Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying into Madrid, but don't know if it is that appealing. Would we be fools to skip it?

Flying into Madrid, but don't know if it is that appealing. Would we be fools to skip it?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:23 AM
julie

We are planning a 2 week trip in the beginning of March and planning to head to Andalucia. We've seen a video on Madrid and done a little reading about it. Other than the Prado I don't know if it looks all that appealing. Seems like a big, pretty modern city. We're not into night life so that's out. Would we be fools to just skip it altogether?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Another Julie

I plan to skip it next trip, but am glad I saw the Prado and Sofia. Also, it is a good place to stay for day trips to Toledo and Segovia, but if I was in that area again, I'd stay in Toledo or Segovia and maybe make a day trip to Madrid to see the museums. The food was really good in Madrid too.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Dick

I thought the side trip to El Escorial was well worth it and also the museum that has Picasso's Guernica - forgotten the name, sorry. Otherwise it's another city, though one that's filled with a lot of nice tapas bars.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:58 AM
susan

Madrid is a big city where they speak Spanish. Aside from the Prado, I did not find it all that compelling. On the other hand, I thought the countryside of Spain was incredible and Seville remains one of my all-time favorite cities.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Rachel

We too are going to Andalucia in March. We are going to spend a night in Madrid and will be visiting the Prado, but I agree with Julie, if you're not really into the nightlife, it doesn't look all that appealing. Also have heard several bad stories concerning pickpockets, etc. from people who I don't consider to be particularly paranoid about such things. Will be staying at the Intercontinental. Any recommendations regarding restaurants, etc.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:21 PM
xxxx

Well, travel should include doing some homework in advanced, not just let it be &quot;appealing&quot;. Read a little, don't use MY experience to see if Madrid will interest YOU. <BR><BR>Some people will never be more than a tourist.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Graziella

Hi, first of all, the Prado is not any Museum, it is one of the best, if not the very best, there is something special about it, the quality of the art exposed, the light, the size,the qulity of the inf. ...not to be missed. <BR>No.2 if you are flying from the US, with the change of time etc. you probably arrive needing some rest before embarquing in takin a car, or train and going to some other city.<BR>At least a one day stay will be a wonderful experience in my view. Be sure the Prado is not closed, I think it is closed on Mondays, ,,please check.<BR>The Plaza Mayor area, or the Plaza Santa Ana is fun for tapas, in the latter La trucha is a nice place for tapas. A visit to the nearby Monasterio del Escorial is ten points, from one to ten.<BR>Of course there are many more places to visit and things to be done in Madrid but I agree the rest of Spain in fantastic. ....be careful, as in any big city.<BR>Have fun. Buena suerte.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:22 PM
paul

you have to spend several hours in the Prado if only to see the Velasquez and Goya material and at least an hour in the Reina Sofia to include Guernica. if you are at all interested in arms and armor from a historical point of view, the museum at the Palacio Real is newly renovated. Have some tapas., a late dinner and head for the countryside--see Toledo on your way home.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:28 PM
julie

Dear xxxx<BR><BR>Apparently you didn't read my message. I have done my basic homework and didn't find much about Madrid that appealed to me. That is specifically why I am asking if there is something I missed about the city that would turn it into a must visit place.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:22 PM
CharlieB

Julie - tell us what does appeal to you and perhaps we can help. Yes, Madrid is a modern bustling city and its &quot;tourist&quot; sights can be seen in a day or two, but it is an excellent starting point for the must sees of Toledo, Segovia, and Avilla plus other less touristy areas, and as such is definitely worth a 2-4 day stay.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:37 PM
GinaB

With the exception of the Prado, which is arguably the best museum in the world, we hated Madrid and got out of there very quickly on our first trip to Spain.On subsequent three trips we didn't even stop there. We thought it was ugly and unappealing, and the rampant petty crime, which we witnessed on three separate occasions during a three-day stay, left us cold - one incident wasn't even that petty, an attempted knifing in a tourist shop. The city has decent food, lousy shopping, and little ambience. The people are reserved to the point of being completely indifferent.<BR><BR>By contrast, we loved Toledo, Sevilla, and Granada (and Cordoba, which we only stayed in for half a day). Some of the sights around Madrid are interesting, El Escorial being prime among them. But Madrid itself - sorry. I've been to almost every European capital, some many times, and Madrid ranks REALLY low in my opinion.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:35 PM
julie

Charlie B--<BR><BR>Maybe I can give you some comparisons as far as large cities. We loved Prague and Krakow. Next place would have to go to Budapest, Paris and Vienna. But, frankly have found that we often prefer the smaller less known off the beaten path type of places to large cities. Like charming places, interesting traditional architecture, ambience, classical concerts in intriguing old locations, colorful local markets, beautiful gardens, doing a lot of walking in interesting areas, historical and cultural highlights, interesting and inexpensive local food, and we prefer to stay in inexpensive family owned individualized lodging rather than chain type hotels. Not into the bar scene, contemporary architecture, shopping, being trendy, huge bustling metropolises, feeling like I could be in any large city downtown anywhere, cold modern hotels. Now, do you think I'd like Madrid? Guess I should also add that we are middle aged so we are not looking for the in spot to be. Thanks.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Hank

I'd vote against Madrid. We found it boring and uninteresting. The only good think to say about it is that it is near Toledo

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Joyce

Madrid does not have much in the way of charm. However, it does have a few cultural treasures, and if you are passing through anyway, I would give Madrid a day or two. <BR><BR>These were the highlights for me: <BR><BR>1. Museo de Am&eacute;rica: an incredible collection of pre-Hispanic art<BR><BR>2. Convento de las Descalzas Reales: a former convent with beautiful frescoes and other art treasures<BR><BR>3. Going to a bullfight. I did not expect to enjoy this, but it turned out to be a fascinating cultural experience. <BR><BR>4. a side-trip I took to Toledo. The interior of the Toledo Cathedral is incredible, too beautiful for me to express in words. <BR><BR>I know this is a minority opinion on this forum, but I was not that impressed with the Prado museum. It contains several wonderful pieces (notably the Velazquez and El Greco collections), but compared to other large museums I have visited, the Prado's collection is not that extensive or diversified.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 01:38 PM
CharlieB

Julie - I hope I didn't sound rude, because my wife and I actually share your feelings as to travel. Given your preferences I would recommend 1-2 days in Madrid, but then use it as a base for day trips to the spectacular smaller cities of Avilla, Segovia, Cuenca, and perhaps even Salamanca. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 10:13 AM
julie

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I think our plan will be to skip Madrid and take the AVE straight to Cordoba where we will do a little sightseeing and recuperate from jet lag.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 11:43 AM
JoAnne

Julie, bad desicion to skip Madrid on account of somebody else's opinion of what is or what isn't &quot;appealing&quot; to them. Well, a deserving result of a badly framed question.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:17 PM
tess

To enjoy and understand Madrid and its<BR>history there's one prerequesite: To read Don Quijote de la Mancha in its original version. You have to be one of those people that have &quot;angel&quot;. It's some type of Spanish charisma. But then I find something special and unique in each place I visit.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 05:13 PM
CharlieB

Julie - enjoy your trip. There is certainly enough to see and enjoy in Andalucia for 2 weeks!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 05:23 PM
mymadrid

I hate to disappoint you but Sevilla is more than just quaint streets! Madrid's old part of town is great around the Plaza Mayor as is the architecture of buildings such as the Royal Palace,the post office,the fountains.I've never seen a good video of Madrid but I know it well and would move there in a second.I guess that what makes traveling so interesting.It really is in the eye of the beholder

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -