Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence with Students : Is this way too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
JWH
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a group of AP Art History students to Italy and the tragically we will have only one full day in Florence. We want to see as much as possible. It may kill us but this is the day I am suggesting to them...if it is just crazy - tell me. Also, which places (other than the Academia) should we order tickets for in advance? Thanks!

7: 05 – 7:35 – Santa Maria Novella (Architecture and Massachio’s Crucifiction)
7:40 – 8:05 – San Lorenzo (Architecture and Medici Tomb)
8:15 – 10:05 – Academia (David – long lines)
10:20-10:50 – Monastery of San Marco (Fra Angelico)
10:50 – 12:15 – Walk to Bargello, see Palazzo Vecchio and get lunch along the way
12:20 – 1:15 – The Bargello (Donatello’s David and more)
1:15 – 1:45 – Walk over Ponte Vecchio, past Santa Spirito to Santa Maria Del Carmine
1:45 – 2:25 – Santa Maria Del Carmine (Massachio’s Adam and Eve and Tribute $)
2: 40 – 3:50 – Uffizi (Birth of Venus and much more)
4:15 – 4:45 – Duomo and Gates of Paradise

5:15 – To the market at San Lorenzo
6:10 – back to hotel for brief rest and snack

7:10 – Cabs to Piazza Michelangelo (if it is a nice day) to watch the sunset
8:15 – Late Dinner
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM

In your other post, you mention you are taking the train from Rome to Florence on a Wed. morning. Do you already have Wed. afternoon booked with some activity or can you move some of the things on this list to Wed. afternoon? You probably already know that this is going to be almost impossible to pull off and certainly so to have any meaning to your students. I fear that they will not remember half of what they see this day if you pursue this plan and could possibly come down with a raging case of Stendahl syndrome. You will need to get advance tickets to the Uffizi or your hour and ten minutes allotted to it will be used up standing in line. Even if you have advance tickets, it will be difficult to see the Uffizi in under two hours, minimum. If you can't move anything to Wed. afternoon, I suggest dropping San Marco and possibly Santa Maria del Carmine.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Yes, this is too much in my opinion. As the birthplace of the Renaissance, obviously a lot to see. Climb inside Brunellesci's dome for a fantastic views, and a great way to understand the city. There used to be a small pizzeria across Via de Cerretani from the Duomo, very good.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of time for the Uffizi. You can sit and rest while enjoying beautiful sculptures in the Loggia dei Lanzi(Perseus & Medusa by Benvenuto Cellini). Also the Orsan Michele has 14 sculpture niches on exterior with works by Donatello, Ghiberti, and Verrocchio.

The Medici tombs in San Lorenzo are important works, but I don't know if I would spend the time at Monastery of San Marco or Santa Maria del Carmine, given only one day.

Use a map to plan your itinerary, so you're not running back and forth across the city. I would recommend going from north to south (downhill), starting with the Duomo and San Lorenzo, Bargello, Uffizi, then cross the Arno on the Pont Vecchio to eliminate doubling back to make the most of your time.

I would recommend more quality time with the major works rather than a "drive-by" of everything. Understanding the culture of the time and the patronage of the Medici is probably more important to your students
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM

This is crazy.

It might be able to be done, but it's still crazy.

The last time I was in Florence, Santa Maria Novella did not open to tourists until perhaps 9:30am--at 7:00am it was open strictly for prayer or mass. We were there at about 8:30am. So we walked over to San Lorenzo and found the Biblioteca Laurentiana still closed as well as the church and therefore the chapel.

It is very difficult to plan such a tight schedule around the church opening schedules, which are posted yet "flexible."

If you make reservations, you can be in and out of the Academia in an hour depending on how much you linger.

30 minutes at San Marco is extremely tight. There is a small gallery, and then the monastery cells upstairs. It takes a lot of time just to pop in and out of each cell, never mind to actually look at the art. I think you should allow an hour. (This is me trying to work with your idea of timing . . .)

You can walk to the Bargello in less than 15 minutes from San Marco. The only lunch you'll fit/find so early is a panini from a bar or pizza a taglio, either one to go. Grab 15 or 20 minutes from here to add to art. ( I assume you meant "glance at" Palazzo Vecchio.)

