Floriade Expo 2022 - Amsterdam

Old Feb 20th, 2021, 07:12 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floriade Expo 2022 - Amsterdam

We are currently booked on a river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam this May 2021, but are considering moving it to June, 2022 because of the pandemic and Europe still closed. However the Floriade Expo 2022 will be going on in Almere, Netherlands (we will end in Amsterdam) and wonder if anyone knows if Amsterdam will be more crowded and lodging hard to find etc and we should avoid this time of year. The Expo runs from April to Oct 2022. We would be spending three extra days in Amsterdam on our own. Thank you.
Comment
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 05:39 PM

I don't think there is going to be a pressing number of visitors particularly in June, aside from the visitors that you would normally see in the city over summer, because Floriade is spread over 6 months. When I went (2002) we stayed with family but we did not notice more visitors in the city. Floriade is not just a garden show with flowers but a horticultural show for the whole industry and so there are lots of displays by agricultural companies as well, or at least that was the leaning when we went. I found it fascinating, but it was certainly different to what I had expected, because close to us in Canberra (Australia) there is a yearly flower display with mostly bulbs, also called Floriade, and so I had assumed it would be more like that. I am also wondering how far tourism will be redeveloped by 2022, we just don't know, even if there is a vaccine now. So I don't think you will have a problem because of Floriade but obviously you are going at the peak tourism time and you would have to take that into account.

Interestingly while Covid has been going on there have quietly been measures taken by the Dutch government to reform tourism to Amsterdam and so a lot of the old drawcards such as red light tourism will be relocated to industrial zones and the drug tourism possibly also turned down a notch by restricting who can visit coffee shops, so you might find you are not competing with the hordes that used to visit Amsterdam before. Covid has given everybody the opportunity to reassess what they want for the city.

Lavandula
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 06:22 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Thank you for your information. We are now looking to change our river cruise to August of this year instead in hopes that things will be opening up in Europe. Hopefully weather and tourists will be good in Amsterdam in August if we go. If not we would probably go June 2022. Thanks again.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by lavandula View Post
I don't think there is going to be a pressing number of visitors particularly in June, aside from the visitors that you would normally see in the city over summer, because Floriade is spread over 6 months. When I went (2002) we stayed with family but we did not notice more visitors in the city. Floriade is not just a garden show with flowers but a horticultural show for the whole industry and so there are lots of displays by agricultural companies as well, or at least that was the leaning when we went. I found it fascinating, but it was certainly different to what I had expected, because close to us in Canberra (Australia) there is a yearly flower display with mostly bulbs, also called Floriade, and so I had assumed it would be more like that. I am also wondering how far tourism will be redeveloped by 2022, we just don't know, even if there is a vaccine now. So I don't think you will have a problem because of Floriade but obviously you are going at the peak tourism time and you would have to take that into account.

Interestingly while Covid has been going on there have quietly been measures taken by the Dutch government to reform tourism to Amsterdam and so a lot of the old drawcards such as red light tourism will be relocated to industrial zones and the drug tourism possibly also turned down a notch by restricting who can visit coffee shops, so you might find you are not competing with the hordes that used to visit Amsterdam before. Covid has given everybody the opportunity to reassess what they want for the city.

Lavandula
Your second paragraph is rather premature. The idea has been floated, but there's huge opposition to it. Also Halsema's pronouncements on drug tourism has been met with ridicule. She's far from a popular mayor, so I don't think anything will come of it: this has been tried in 2012 already, to no avail. Also I wonder if the whole Floriade thing will get off the ground. 2022 is a long way away,

I do think, things won't be normal in Amsterdam or in the Netherlands, in May.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 11:09 PM

Thanks for commenting Menachem - the news I had read about this suggested that moving the red light district had bipartisan (tripartisan?) support, and was effectively going to go ahead, so I welcome your input. I knew the drug tourism was contentious. I take your point about Floriade completely. Just because we have a vaccine doesn't mean tourism will open up. We (in Australia) are not even allowed out of the country for most purposes, who knows when that will change. Certainly I don't think that will be this year, but strangely I am happy to stick close to home right now. My workplace (a university) is just starting to open up to face-to-face classes a bit more and we are getting more people on campus. It's like we were all asleep for 12 months and we are just starting to wake up.

Lavandula
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 09:05 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your comments. We have gone ahead and rescheduled our trip for an August 14 river boat cruise (fingers crossed). We will be in Lucerne Aug 10-14 and Amsterdam Aug 24-28. Hoping we will be able to go then. Otherwise we will have to consider 2022.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 01:41 PM

Good luck, I hope it happens for you!

Lavandula