg how long would you have to wait until the next flight - if it's only a few hours I would go for that route. even if your flight was delayed you might end up in the same position as the Iberia route. Do not know either airline so cannot comment on comfort - check out Seat Guru for that
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Swiss is very good at doing things efficiently. However, backtracking from Barcelona to Switzerland isn't exactly a direct route.

Can I suggest that you re-check the rpices on Delta -- $1,275 seems very high for that time of year. If the price still comes back at that fare, you might check the price if you leave for Venice 1 day earlier or return from BCN 1 day later.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Two issues:

1)The connections on Swiss Air sound way too tight for me - no mater how efficient the airport and airline.

2) I woud never consider connecting flights unless the savings were truly significant. It's just too much of a hassle and too many potential problems. Only you can decide how much money is truly significant. For us it would be a whole lot more that $700 to $900 for 2 people. (Consider this as a portion of your entire trip cost.)

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM

If you've got anything more than carryon, I wouldn't switch planes.

I would also be very careful about switchovers in Madrid through Iberia, because the new Iberia terminal at Barajas requires taking a bus quite a distance, and then the new terminal is enormous, complex and understaffed, meaning long waits to check and then even longer walks to the departure gates.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

when you consider how much the cruise is costing, plus, all the tours etc., plus whatever we eat, drink and buy, what's another couple hundred bucks ? so what if the kids don't go to university next year !!! LOL

well, I took your advice, and if we leave a day later from Barcelona, the price drops to $1,800 from $2,550 ! so, even with $150-$200 hotel in Barcelona, I think we're still far ahead of the game !

Fodor's posts to the rescue one again !

Now, any Barcelona hotel recommendations ? better seach the posts first !