Fly to Luxembourg (germany trip)

Old Nov 17th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly to Luxembourg (germany trip)

We (2 adults and 2 kids of 4 and 8) from Montreal are planing to go In germany next summer for 22-25 days (Still looking to make a precise itiniary around Trier, Munich, Nuremberg and Berlin)

After some search i've seen good price on flight to Luxembourg. (Yul-Lux layover Zurich) and Lux-Yul (layover Zurich) would cost me 275$ less by ticket (so around 1100$ less) than going into Frankfurt or Munich. Anyone have advices about this ?

Does it add a lot of hassle (trains cost for exemple) ?
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 11:08 AM

So think about the fact that getting from Luxembourg to Germany will eat up a half day, plus cost, and another half day to return plus cost if you are doing RT. That means basically one whole day and one night hotel just wasted time and money. Then there is the extra stress with two young children.

It might actually be more economical to cut your trip by a day (it would have been wasted anyway), saving hotel night and going directly to Frankfurt, saving on train.

There has to be a better way.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 12:19 PM

Well if Trier is on your trip itinerary it is a very short train ride from Luxembourg City so Luxembourg makes a lot of dollars and sense!

Trier is a tremendous place - one of the oldest cities in Europe, twas once the capital of the Western Part of the Holy Roman Empire - it has arguable the most stellar Roman remains outside of Italy in its intact Porta Negra and Roman theatre and old Roman temple later converted to Christian place of worship - it also has the Karl Marx house where the philosopher/economist was born and raised - a nice nice city though many of its old looks were lost in WW2.

From there go down the lovely Mosel either via train or car to Cochem, a fairy-tale city your family will absolutely love as will any wine aficionados - fairy-tale castle poking right out of a vineyard-carpeted hill in the town itself.

Good base for the Rhine Gorge too by train and boat or of course car.

Then head over to Munich - day trip perhaps to Mad Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle and head up to Nurnberg and onto Berlin and train back via Frankfurt to Luxembourg.

If doing all that by train check out the German Railpass - schedules and ordinary fares are at www.bahn.de/en - German Railways official site; for lots of info on German trains and where they go check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

I would strongly consider driving with two kids that young - if into camping there are family-oriented camps everywhere you can just pop into - Luxembourg is known for inexpensive car rentals (and lower taxes). You may be able to wscore some cheap flight from Berlin back to Luxembourg too.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for those answers they are very helpfull !

Of course it takes some time (more 2-3 hours than half a day ). The biggest hassle would be coming back fom Berlin or Munich (7 hours train).

Flying in or from Munich or Berlin or Frankfurt would add , at least, cost of 800$ to our trip.

Luxembourg city doesn't seems to be an ugly town by itself too.

ABout car renting, we have to take alook at that. We have to add gaz, insurance, child seats location, parking price. Don't know if the price would justify it.

We love camping but we don't want to carry all our camping gear ! Our initial plan is to rent appartment or smmall hous to 4 or 5 places and make day trips from those places.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 12:45 PM

I'd look into the cost of a flight into Lux and out of Berlin, at a minimum, if you don't even want to be back in that part of the country. The only close place by train is Trier, about an hour and maybe 18 euro. Otherwise, you have to transfer at least once to get anywhere like Frankfurt.

And you cannot get to the Luxe. train station directly from the airport, so that's a taxi or another bus just to get to it. What a hassle.

It does take 4-6 hours to get by train from Luxembourg to Frankfurt or Munich, not 2-3.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 01:07 PM

When Trier is on your list anyway, Luxemburg airport is the gateway for international flights to that area.
You have a direct bus from the airport to Trier, in case you don't want to drive. Going by train takes some more time as you'd have to take a bus to Lux train station first. But it's far from being a major issue.
The only real problem is how to get back to Luxemburg for your return flight - costwise and timewise.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 01:23 PM

Luxembourg City itself is worth a look - one of the most physically gorgeous cities in Europe as it has a deep broad gorge bisecting it - not many solo sites to see save the Casements tour thru the cliffs but a pleasant world capital city! Very very unique in looks with that lovely gorge. Maybe stay the night there before your return flight.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 01:50 PM

It should have been obvious, but...

