Flying in and out of London

Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Flying in and out of London

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be flying into Heathrow on Nov 17 at approx. 21:05 hrs and then out again from Luton the next morning at 05:45 hrs. This is our first time to London and Paris and need some help getting between the airports. Any good suggestions? Any cheap places to stay for a couple of hours? We need to check in to Easy Jet at least 90 mins prior to the morning flight....ugh...
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:51 PM

That is a really nasty itinerary. You have to be checked in at Luton by 5AM at the VERY latest, and public transport won't get you there early enough. So your best solution would be to stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Luton.

There is a coach that you can take from Heathrow to Luton on the 17th - You will be lucky to get to Luton by midnight so be sure to guarantee your room.
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM

And if you're flight into Heathrow is delayed much, you won't make your connection save for a very expensive taxi ride! What a daft itinerary. Next time take the Eurostar London-Paris for $90 - by air you probably land in France at a place like Beauvais, meaning another pricey transfer into Paris plus the cost of getting to Luton from Heathrow. Wow! The prize for idotic itinerary planning!
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:09 PM

I hope you didn't pay someone for this ghastly itinerary!
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:27 PM

Why so rude? Seriously, this is a bad itinerary, but it's what it is and why be so rude about it! Offer help, but spare the rudeness!

Anyway, I'd say the cheapest place to spend "a couple of hours" is the airport. I don't see much, if any time, between these flights for a hotel stay. My goal would be to make it through Heathrow and then onto Luton. Though I don't much about Luton hours--you'd be wise to check on that. If you get to Luton with time to spare, find a seat and try to catch a few winks there. Otherwise the Holiday Inn at Luton would probably be the best hotel bet. Good luck!
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:54 PM

Why the rudeness? because unless you are flying on the only weekly flight from Tibuktu, no one in his right mind would book this itinerary. why did you accept it? where could you possibly be flying to and from that would warrant this kind of poor scheduling?
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:58 PM

Besides - I don't think anyone was rude. Honest responses, but definitely not rude. (well maybe the "Idiotic prize" bit was a teeny bit rude) - but the concensus is - this IS a nasty connection.
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:31 PM

I think a lot of people don't realize how brutally difficult the low-budget flights at faraway airports at early morning hours are. Although these flights are usually the cheapest, and I am a confirmed cheapskate, this is one economy I always pass up. It's worth $20 extra to fly later in the day.
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:19 AM

The best and most economical option is to take the 22:40 (last one of the day though!) National Express bus from Heathrow direct to Luton Airport (journey time 1:10, fare £15pp). And take a taxi from Luton to the nearby Holiday Inn Express, Travel Inn, Ibis or Travelodge (try bidding on Priceline). http://www.nationalexpress.com/

You do have the option to change your Easyjet flight to a later time or to another day for £10 per person/per flight leg (+ any difference in airfare, but at this time for that date it doesn't look like there would a difference) easily done at http://www.easyjet.com/EN/members/

It is usually possible to get to Luton airport using other than taxi early in the morning and late at night from central London via Heathrow Express train (last one at around midnight) to Paddington, then usually possible to connect to Thameslink train (using a hellish number of changes and walking through tube stations), BUT at this time they are doing construction and shutting the central London section between Blackfriars and West Hampstead from 10pm-5am M-W (and all day on weekends). It is possible to take the tube to West Hampstead and get the train from there.

also see:
http://www.london-luton.co.uk/

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en (just type in Heathrow and Luton Airport)

http://www.baa.com/main/airports/hea...ere_frame.html

Good Luck
P.S. Easyjet flights do fly into CDG, which is an easy transfer into central Paris via the RER-B train.
Nov 4th, 2003, 02:19 AM

I didn't find St. Cirq's reply rude. It might be a little tongue in cheek but it's pretty honest too. I'm sure now that there must be some PC geeks who scrutinize sentences to find tiny innuendo /sarcasm to bleat on about. Well travelled people wouldn't have given that particular response much thought accept that they agreed with it.
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Perhaps some of you didn't read PalenqueBob's last line: "Wow! The prize for idotic itinerary planning!" Everything else PalenqueBob said was relevant and helpful to darsco's initial question. That last rude line was totally unnecessary. And I don't think poor scheduling warrants rude comments. We all agree, this connection is indeed nasty, but I still think we could do without the rude comments! My comments were not directed to StCirq. And not everyone on this forum is well-traveled. It's these kinds of rude comments that keep the novice traveler from daring to post a question. I just don't see why we have to be that way.

Anyway, hopefully darsco found some helpful responses to her question--as there are some great ideas on this thread. Good luck!
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

OMG!!! Thanks to everyone who responded. Yes, we are not seasoned travellers....this is our first trip ever to Europe. We had intentionally booked these flights because a friend of ours was also travelling to London on business (we were on the same flight), and she was renting a car and hotel room near Luton...but her plans have now changed and we are on our own. We will definitely be changing our flight to Paris (now that we know how easy is). Thanks again for all your comments on this. We look forward to our first excursion to Europe!
Nov 5th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Accept my apologies,i should not have said it takes the cake for idiotic trip planning and should have said it takes the prize for "ill-informed" or "unrealistic" trip planning without researching how nearly impossible the itinerary seems to be, given the hours of arrival and departure. Sorry.
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM

Plenque Bob : Very Nice.

Search this Thread