Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fly into Florence or Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fly-into-florence-or-rome-168549/)

anj Mar 5th, 2002 12:29 PM

Fly into Florence or Rome?

I am planning a trip to Florence in Oct. Would you recommend flying into Rome or into Florence? If into Rome, what's the best way to get to Florence? Thanks.

richard j vicek Mar 5th, 2002 12:37 PM

Good afternoon, Anj<BR>Assuming you are flying into Rome, if<BR>you take the train to Rome Termini<BR>station you will have a 30 min trip and <BR>then change trains for the trip to<BR>Florence, about 1.5 hours... Transfer<BR>to air at Fiumicino to Florence for<BR>a 30 min flite and then a 6 km taxi ride<BR>to your hotel. Probably less than $15.00. Take Air Richard of La<BR>Grange Park, Il..<BR>

a--z Mar 5th, 2002 12:47 PM

The advantage of flying into Florence or even Pisa, is that they are small airports, close to their respective cities. The disadvantage can be price & connections. If flying out of the US, the best airfares will be into larger cities of Italy (Rome, Milan). Also, there are no nonstop flights from US to Florence. You'll have to make a connection thru a European city (London, Paris). Of course, if your starting point is not the USA, then these factors may not apply. <BR><BR>As Richard describes, it's an easy & inexpensive train ride to get from Rome up to Florence.

Vita Mar 5th, 2002 12:57 PM

Hi, anj. I would suggest looking for roundtrip airfares to Florence first. If you can't find an acceptable fare or itinerary, then pursue flying through Rome. Be aware that searching for flights to Florence will bring up Pisa and Florence airports no matter which airport code you specify. I flew out of Florence (Peretola Airport) and had to connect in Milan. I found it worth it versus flying out of Pisa or Rome because I would have had to spend the night in either city to make my flight.

Rex Mar 5th, 2002 12:59 PM

The best air fares from the US to Europe are usually into London. If you are willing to spend a few days there (or even if you are not) - - you can then fly out of Stansted (85 minutes by bus from Heathrow, for example - - about the same from center city) to Pisa very cheaply on www.ryanair.com - - probably lower total cost than any fare you will find directly inro Italy. It's about 45-60 minutes by car or train from Pisa to Florence.<BR><BR>RyanAir will also start serving Rome (Ciampino airport) this summer. no more difficult (perhaps a little quicker) to reach Termini from there - - and as others have pointed out, a pleasant 95 minute train ride from Rome Termini to Floence.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Rex Mar 5th, 2002 12:59 PM

The best air fares from the US to Europe are usually into London. If you are willing to spend a few days there (or even if you are not) - - you can then fly out of Stansted (85 minutes by bus from Heathrow, for example - - about the same from center city) to Pisa very cheaply on www.ryanair.com - - probably lower total cost than any fare you will find directly inro Italy. It's about 45-60 minutes by car or train from Pisa to Florence.<BR><BR>RyanAir will also start serving Rome (Ciampino airport) this summer. no more difficult (perhaps a little quicker) to reach Termini from there - - and as others have pointed out, a pleasant 95 minute train ride from Rome Termini to Florence.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

anj Mar 6th, 2002 05:58 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. This forum just impresses the heck out of me - everyone is so incredibly helpful!

sally Mar 6th, 2002 06:27 AM

Anj,<BR>In a few weeks I am going to Italy. We are planning to spend half the time in Rome and half in Florence. I was able to buy a plane ticket that lets me fly into Rome and out of Florence for the same price as a round trip to Rome. I agree with the other postings that if you are able to get a really cheap ticket to Rome, it is easy to get to Florence by train. However, if your ticket is pricey already and you can't fly directly to Rome (which was the case for me), then flying to Florence might make sense. My tickets are on Air France and connect in Paris both ways.

Carin Mar 9th, 2002 06:11 PM

Thanks, Rex!

Rex Mar 9th, 2002 07:53 PM

You're welcome, Carin - - but did I answer a question of yours?<BR>