If you are interested in only in managing the airfare, focusing on airfare makes sense.

If you are interested in managing the overall cost, you have to actually construct the entire itinerary and figure out actual market based overall cost estimates. Accommodations are often market based and depending on your routing order and timing, it can make a big difference.

I have seen several posters coming here thinking they saved in airfare while not realizing they have ended up buying a shorter trip at the same time.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you, all your answers bring us a lot to think about !

I've look every possibility flight cost wise and YUL-LUX via Zurich is really the lowest I can find for now. We know that stay 2-3 days in Luxembourg will cut some time in Germany but we can go for 25 days instead of 21-22. our budhget shoul allows it.

Of course if we fly in Luxembourg we will visit that city! We didn'Mt plan to gother first but after seeing some pictures we can say it looks lovely and won't be a torture satying there for 2 nights (one on the arrival day and one before departure).

Heres's a quick itiniary (july 11- august 4)

- Arrival in Luxembourg (stay all day and one night because of jet lag !)
- Luxembourg Boppard (or a place around Boppard)4-5 nights
- Boppard- Berlin 4-5 nights
- Berlin Dresden 2 nights
- Dresden-Nuremberg 3-4 nights Nuremberg
- Nuremberg-Munich 4-5 nights Munich
- Munich Luxembourg (the worst part I guess) 1 night Luxembourg and back home
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Sounds like a good itinerary, mostly. You will likely have some jet-lag but I don't think staying one night in Luxembourg is the answer. You'll be returning at the end of your trip - so instead of checking in there on two separate nights, check in once at the end of your trip for two nights.

And for your first day/night, I suggest you just get on the train for Boppard. It's only about 3 hours from LUX airport. And the train from Luxembourg station is direct all the way to Koblenz, usually, where you change trains for Boppard (about 15 minutes.)

If 3 hours on the train to Boppard seems too long for some reason... you could instead make Cochem your first travel base. Cochem is a town with half-timbered buildings and its own castle, just 1.75 hours from Luxembourg station by direct train. It's centrally located on the Mosel River near Burg Eltz castle; and day trips to the Rhine are doable from there (if Boppard were your base town, Cochem would absolutely be a good day trip anyway.)

Cochem's castle is right in town: http://www.cochem.de/tourismus/bilde...r_Bild_238.jpg

Cochem to Berlin takes slightly longer than Boppard to Berlin - around 20-25 minutes.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Fussgaenger about that idea ! You say that my itiniary is mostly good ? What would you change about it ?

And by the way if anyone have any ideas for others travel bases i'm listening !
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 04:23 PM

"You say that my itiniary is mostly good ? What would you change about it ?"

I don't know your family of course. Probably not much.

Your plan is good for taking in major sights in mostly busy cities. It's maybe a little less good for young kids with a restricted understanding of world events and a lower appreciation of museums, etc. Berlin + Munich + Nuremberg + Dresden... all good destinations, just not sure how the kids will bear up. You could probably use a few more small-place days like you'll have in Boppard (or Cochem.)

Also... accommodations for four (like small vacation apartments) are a little harder to find in big cities when you're looking for something near the station. Such places tend to be more numerous in places where Germans vacation (places like Cochem for example) and in smaller towns, in resorts or in recreational settings.

Just as an example, we (family of 3) once spent several days in the Black Forest town at a farmhouse with 3 attached apartments. Our little apartment was within walking distance of the station and the center of town. We took train outings to nearby towns and did short walks on the nature trails that skirted the town and the rental property. Our daughter enjoyed her time out back with the sheep and the ducks and watching the other (German) family's kids play, and she enjoyed having some of her normal "kid food" the way Mom made it at home instead of doing 2 or 3 restaurant meals per day. We could have used the town pool facility but didn't.

