Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fly or Drive to Scotland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fly-or-drive-to-scotland-877907/)

asbachnate Feb 14th, 2011 09:39 AM

Fly or Drive to Scotland?

Thanks in advance for your advise. I'm trying to decide if it's cheaper to drive to Scotland from Germany, or to fly and rent a car?

We live near Wiesbaden, and will be taking a 2 week trip to Scotland in July.

One thought is to drive and take the ferry to Hull or Newcastle, which would save us the cost of a rental. However the ferry for 2 adults and 2 children (17 & 14) looks to be about 600 Euro round trip, not counting gas.

When I check Ryan Air, we are looking at about 400 Euro for the 4 of us, plus the cost of a rental car. This option costs a bit more, but saves 4 days travel to and from Scotland.

I would really love to take the ferry, but the cost just seems too high.

Any ideas or thoughts?

baldrick Feb 14th, 2011 09:51 AM

Hi,
We visited Scotland some 20 years ago, but we took a fly and drive arrangement. We were very happy to have done so. We had a right hand drive car, and I found it better to be on the correct (UK-wise) side with regards to the road than on the wrong (European) side to drive. Even driving with an UK-car will demand sufficient attention during the trip.

hetismij Feb 14th, 2011 10:24 AM

I'm going to Scotland in April. I'm going on the ferry to Newcastle. Ok I live only a couple of hours drive from Ijmuiden so it doesn't take me all day to get there which helps. It is expensive, but I won't use Ryanair for any price, and I like having the car and my own stuff around me. I am taking my camera gear and flying with it is a royal pain, whereas by car it is no problem. Plus I hate all the time wasted at airports and all the security stuff etc etc. Flying is now only for if I can't get there any other way.
Bear in mind Ryanair charges you for everything they can.

I have no problems driving a LHD car in the UK. In fact I prefer it to switching to a RHD car. I have trouble with gear changing, and road position in a RHD car - and I learned to drive in the UK, and drove there for many years before moving to NL.

asbachnate Feb 14th, 2011 10:35 AM

You make a good point. Driving would allow us to bring along our "stuff", versus bringing only the basics.

I actually flew to England on Ryan Air this last August with my 13 yr old daughter. We then rented a car and drove to Bath for 5 days.

Loved Bath, but as you said shifting with the other hand did take a bit of getting used to.

Thanks for the advise.

janisj Feb 14th, 2011 12:05 PM

do note flanner's post on the other (old) thread.

Cowboy1968 Feb 14th, 2011 01:15 PM

Wiesbaden - Ijmuiden is a 430km drive.
While the kilometers may not bother you, it will be hard to calculate how long you will need: In July, high season with lots of traffic, the A3 from Frankfurt to Cologne, Düsseldorf, Duisburg, NL can become a huge parking lot, especially on weekends.
So if you need to catch a certain ferry, I'd plan for lots of extra time - and check what your options are if you miss it.
Besides that, the ferry can be a more interesting way to travel, especially for first timers.

Michael Feb 14th, 2011 02:53 PM

We met a couple from Switzerland who drove their motorcycle to Scotland. They complained about the very expensive ferry costs. I would find a cheap flight and then rent a car.