Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fly your American Flag for the world to see

Sep 12th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Maira

Senator Schumer from NY is asking that all Americans homes fly the American Flag as a symbol of resilience and courage in the face of the cowardly attacks. I believe it is most appropriate.

Sep 12th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Anna

I was moved by all of the flags I saw on my way to and from work today, seeing those at half staff brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. My husband and I flew ours yesterday and today, and will continue to do so.

Sep 12th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Andy

Hi Maira--and the TV here said to drive with your headlights on in support of the US and in condolences to the families who have lost loved ones--
Have seen loads of cars with their lites on and businesses hanging out the flag in addition to homeowners....

Sep 13th, 2001, 12:09 AM
Nikki

I Have Just Purchased A Newer American Flag To Proudly Display On Our Balcony. And, I Will Also Place A Small Flag In My Vehicle. I Normally Do This On Holidays, But From Now On They Will Permanently Remain As A Sign Of Strength, Unity & Freedom For All. God Bless America And Her Allies.

Sep 13th, 2001, 04:00 AM
PB

The American flag is flying outside of my house here in Provence. And I saw two small ones stuck in village shop windows this morning.

PB

Sep 13th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Cynthia

They are out of stock everywhere. I cannot wait for their shipments to come in, so I can purchase several flags for our family. God Bless America!

Sep 13th, 2001, 11:14 PM
Sheila

Two of our tabloid newspapers have published a printed Stars and Stripes today for people to put in their windows

Sep 14th, 2001, 02:50 AM
nancy

My children made (drew and colored in) an American flag, which we will display on a tree by the road, if it stops raining, or in one of our windows.

If any of you have children, this might be a good way to have them "help" .

Sep 14th, 2001, 12:10 PM
nancy

I have heard that we have been asked to display our flags for the next 30 days.
so, it is not too late.

Sep 14th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Liam

I usually keep my flag flying all summer and just never got around to taking it down - now I never will.

By Wednesday morning my little town outside Boston was completely decked out in red, white and blue, flags in every store window, like it was July 4th.

In my mind, each flag I see is a giant "finger" to those who will soon meet their doom.

Sep 14th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Celeste

This is a great idea, since we are also having problems finding flags to purchase. I was not born here, but I consider myself to be an American. God Bless America!