If something like this sounds good, you might look into staying in smaller towns outside Munich or Nuremberg where you could do something similar. Lots of farmers in Bavaria have gone into the hospitality business to supplement their incomes.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks once again Fussgaenger, your help (like the help from any oher contributor) is much appreciated. It's cool to see some strangers who are willing to take their personnal time to help other people !

Of course kids are kids and they will need time for them. I'm an history teacher so those places are very appealing to me but obviously i'm not travelling solo !

I guess in Berlin we should be in the city itselfm but for Munich and Nuremberg we are open to go outside. Of course we still want to be able to go to those places easily (one hour train or something like that.

I guess that not too far from Munich we could go somewhere were we can see and ''feel'' mountains. We also plan to make a daytrip to Salzburg.

Black forest it's bit less appealing to us since, from what i've read/saw it would be less different from what we are use to. Forest, lakes, small rivers we got that a lot around here.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 07:34 PM

(With the Black Forest I didn't intend to suggest yet another destination for you - it was just an example.)

For Munich, Salzburg and mountains you can feel (or climb or take a gondola ride into) look into Prien. It's half way between Munich and Salzburg and has a station on the main train line. Trains to both cities from Prien are direct. This working farm is on the edge of town. It has 3 apartments, one apartment for a family your size.) Select Language on upper right.)

https://www.chiemsee-alpenland.de/Me...nhof-Widernhof

(go to the main page to look at other accommodations in the area.)

Prien is on Chiemsee Lake, where Herrenchiemsee Palace is situated on an island (the big one in the photo below.) Biking and water sports are popular here.

http://www.breitbrunn.com/Fotos/Breitbrunn-Luftbild.jpg
http://www.herrenchiemsee.de/englisch/n_palace/

The gondola lift in nearby Aschau (the train goes there too) is shown below with Chiemsee and Herrenchiemsee Island in the background. It's a nice area:
http://www.kampenwand.de/index.php?r..._gondeln-4.jpg
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks once gain Fussgaenger !

Prien seems to be a goo idea for a travel base but since I will have to get back to Luxembourg I have to think if it's the better place to go.
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 06:48 AM

Chimesee Lake and Herrenchiemsee Palace is a great place to visit. The lake is nice for an afternoon of swimming in Summer, and if you plan your time there to visit the Palace when they are having an evening concert, it is wonderful. You take a boat to the island in the middle of the lake where the palace is situated The palace is lit with candles and they have concerts there. Absolutely worth it for the atmosphere. Nice to tour the palace earlier. Take a picnic and explore the lovely grounds. My kids enjoyed it even when they were very young.
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 01:43 PM

Herrenchiemsee is my favorite of Mad Ludwig's fantasy creations - in part because it is on an island in the lake you have to take a boat to and lovely surroundings as sassafrass says.

And from the Prien train station area you can often take a tiny topylike train down to the docks, actually a rather short stroll.

Prien would make a sweet town to stay in - the proverbial small city that few actually stay in - for reasons sassafrass gives nice to stay overnight on the Chiemsee.
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 10:35 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=luxe...w=1745&bih=890

Luxembourg City is a nice low-key base for your last night - again it is gorgeous because of its gorge but with few must sights.
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 12:43 PM

If driving to the airport from Lux City you can easily pop by the Hamm U.S. Military Cemetery to pay respects to fallen heroes including, arguably,Gen George 'blood and guts' Patton, buried here after he was killed in a Jeep crash (or some kind of vehicle) just after the war ended.
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you !

I'm still a a bit hesitant about the plan to flight to Lux.

We probably make the whole trip by train, but if I drive I would maybe go majke a visit at that cemetery, but not neceseraly by ''respect to fallen heroes'' but much more by historical interest. I'm not the patrotic type, and i'm not American !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -