Flowers in Dordogne

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowers in Dordogne

I was just reading a post about lavender in Provence. Are there any fields of flowers that are in bloom in the Dordogne/Lot region in June/July?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM
ira

Hi Toni,

The Michelin Guide recommends these two gardens. The second gets 3*

Les Jardins de Cadiot. The rose garden is particularly impressive, with bushes originating in ancient Sarladais times. Then head for the prize-winning formal gardens at the Manoir d’Eyrignac, which have been restored to their original 18th-century Italian design.

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your response Ira. Would there be fields of flowers ie. poppies, sunflowers etc. like in other parts of France.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:11 AM
ira

Don't know. Haven't been there yet.

Let me know if you find any.

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM

In the Dordogne there are loads of fields of sunflowers - less so in the Lot. There are also wildflowers everywhere.

The gardens at the Manoir d'Eyrignac are exceptionally nice.

There are also lots of "villages fleuries," villages especially recognized for their floral displays. But most villages have lovely floral displays even if they don't merit "village fleurie" status.

And you may come across a fête des fleurs, although normally those occur in April or May, when people are beginning their planting.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

St Cirq, are there any spots in particular we should drive by to see those gorgeous sunflowers? could you give me an idea of what towns are designated "village fleuries". The gardens of Manoir d'Eyrignac are definitely on my list.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM

toni: I was hoping you wouldn't ask that, because although I can tell you where all the beautiful sunflower fields were LAST summer, they won't be the same as THIS summer or NEXT summer - they tend to rotate the fields annually.

That said, if you drive on the D roads around the following towns, you'll probably find sunflower fields - Monpazier, Paunat, Trémolat, and St-Alvère. There are sometimes glorious ones on the route between St-Cyprien and Beynac, too, though last summer there wasn't a one.

The villages fleuries include Lanquaille, Tamniès, Lalinde, Villefranche-du-Périgord, and Sarlat. Périgueux and Bergerac are also prize-winning "villes fleuries."
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

St Cirq, your'e a gem! You rose to the occasion! Merci