I expect that you have verified that the Brancacci Chapel at Santa Maria del Carmine is open from 1:15 to 1:45 since it is a special side entry for the chapel. Most churches will be closed during those hours.

The Uffizi in an hour? I've done it myslef, but it wasn't my first visit. Might be a challenge for your group who will actually want to linger, study, and discuss. Depending on the time of year you might find blockades of people in some rooms, especially the Botticelli room.

After all this, you schedule almost an hour at the San Lorenzo markets? I love the San Lorenzo Markets, but this seems frivolous considering the rest of your plan. Do you have some evening activity that makes it impossible for your brief rest and snack to take place later . . . 6:45? 7:00? Is this a high school group that you can't split up--some go back for a rest, some shop--all this happens at 6:10? Grabbing that 45 minutes could mean a lot to your schedule.

I am impressed that you would

1) take on such a group
2) envision such a plan

It is possible, but only if every single element goes perfectly. I would choose the two or three most important elements and make sure those happened without a hitch, then fill in around them.

Auguri!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The are high school kids - AP or not, still kids. My guess is by 0830 your plan will already be in chaos.

One person by himself <i>might</i> be able to stick to this schedule - but a group (how many BTW) -- no way, no how.

Any schedule that has :05's in it (except for Swiss trains) isn't going to work. People just don't manage/enjoy 30 mins here, 25 there on a strict march like this
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Too much backtracking. You need to group things by area and do all of them before you move to the next area or you will be wasting time.

You can get reservations for the Accademia and Uffizi in advance so you won't have to wait in line. The Accademia is usually less crowded in the afternoons.

Start near your hotel and then plot a route covering everything in the area before you move on. For example, you will be walking past the Duomo on your way to the Bargello. Stop and see the Duomo en route.

I think your day is crazy or you haven't traveled with a group of students before. They will need breaks ( bathroom, drinks, snacks, shopping).
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM

I agree with climbing the Duomo for your students- it is an adventure they will always remember, especially if you all read Brunelleschi's Dome beforehand. The demons when you finally come out up above are amazingly huge! As a history teacher and art lover the Duomo area was a highlight. They can also see both sets of doors from the contest and the museum is right there- small and moving with that Michelangelo piece to see, too. The area is fun to sit and eat gelato and there's lots of little cafes. Spending some time in the square outside the Uffizi was also thrilling, with all the Medici-related sights. I would think the Uffizi and then the David (with reservations) would the most you can all handle. As has been pointed out, they might be in AP but they are still teens- let them have longer in the shops at San Lorenzo (great food gifts for family back home, too)and maybe let the chapel be optional. One last idea might be to take the bus up to Fiesole, although the food would be more expensive- what a gorgeous view out over the city to end their day. My daughter did a whirlwind European tour in high school and it does become like ticking items off a list- David, check; this, check, that, check ;etc- rather than time to reflect and just savor the experience. How fortunate you all are- have a fabulous trip!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:54 AM
ira

Hi J,

Ain't no way.

You might want to keep in mind that it's downhill from the Accademia to the Ponte Vecchio.

Here's my suggestion. You can amend it as you like:

A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:35 AM

You have also neglected to allow time for getting from place to place. From Santa Maria Novella to the Medici chapel will take a lot longer than 5 minutes. And you left out Santa Croce! Take them to the Accademia, the Uffizi, the Carmine, the Duomo, and the Piazza della Signoria. This will include Ponte Vecchio. I would be amazed if you could fit more in and not turn &quot;pazzo&quot; halfway through!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:50 AM

One website says the Brancacci chapel is closed from 1 to 2 pm. Reservations are required to visit the chapel and you must be there 10 minutes before your scheduled time. You are only allowed to stay in the chapel 15 minutes. As Ira said, the original Gates of Paradise panels are in the Museum of the Opera del Duomo. Hate to add another museum to this already packed schedule but if your art history students want to see the originals, they will have to go to the Museum. It's a nice, small museum with Donatello's amazing Mary Magdalene and Michelangelo's last Pieta--VERY different from the one in St. Peter's. And yes, I didn't notice at first that you left out Santa Croce. The Giotto frescos there would have to be on the top of any art history student's list of things to see.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:15 AM
MaureenB

