Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Floriade 2012 Accomodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/floriade-2012-accomodations-916450/)

Mary_Bird Dec 27th, 2011 11:59 AM

Floriade 2012 Accomodations

Planning to go to Floriade 2012 in mid-April. 2 older women & 1 teen daughter wanting cheap accomodations. Any suggestions?

PalenQ Dec 27th, 2011 12:56 PM

In Amsterdam you mean - nothing really 'cheap' there but I know a sweet B&B in Haarlem I always stay in for about 40 euros a person with unlimited breakfast buffet - nice owners and right in the heart of this lovely town about 20 minutes from Amsterdam by train and perhaps even closer to Floriade.

PalenQ Dec 31st, 2011 09:46 AM

http://www.floriade.com/

Oh I see Floriade this year is not in the Amsterdam area but in Venlo, in southereast Netherlands and a town I am extremely familiar with but not with accommodations - but scour hotels not only in Venlo but in nearby Nijmegen or Arnhem, both not that far from Venlo - heck even Aachen, Germany is not that far from Venlo.

annhig Dec 31st, 2011 10:43 AM

Hi Marybird,

we are planning to go to the Floriade too, and at the moment have reservations in Maastricht for the two nights either side of our visit. however, last time I looked at the Floriade website they have a lot of links to accommodation in the area, in all price-ranges.

you should find something there.

PalenQ Jan 2nd, 2012 04:47 AM

Maastricht to me, though a bit far from Venlo, is one of the most unique and prettiest cities in Holland.

Saraho Jan 2nd, 2012 05:50 AM

Pal, what is the name of the B and B?

We went to Floriade last time. It was okay, but not exactly what we had been expecting. We will be there this spring but don't plan to go to Floriade again.

PalenQ Jan 2nd, 2012 07:15 AM

http://botbedbreakfast.com/

This is in Haarlem and I base there for Amsterdam and rail trips to many nearby cities, like all of Holland is nearby.

Nice brother and sister run the place, on a canal in the heart of Haarlem - great friendly folk. the Bot family.

annhig Jan 2nd, 2012 07:53 AM

We went to Floriade last time. It was okay, but not exactly what we had been expecting. We will be there this spring but don't plan to go to Floriade again.>>

saraho - mind expanding on this a bit? My mum has been before albeit 30 years ago, and this is quite a big trip for her so would you mind telling us why you weren't that impressed?

Saraho Jan 4th, 2012 04:19 AM

Thanks for the B and B information, Pal.

annihig, we were disappointed at the surprising lack of flowers at 2002 Floriade. There were some , of course, but many of of the international exhibits, although interesting, had few plants, but rather had products and souvenirs on display. Google "review Floriade 2002" to get photos and opinions of that year at Floriade.

However, from what I have read about Floriade 2012, it appears it wil be quite different. Evidently there will also be many cultural events, music, art, architecture. And it will be in a different location.

We might have planned to go again, but this time we will be traveling with friends who have not been to the Netherlands before so we don't want to take the time to make an extra trip to Floriade when there are so many other places our friends want to see. And I want to go to Delft, too.

annhig Jan 4th, 2012 12:06 PM

thanks saraho - that's cheered me up! this is by way of being a compensatory belated 80th birthday trip for my mum, after the helicopter that was to take us to the Scilies on her birthday itself broke down! we were chatting about what we could do instead and it turned out that she'd never seen Keukenhof, [though she had seen the Floriade about 30 years ago] and we were happy to see Keukenhof again, so a belated 80th birthday trip was born.

we will have a car, so if it is a washout, i suppose we can just get in the car and go somewhere else. we will be in Delft for 3 days, then Maastricht for 2, unless i find somewhere I prefer nearer to Venlo. any ideas?

PalenQ Jan 4th, 2012 12:45 PM

I was also at Floriade 2002 and felt about the same as Saraho! A bit let down but maybe because expectations were too high - it was still a good shew as Ed Sullivan may have put it!

Saraho Jan 4th, 2012 04:04 PM

Your mother will love Keukenhof. We are definitely going there in late April. I have lovely photos of the flowers from last trip. Everywhere I pointed the camera was a great photo.

lavandula Jan 4th, 2012 04:19 PM

I was at the 2002 Floriade too - I was surprised at the lack of flowers because in Canberra there is also a Floriade which is outdoors and focusses only on flowers (mostly bulbs - it's a spring festival), but there was at the Dutch Floriade really a superb indoor exhibition on hydroponics and the automated process of growing vegetables in hothouses which I thought was really excellent. The entire roof of the indoor section was also a solar panel - enormous! It's still a really interesting day out regardless. However, there was pretty much a monopoly on the food service there, as you might expect at such events. and it was a bit expensive and of average quality, so go mentally prepared for that.
I would be interested to see this Floriade but sadly won't make it there this time. Can you post a trip report when you go please (and any other Fodorites who are thinking of going!)?

Lavandula

annhig Jan 5th, 2012 06:25 AM

However, there was pretty much a monopoly on the food service there, as you might expect at such events. and it was a bit expensive and of average quality, so go mentally prepared for that.>>

sounds like an argument for filling up at the hotel breakfast buffet!

Saraho - we loved the Keukenhof when we went for the first time a few years ago and are really looking forward to seeing it with mum. fingers crossed for decent weather.

thank you all for your comments and of course I'll do a TR when we get back.

PalenQ Jan 5th, 2012 12:55 PM

I would avoid the Keukenhof on weekends - one Sunday I were there it was a zoo - lots of Dutch families - week days more relaxed!

annhig Jan 5th, 2012 02:40 PM

Pal - we arrive on Monday morning, leave on the following saturday, so all our trip avoids the weekend, just about.

good tip though!

riekiki Feb 21st, 2012 03:46 AM

Hello Marybird,
If you are still searching, you can rent my house! (I live in Venlo).
+31 658851040

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2012 05:29 AM

riekiki - Q is Camping DeWeerd, just north of Venlo on the river still in business - stayed there many many times years ago and curious as to whether this family-run camp is still around?

thanks

riekiki Feb 22nd, 2012 10:55 AM

Yes it iS! You will find in google.
And there is this: www.sleepinginvenlo.webklik.nl

riekiki Feb 22nd, 2012 01:04 PM

Found another site with cheap hotel / B&B in Venlo: http://bedandbreakfast.bbnl.nl/uptodate/Venlo/
So a cheap stay in Venlo during the Floriade is possible!