Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying into Brussels, and then to Bruges- a few questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're arriving in Brussels early in the morning (end of May)- will be heading to Bruges to spend a few days. So- after we arrive at the airport, how do we then make our way to the train station? And, I'm not clear if train tickets for Brussels to Bruges are the type that should/could be bought ahead, or do you just show up and buy them at the time? (Both in terms of best price, and more times to choose from.)

Also, I thought I read here somewhere, the idea of seeing the town square area in Brussels as long as we're there, instead of rushing off to Bruges right away. So then we'd have to get from the airport to the town square area, and then to the train station later- was trying to picture this, pulling along our luggage- if this idea makes sense, how would we do it?

thanks for any help! (and after a few days in Bruges, we'll be taking a train from Bruges to Amsterdam- same questions about getting the train tickets- maybe I should ask that separately!)
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM

The train station is underneath the airport terminal. Trains to Brussels Nord and Midi leave about every 15 minutes. Don't try walking to the city centre with baggage. There are certainly lockers at Midi, I don't know about Nord, but probably. It will take you about 20 - 30 minutes to walk there from the station.

There are plenty of services onward to Bruges. No need to pre-purchase tickets.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
tn

Alternatively, you can take the train from the airport to the Brussels Central station. This station is about four blocks from the Grande Place (main square). It also appears to have non-stop service to Brugge, which would make it easy to get in and out of the Grande Place. I do not know if it has lockers, but it may. If it were me, this is how I would do it if I wanted to stop in the main square. I also agree that you should stop there and look around. It won't take more than an hour or so.

The ride from the airport to the Brussels Central is around three euros. You should purchase your Brugge tickets on arrival, not in advance.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM

The way to check for station facilities, such as lockers, in Belgium is on the Belgian Railways website.

Though apparently in English, the facilities search page (http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/practical...ties/index.php) recognises only station names in the official language for the place concerned. So it's BRUSSEL CENTRAAL or BRUXELLES CENTRAL (Brussels being officially bilingual, but the website won't accept French in a Flemish speaking area or vv).

If you need to check anywhere else, there's a list of official names at http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/common/li...ions/index.php
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for those specific responses- just what I was looking for!

Thought I would go ahead and ask you experts the same thing about train tickets from Bruges to Amsterdam- buy them before we leave home? Since we'll be in Bruges several days, we could get them a day or two ahead, if that makes a difference- they seem very expensive!
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM

Here's some information on what to do in the Brussels Grand Place: http://www.brussels-belgium-travel-g...randPlace.html

Make sure you get some Belgium chocolate while you're there:
http://www.brussels-belgium-travel-g...chocolate.html

The Grand Place is a five minute walk from Central Station. I would recommend spending your first night in hotel near the Grand Place and then going on to Brugges. The Grand Place is not to be missed at night...plus there's a lot to see and do in the area.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM

There are lockers and also a service counter to leave your luggage at the Central station. One flight up from the tracks. I think it was near the elevator for tracks 4/5.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM

We flew into Amsterdam and out of Brussels. We had the 5 day Benalux pass using it for the four most expensive day trips in Holland and trip from Zandvoort to Bruges. We stopped in Brussels for a day after leaving Bruges and had to buy two tickets, from Bruges to Central Station and from Central to the airport.
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We did the same thing you did a few years ago.

We arrived in Brussels at 9:40PM from Budapest.

Somehow we got our luggage, went thru customs and found our way to the train track in time for a 10:05 train.

Due to the time of night I decided to bypass the ticket machines and hope for the best.

The train master (conducter) sold us the tickets straight thru to Brugges on the train. He printed them right in front of us.

We got to Brugge about midnight and waited around 15 minutes for a taxi to pass.

On our first full day in Brugge we walked over to the train station and bought tickets to Amsterdam to be used the following evening.

Brugge does not play fair. It has to be the most beautiful small city anywhere.

You can see my trip photos at:

www.travelwalks.com

Select the 2006 trip and make your way thru the photos to Brugge (sorry, no way to skip).
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Go into Brussels Central station. The lockers-look for the Consigne signs-are by Track 1 or 2. I think Track 1. It costs 3.7 or 3.8 to store a bag, though there are lockers around the corner for 3E, I believe (this was for one that fit just a roller bag). If you have many bags you might be able to save money by sticking them in one big locker.

If you have 3 or 4 days in Brugge, you should definitely check out Brussels. Brugge is pretty, but the sights can be seen very quickly.

Be careful in Brussels to get the right train-they pack them in there, and there is a train going by every few minutes for each platform, it seems.

I went from Amsterdam-Brugge. Buying my tickets the day before, it cost 44.4E. I would wait until you were at Brugge to buy the tickets. They said I could take "any train" I wanted. Which was good, because I missed my connection in Antwerp (the connection time was only 20 minutes, and my train to Antwerp was late). I had to wait an hour for the next one. Alternately, I could've transferred via Brussels, but the conductor said that it was easier and faster to transfer via Antwerp (and the connection times were similiar.)