You and your student group might be able to get the Friends of the Uffizi card, which would give you a discount there and at other museums, too, I think. Our daughter had one, when she studied for a semester in Florence. It might only be cost-effective if you're there for longer, but it's worth asking about.
&gt;-

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM
MaureenB

Here's info. on the Friends membership: http://www.florenceforfun.org/index.php?lng=1&amp;id=31

&quot;Go to all the Museums in Florence for only 25 euro
'Amici Degli Uffizi' - Join Friends of the Uffizi Gallery and enjoy free entrance for a year to all of the state owned galleries in Florence. Only &euro;25 for students under 26 years of age.

Benefits of the &quot;Amici degli Uffizi&quot; membership:
Free entrance to the Uffizi Gallery and the State Museums in Florence:
The Uffizi Gallery
Pitti Palace (Palatina Gallery e Royal Apartments, Gallery of Modern Art, Costume Gallery, Silver Museum, Porcelain Museum, Boboli Gardens)
San Marco Museum
Accademia Gallery
Bargello Museum
Medici Chapels
Cenacolo by Sant'Andrea del Sarto (Refectory of the Santo Spirito Church)
Medici Villa La Petraia
Medici Villa at Poggio a Caiano
Other advantages of the membership card include:

Exclusive guided visits to the Gallery
Subscription to the Uffizi Newspaper
Invitations to exhibitions and cultural events
Reduced price tickets for concerts of the Orchestra della Toscana at Teatro Verdi
Reduced price tickets for concerts of the Teatro del Maggio Musicale
20% discount on price ticket for premieres and Saturday performances during the 2003/2004 season at Teatro della Pergola
Become a Member

Individual: valid for one adult (cost &euro;60)
Family: two adults and two children under 18 years old (cost &euro;100)
Young: under 26 years old (cost &euro;25)

Membership duration: one year
&gt;-

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Make sure everything is open on the day and times you'll be there. Florence is especially frustrating in opening/closing times/days. There are all kinds of places closed the first, third and fifth Sundays of the month, the Duomo tower closes early on Saturdays, etc. etc. Of course, the museums are closed on Mondays. It was impossible for us to get into all of the places you want to visit, and we had three days.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM

MaureenB,
Looks like the Friends of Uffizi might be a great deal for my daughter, but not necessarily for me. Do you know if you can still pay the E3 reservation fee separately and use the annual pass?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
MaureenB

Deb, I'm sorry I don't know that. I think if you have the Friends pass, you can go straight to the head of the line, but I'm not positive about that.
&gt;-

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM

This IS crazy....except that 8:15 PM is not considered a late dinner in Italy.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM

In the Bargello, don't forget a quick look at the 2 panels that Ghiberti and Bruneleschi did when they competed for the Baptistry doors commission. In the same room as Donatello's David, at least when I was there.

I agree that seeing the orignal Baptistry door panels and Donatello's Mary Magdalene in the Opera del Duomo museum would be worthwhile...
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:50 AM

Wow!!! Thanks for all the info (this is JWH but I'm posting from school - JTeach). I tried to chart all the opening and closing times but I didn't look at the separate chapel for Santa Maria del Carmine so I will have to check. Many of these places were picked because we studied a certain work in Art History. The schedule took in factors too numerous to mention. We know this is incredibly ambitious and that we will have to cut and ammend as we go. For those wondering about the shopping time for Art History students...10 of the 14 are girls who really want to shop! I didn't realize that some of the churches were open but only for worship at certain times. I'll check into many of the suggestions - thanks so much! LOTS to think about. Thanks!!!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:58 AM

Yes, your group will need and want to shop. Just choose carefully where you schedule it. At 5:15 pm, many of your museums and churches will still be open. However, many sights do close for a few hours at lunch. Perhaps you could have a lunch/shopping break in the middle of this busy day.