Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fly into Rome or Milan - which airline??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 05:01 AM
Lori

We are planning a trip to Italy from Chicago and expect to stay 3-4 days in Rome then drive up to Tuscany for a week. <BR> <BR>Any recommendations for airlines? United and <BR>American fly to Rome via other stops, but they fly direct to Milan - so should we do this and then train to Rome? <BR> <BR>Any recommendations??? <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 05:57 AM
John

I would always opt for a direct flight unless the savings is significant. You could fly into Milan or Rome and fly out of the other for your return. There should be more airline options out of Chicago. I flew NY-Rome on Alitalia which had the best rate at the time.

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 07:11 AM
Richard

Lori, I'm with John, I would fly into Milan, rent a car and tour Tuscany. Drive to Rome, drop the car off at the airport and take the train into the city. Flying out of Rome, if using AA, you'll take a BritAir flight to London and connect with AA. The train ride from Milan to Rome is at least 4 1/2 hours plus an hour from Milan airport (Malpensa) to the rail station. We've done this itinerary (into Milan, out of Rome)a couple of times. On the outbound we are anxious to start our tour of Italy and want to get there ASAP, on the return we don't mind taking the slow way back. There have been a number of postings about Rome and the pickpockets. This is not confined to Rome, all the major cities have the same problem, but Rome does seem to have the most scams.

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 09:32 AM
pam

YOu have many options from O'Hare. We are flying from HOuston on Air France, changing in Paris/CDG, arriving Rome. Air France also serves Rome, Florence (peretola) and Pisa, which might make more sense for you than would Milan. They have also had great fares recently. Try www.amadeus.net for researching your options. <BR>

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 02:26 PM
CherylZ.

<BR>Lori - on our last trip to Italy two years ago, we also flew in Milan, rented a car, saw Venice and Florence, and when we got to Rome to spend a few days before we flew out of Rome, turned the car in right away. You won't want to be driving IN Rome! <BR>We've also found that usually airfare in/out of Milan is more reasonable. Rome is always one of the more expensive cities to fly in/out of.

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 02:27 PM
CherylZ.

<BR>Lori - on our last trip to Italy two years ago, we also flew in Milan, rented a car, saw Venice and Florence, and when we got to Rome to spend a few days before we flew out of Rome, turned the car in right away. You won't want to be driving IN Rome! <BR>We've also found that usually airfare in/out of Milan is more reasonable. Rome is always one of the more expensive cities to fly in/out of.

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 10:09 AM
Margaret

We were in Italy in February. We flew Alitalia to Milan. They have a cheap rate but you pay for it in time lost. We had a nightmare of a trip as far as air goes. I would recommend flying a US airline or Brit Air, KLM, Swiss Air, etc. before Alitalia. The Milan airport does not have it all together yet. Many flights are canceled for no reason. The airport is often fogged in. Last trip we flew NW-KLM directly to Rome and returned from Bologna. We had no problems. <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 07:28 PM
Leslie

I am flying into Milan on April the 23rd on Delta into Brussels and then on to Milan's Linate Airport. The return will be on Delta was well but on their co-share Sabena. I am not sure if this is the best way to travel, but it is my first trip to Europe and I couldn't walk away from the fare. Have fun!! I know I will, regardless. <BR> <BR>Leslie

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 07:49 AM
Marcie

My husband preferred a flight that allowed smoking so we're flying in on Iberia Airlines (using American Airlines frequent flyer miles) via Madrid. They then go on to both Milan or Rome. So many options for you!