Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flowers blooming anywhere in Switzerland in early April?

Mar 28th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I will be visiting Switzerland over the Easter holiday for 3 days, and I am locked into this time of year due to scheduling. I have seen the gorgeous pictures of the meadows full of flowers and the flower boxes on the houses and hotels. While I realize that April is still considered winter there, is there any place in the country where I might see some flowers blooming, some greenery? Please bear with me if this is a stupid question...I have never been to Switzerland before. I ask because I am still trying to decide where to stay; I was set on the BO and Jungfrau region, but I'm not so sure now. Thanks for any help you can give me!
Mar 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Two years ago we were in Switzerland in early April.

Forsythia was in bloom everywhere along the shors of Lac Leman.

OTOH when we were traveling through The Goms east of Brig the landscape was snow covered.

I am certain you'll see something in bloom somewhere but not sure about how many wallflower meadows there might be.
Mar 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Down in the lowlands and valleys: yes! I was in Brunnen this afternoon, walking along the lake, and saw lots of flowers: pansies, daffodils, etc.

Don't expect anything in the mountains: too much snow still.

Nothing in the flower boxes yet. We usually plant geraniums in the boxes but not till May+.

Easter is a holiday weekend here in Switzerland. For mild weather, many people go to Tessin, where things will be blooming. Dukey's Lac Leman suggestion is good too.
Mar 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Brunnen is on Lake Lucerne, right? Lac Leman sounds nice as well, but here's my situation and reasoning behind my questions: My brother and sister-in-law live in Heidelberg, and we will be visiting them. All of us will be visiting Switzerland together on April 5, 6, 7th. My brother is trying to get an extra day off from work so we could spend 3 nights there instead of 2. If he cannot get the extra night off, my husband and I are thinking of taking the train from Heidelberg and just going a day early. If the weather is milder around Lucerne and there are some flowers blooming, I'd like to go there, for first day then and stay overnight. I would be meeting my brother and sister-in-law the next day in Murren, where we would be spending the next two days. However, I don't want to stay in Lucerne. I'd like to stay in a smaller, quieter place on the shore where I could just sit and contemplate the view and take walks along the shore. Is Brunnen a good place for that?
Mar 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM

You've got a choice:

Brunnen, Gersau, Vitznau or Weggis. All are located along the lake and have great views.

Brunnen has a train station and great views (in my opinion, the best). The nicest hotel there is Waldstätterhof.

Vitznau has some very nice hotels and is beautiful as well. It's a small village.

For long walks, Weggis would be very good. Also very beautiful and is a bit more mild (temperature-wise) than Brunnen.
Mar 28th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

How do you get to Weggis, by boat from Lucerne?
Mar 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM

By boat from Lucerne
By car via Küssnacht am Rigi or Brunnen
By bus via Küssnacht am Rigi or Brunnen
Mar 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help, schuler.
Mar 28th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Bitte schön