Reload this Page >

Florence with Boys and Grandparents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Gini

MY husband and I are traveling to Florence with our three boys (9,11,13)and their three grandparents (75,78,79). We plan on spending a few days in Florence and then driving to the Spoleto area where my dad's family is located and spending several days there. We then plan to return to Florence at least a day before our flight home. My dad speaks fluent Italian but the rest of us can only speak with our hands. Any thoughts on a memorable trip in Florence for a group 9 to 79?

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Carol

What are their interests? Art? (if so, any preferences for painting or sculpture or architecture? medieval or renaissance?) Science? History? Literasture? (If so, have they read works of Dante and do they have special interest in his life?) Shopping? (If so, what kind: jewelry, fine paper crafts, lace and embroideries, cooking ingredients?) What's their walking ability?<BR><BR>My own favorite museum is the Bargello, a sculpture museum in a very beautiful building. If enough of you have interests beyond art, in the area of science, astronomy, navigation, you might like the museum of the history of science. Walking in the narrow old medieval streets would be wonderful for the children to give them a sense of historic Florence and of how different European cities are from American.( For example the area of Orsanmichele and Dante's house might stimulate their historic imagination.) I think the children (as well as the rest of you) might especially enjoy a few hours in Fiesole. The children might like climbing to the top of the Duomo, though the grandparents won't unless they're exceptionally fit for their ages. If you like to go bike riding, I think Settignano would be nice.<BR><BR>English is widely spoken in Florence, more than in any other place in Italy that I have visited in the past 5 years. However, in the train station, even speaking Italian won't make your experience pleasant. Be careful in the train station. It's the only real bad part of Flroence, and it's pretty awful.

Carol

What are their interests? Art? (if so, any preferences for painting or sculpture or architecture? medieval or renaissance?) Science? History? Literasture? (If so, have they read works of Dante and do they have special interest in his life?) Shopping? (If so, what kind: jewelry, fine paper crafts, lace and embroideries, cooking ingredients?) What's their walking ability?<BR><BR>My own favorite museum is the Bargello, a sculpture museum in a very beautiful building. If enough of you have interests beyond art, in the area of science, astronomy, navigation, you might like the museum of the history of science. Walking in the narrow old medieval streets would be wonderful for the children to give them a sense of historic Florence and of how different European cities are from American.( For example the area of Orsanmichele and Dante's house might stimulate their historic imagination.) I think the children (as well as the rest of you) might especially enjoy a few hours in Fiesole. The children might like climbing to the top of the Duomo, though the grandparents won't unless they're exceptionally fit for their ages. If you like to go bike riding, I think Settignano would be nice.<BR><BR>English is widely spoken in Florence, more than in any other place in Italy that I have visited in the past 5 years. However, in the train station, even speaking Italian won't make your experience pleasant. Be careful in the train station. It's the only really bad part of Flroence, and it's pretty awful.

Carol

What are their interests? Art? (if so, any preferences for painting or sculpture or architecture? medieval or renaissance?) Science? History? Literasture? (If so, have they read works of Dante and do they have special interest in his life?) Shopping? (If so, what kind: jewelry, fine paper crafts, lace and embroideries, cooking ingredients?) What's their walking ability?<BR><BR>My own favorite museum is the Bargello, a sculpture museum in a very beautiful building. If enough of you have interests beyond art, in the area of science, astronomy, navigation, you might like the museum of the history of science. Walking in the narrow old medieval streets would be wonderful for the children to give them a sense of historic Florence and of how different European cities are from American.( For example the area of Orsanmichele and Dante's house might stimulate their historic imagination.) I think the children (as well as the rest of you) might especially enjoy a few hours in Fiesole. The children might like climbing to the top of the Duomo, though the grandparents won't unless they're exceptionally fit for their ages. If you like to go bike riding, I think Settignano would be nice.<BR><BR>English is widely spoken in Florence, more than in any other place in Italy that I have visited in the past 5 years. However, in the train station, even speaking Italian won't make your experience pleasant. Be careful in the train station. It's the only really bad part of Florence, and it's pretty awful.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Gini

Carol: Thank you for your quick response. The Boys love to play and see things that they've read about. They enjoy art but I suspect will tire of museums quickly. This will be their 3rd trip to Italy but the first time in Florence. Their fondest memories are running through piazzas, climbing the hills near my dad's family's home, and playing with other kids. All three Grandparents have physical limitations. Sooo is Florence a bad choice for this group?