Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying Aegean from Rhodes to Mykonos is much cheaper if segments booked individually. Is that OK?

Search

Flying Aegean from Rhodes to Mykonos is much cheaper if segments booked individually. Is that OK?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at flights on Aegean Airlines for next year from Rhodes to Mykonos (or vice versa). If I use Rhodes as the departure and Mykonos as the arrival, the price is 99 Euros. However, if I break the flights into the individual segments of Rhodes to Athens, then Athens to Mykonos, I can get the advance sale price of only 19 Euros per flight, or 38 Euros total. Will there be any problem if I book the flights this way?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM
GBC

It seems that you have found a huge bargain. I just checked it and got the same result. The only drawback would be that you will have to collect and recheck your luggage in Athens. We have used Aegean with no complaints. I would grab it while it is there and print out the e-ticket.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:49 AM

I always recommend for people to book that way to save money or at least to check to see if there's a savings by doing so. It's no problem at all. You just have to be sure to carry each confirmation email with you, that's all. I always take 2 or 3 copies just to be on the safe side.

I would inquire about checking and rechecking your luggage once you're on Rhodes. Since both flights are with Aegean I'm pretty sure they will check them through with no trouble.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. The luggage thing seems to be the only drawback. I'd like to hear if anyone has booked this way and had their luggage checked all the way through.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:35 AM

We are flying Aegean next week getting the help from Brotherleelove last winter re the $19 fares. We are flying to Crete, Santorini and Mykonos through Athens so will post when I get back whether they will check your bags right through. My biggest worry is the weight restrictions, trying to pare down my luggage as we speak.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Carley,
Please do post when you get back. I would like to do the same thing but am concerned about the luggage and the time between the two flights. Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:47 AM

We flew this route in July, and had to reclaim and recheck our bags in Athens before connecting onward to Mykonos.

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Weadles, did you ask for your bags to be checked through and did they say no and tell you it was necessary for you to do it yourself?
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Weadles, also how much time did it take to get your bags and recheck them?
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 10:32 AM

I have used Aegean several times flying NY-London-Athens-Rhodes or Corfu. I have always had to collect my bags in Athens and recheck them for the island trip. It doesn't take long and Athens airport is very easy to negotiate. If you have an hour between your flights, it should be enough time.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM

I am also flying this route next week...so am anxious for info...and thanks to Brotherleelove, did the same thing as to buying the tickets....nice savings...
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Brotherleelove2004, Yes, we did ask for our luggage to be checked through, but were told it was impossible. Also probably because we were traveling during high season ( July) the airport was a zoo, so it took a fairly long time to check everything through again.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Actually, we are flying Athens to Rhodes, then Rhodes to Athens and Athens to Crete, and finally Crete to Athens...bought 8 tickets for less than $300 US....a steal. I love this board!!!!!The trip from Rhodes to Crete will happen on the same day and I will post what we must do with luggage when I return....
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Linda74,

Did you know that there are air connections between Rhodes and Heraklion, Crete? This might be much easier than backtracking to Athens. I don't know if this is offered year-round, or only in the summer months.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I did know that Olympic had a direct flight, but the money saved on Aegean persuaded me to fly via Athens.....What can I say, I love a bargain....just hope my husband doesn't find out about the Olympic alternative
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 08:10 AM

< The luggage thing seems to be the only drawback >

The main drawback is that if for any reason you miss your 2nd flight (even if it's Aegeans's fault) the airline won't be under any obligation to put you on a later flight
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM

Promised to let you know if Aegean would check our luggage thru to each Island we travelled to.

We convinced them to in Heraklion but found this airport to be very casual about everything even security. They wouldn't in Santorini to Mykonos.

It really wasn't a big deal though as we just picked up our luggage and went straight to check-in and there never was a line up but then it was October and not too busy.

We were over a few kg. with our luggage and they never questioned us. We found the airline to be very professional, clean and always on time.

Thanks for your help Brotherleelove.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:59 AM

Hi Carley,
What size are the planes and how were the flights? I just hate to fly, particularly in small planes so I want to be prepared. I have already booked the Santorini to Rhodes flight in separate segments also. The connection is the same flight we would take if I had booked it together so I am hoping for the best.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:51 AM

Don't worry about the planes they aren't small. They were 3 & 3 seat configuration and leather. We always got a drink of juice or coffee and a treat even short flights. As I said very professional and always on time. Our flight from Santorini-Athens-Mykonos we had quite a long layover in Athens but were with friends so played cards in McDonalds for a few hours and passed the time that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -