Fly or Drive to Scotland?

Feb 14th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Fly or Drive to Scotland?

Thanks in advance for your advise. I'm trying to decide if it's cheaper to drive to Scotland from Germany, or to fly and rent a car?

We live near Wiesbaden, and will be taking a 2 week trip to Scotland in July.

One thought is to drive and take the ferry to Hull or Newcastle, which would save us the cost of a rental. However the ferry for 2 adults and 2 children (17 & 14) looks to be about 600 Euro round trip, not counting gas.

When I check Ryan Air, we are looking at about 400 Euro for the 4 of us, plus the cost of a rental car. This option costs a bit more, but saves 4 days travel to and from Scotland.

I would really love to take the ferry, but the cost just seems too high.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Feb 14th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Hi,
We visited Scotland some 20 years ago, but we took a fly and drive arrangement. We were very happy to have done so. We had a right hand drive car, and I found it better to be on the correct (UK-wise) side with regards to the road than on the wrong (European) side to drive. Even driving with an UK-car will demand sufficient attention during the trip.
Feb 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM

I'm going to Scotland in April. I'm going on the ferry to Newcastle. Ok I live only a couple of hours drive from Ijmuiden so it doesn't take me all day to get there which helps. It is expensive, but I won't use Ryanair for any price, and I like having the car and my own stuff around me. I am taking my camera gear and flying with it is a royal pain, whereas by car it is no problem. Plus I hate all the time wasted at airports and all the security stuff etc etc. Flying is now only for if I can't get there any other way.
Bear in mind Ryanair charges you for everything they can.

I have no problems driving a LHD car in the UK. In fact I prefer it to switching to a RHD car. I have trouble with gear changing, and road position in a RHD car - and I learned to drive in the UK, and drove there for many years before moving to NL.
Feb 14th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

You make a good point. Driving would allow us to bring along our "stuff", versus bringing only the basics.

I actually flew to England on Ryan Air this last August with my 13 yr old daughter. We then rented a car and drove to Bath for 5 days.

Loved Bath, but as you said shifting with the other hand did take a bit of getting used to.

Thanks for the advise.
Feb 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM

do note flanner's post on the other (old) thread.
Feb 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Wiesbaden - Ijmuiden is a 430km drive.
While the kilometers may not bother you, it will be hard to calculate how long you will need: In July, high season with lots of traffic, the A3 from Frankfurt to Cologne, Düsseldorf, Duisburg, NL can become a huge parking lot, especially on weekends.
So if you need to catch a certain ferry, I'd plan for lots of extra time - and check what your options are if you miss it.
Besides that, the ferry can be a more interesting way to travel, especially for first timers.
Feb 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM

We met a couple from Switzerland who drove their motorcycle to Scotland. They complained about the very expensive ferry costs. I would find a cheap flight and then rent a car.