14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Fly or Train From Strasbourg to Aix en Provence/Marsailles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly or Train From Strasbourg to Aix en Provence/Marsailles

Hello! My friend and I are traveling to France in July with round trip flight to/from Paris. We are planning to go directly to Strasbourg for 3 days and then head to Provence where we are planning to meet our friends in Aix en Provence. While it’s not the most ideal route it’s what worked best with our schedule and these are 2 key places we really want to see (Paris being the third). We were originally planning on taking a train from Strasbourg to Aix but with a change of station in Paris it seems a bit cumbersome. We’re wondering if it might be a better option to fly from Strasbourg to Marseilles and either bus or just rent a car to Aix (planning on renting a car in that region anyway). Costs are relatively the same, all in train time is 6 hours. Wondering if anyone has taken the flight (there are a few good options that would meet our timeline) and if you think this would save us a significant portion of time/angst trying to change stations, or if the train would still be the most enjoyable route. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 07:52 PM

I am not sure why you are waffling between the two. The air route is about one half the time of the train route without the Gare de l'Est to Gare de Lyon transfer. This air route is probably served by a small Candair regional jet on Hop. The trains do not travel through particularly scenic areas. High speed trains rarely do.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 10:49 PM

Agree with Greg. I don't like to be dogmatic when planning trips, I go with whatever mode of transport makes the most sense. Some people just love trains, but having done the 3 hours from Paris to Avignon on the high speed train, any longer and I would have been bored to death. Not scenic, as Greg says.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally speaking I'd opt for a train in Europe instead of flying. There are a lot of pluses with trains -
you don't need to get to the station as early,
you get to keep your luggage with you,
you depart and arrive in the middle of town (usually),
you can take on whatever food and drink you like,
you can easily walk around and stretch your legs,
trains are often more reliable than flights that can be delayed,
once you arrive you just get off the train and walk out of the station,
it's usually less stressful than the whole airport thing.

But if it's going to save you hours that's a big factor. I'd work out not just the flight time, but the time getting to the airport, waiting for the plane, on the plane, getting from the airport to your next hotel, etc and see how much time you are really saving. Also, I don't know if this is a TGV but if you book ahead you can save a lot of money.

Kay
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 01:01 AM

You can't generalise about the trains in Europe as if it is one country and one train company. I use trains in parts of Europe where they are definitely not more reliable than flights, you can't easily walk around and stretch your legs as they are crowded and as for keeping your luggage with you, you have to lug them up stairs on a crowded train and then into an overhead bin or you block the aisles so no one can get past. Train stations are not always in the middle of town, sometimes they are not, some do not have taxi services easily available outside the station, some stations are not manned at all, some direct train services end up with unscheduled train changes announced in a language that you don't understand.

On checking the SNCF website, there appears to be direct TGV trains from Strasbourg to Aix and to Marseille. You can fly from SXB to MRS on low cost airlines such as Volotea for very little then rent a car and drive to Aix.

https://www.volotea.com/en

Last edited by Odin; Mar 20th, 2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 07:51 AM

Well if trains book early at oui.sncf French Railways site or www.trainline.eu -which matches fares and gives lowest possible fares -easier to get to book many say. www.seat61.com has all the dope on bookingyour own discounted tickets online - general info trains BETS-European Rail Experts.

Six hours and somewhat scenic- especially for foreign visitors.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, viamichelin.com says car is 8.1 hours
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a picnic on the train and chill out with books/kindle etc, anything rather than sweat it out on a plane.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 12:18 PM

I'd fly because you plan to rent a car in Provence anyway. Driving out of MRS is real easy because it's outside of town a ways and right next to the autoroute, just about.

I'm not a fan of flying, but for small airports and if the alternative is a very long train trip and a transfer, I'd fly.

I personally don't see any direct trains from Strasbourg to Aix except after noon. And the transfer is between train stations in Paris on some runs, not just trains (gare de l'Est to Gare de Lyon). So if you wait to take a direct train, you won't get to Aix until 8 pm at the earliest. I really dislike arriving places at night and then you'll kind of waste that morning. Perhaps that depends on the day, of course, I only checked one date. If anything, I'd take the one that transfers at Valence, not Paris between stations. The time is more than 6 hours on any schedule I saw when you did not have a direct train.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 01:16 PM

NO CONTEST!

There are two afternoon high-speed TGV trains DIRECT from Strasbourg to Aix en Provence TGV. They take 5h40. Book at www.loco2.com

By air you'd have to take a bus followed by a 2h airport check-in followed by a flight followed by another bus followed by a train. Total 4 or even 5 hours. Stress!

By rail you relax, drink a glass of wine or two, experience France's amazing 186mph high-speed rail network, see the scenery.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 01:30 PM

Why www.loco2.com - when the www.oui.sncf French Railways site that is now said to be easier to use - doe loxo2 match always the cheapest faress from the offical site. www/trainline.eu is a site that is easy to use - why is loco2 site better than official site or trainline or is it?
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 01:38 PM

Take the train, better for the environment.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 05:20 AM

I suggest you consider reversing your circuit. Using a multi-destination search function, fly all the way from home to Marseille Provence airport. There's a shuttle to Aix en Provence, about 20 minutes. Aix is on the TGV fast train route north. Connect to Strasbourg. Nice ride. Then search around for a route flying home ex-Strasbourg. It will connect through a gateway, it doesn't matter which one as the real consideration is the ease of the itinerary and of course the price.
Matrix.itasoftware.com for information on flights (it doesn't sell tickets); www.skyscanner.com for European budget airlines.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 12:04 PM

Train - just as quick or not much longer and less likely to be delayed.