Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/flying-into-london-and-flying-out-of-edinburgh-1205888/)

nutsnbolts Feb 21st, 2017 10:17 AM

Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh

So I have already booked my round trip ticket in and out of London Heathrow. After further planning this trip, I'm now realizing that i think we will spend the 2nd half of the trip in Edinburgh. I think the best option is to do an open jaw ticket and fly out of Edinburgh. The question is as follows;

1. The new open jaw ticket is about 133 more than what I currently have flying in and out of Heathrow, is that worth it to begin with? I think based on my plan while in Edinburgh, 1 day is taking a flight out of Edinburgh back to Heathrow and catching a flight back home from there. It seems like a wash. The pro with this is that I don't need to go back to London obviously.

2. Any other airports or Edinburgh is pretty much the straightforward airport?

I know these questions may be obvious but I wanted to throw this out there to make sure it makes sense and I'm not missing anything.

Once I can confirm this with all you experienced travelers, I will cancel and re-book accordingly.

Gardyloo Feb 21st, 2017 11:11 AM

No, your logic is quite sound.

Depending on where you're flying (I assume N. America east coast) there are some nonstops from Glasgow airport too, but if you're going to be in Edinburgh anyway, just go from there. Turnhouse is an easy airport to use.

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2017 11:17 AM

Does anyone ever fly in or out of Prestwick Airport anymore -years ago it seemed the main airport for Scotland but you never hear of it anymore? Used to have direct trans-Atlantic flights I believe.

Just curious.

janisj Feb 21st, 2017 11:34 AM

Prestwick doesn't have transatlantic service - and hasn't for decades.

Macross Feb 21st, 2017 11:47 AM

Time is money, I would pay the extra and do open jaw.

RAF Prestwick, do they share a runway with Prestwick airport? We see space a flights there often form the US. I would love to score seats on that flight.

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2017 12:49 PM

We see space a flights there often form the US. I would love to score seats on that flight.>

Prestwick doesn't have transatlantic service - and hasn't for decades.>

Well someone is wrong it seems!

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2017 12:58 PM

I misread Macross and did not notice he was referring to Prestwick RAF (though should have) and referring to space on military flights - there seem to be no passenger service across Atlantic (as I surmised in my OP) - seems only freight services but of course military planes would use Prestwick - which has its own train station with service to Glasgow and beyond.

Macross Feb 22nd, 2017 01:08 AM

That is good to know Pal. I read a bit more about them last night and it is a five min drive to the Prestwick airport so they must share the same runway. Train and bus stops also to Glasgow. Mildenhall is our only other UK base.

Nutsnbolts, does the 133.00 include change fees?

thursdaysd Feb 22nd, 2017 01:17 AM

Taxes should be less flying out of Edinburgh.

PalenQ Feb 22nd, 2017 03:39 AM

Nutsnbolts, does the 133.00 include change fees?>

Landing fees? Presumably paid to RAF?

janisj Feb 22nd, 2017 03:46 AM

>>Nutsnbolts, does the 133.00 include change fees?>

Landing fees? Presumably paid to RAF?<<

The £133 has nothing at all to do w/ RAF Prestwick . . . Back on the paint are we??

Macross Feb 22nd, 2017 12:59 PM

Pal, she said the change was 133 difference but I was asking if that included the change fees to her ticket which can be high.

We don't pay anything when flying space-a, we do if it is a patriot express flight but very small fee.

PalenQ Feb 22nd, 2017 04:47 PM

Macross - OK - but to be perfectly clear you pay no landing fees like at regular airports>?

Anyway as janis surmises too much 'paint' to read correcting

Nutsnbolts, does the 133.00 include change fees? On the totally free flights - no surcharges for that? I conclude not so only correct me if wrong!

I thought, bizarrely, granted, that you really meant charge fees - like does the price include landing fees!

I'm a little slow on the old uptake these days!

Cheers!

Macross Feb 23rd, 2017 04:01 AM

Pal, it is ok, should not have mentioned it in the post. We just see the Prestwick flights from US bases and has us thinking about trying for one of those flights.