Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence-Which of these four? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-which-of-these-four-733355/)

lulu1929 Sep 1st, 2007 05:45 AM

Florence-Which of these four?

I am going to Florence in May and trying for a reasonable {cheap} hotel to stay.
Polihotels Palazzo Ognissanti-3 nights for 342E,Hotel Orcagna 270E,Hotel mario,s 480E or Hotel Casci 525E. I don't want to spend more than 500 Euro's for the 3 days.Any other ideas? We are 2people and have never been

hdm Sep 1st, 2007 05:57 AM

I wouldn't be able to tell you the current rates, but we were quite happy with the Hotel Globus in Florence. It's very centre, right near the San Lorenzo market and about a 5-minute walk from the Duomo (but then we found everything in Florence to be a pretty easy walk).

We were not given the 'room with a view' we requested but were given a very large, central room with an extra little bedroom which we used as more or less a closet, and a big bathroom. It was very clean, service was good and breakfast -- a small but perfectly fine buffet -- was included.

ira Sep 1st, 2007 05:57 AM

Hi L,

We spent 11 nights at www.bedinflorence,it.

I can highly recommend it.

((I))

ekscrunchy Sep 1st, 2007 06:27 AM

Palazzo Ognisanti is a four-star hotel; I am not wild about the location but the price sounds very good. And you will be close to the excellent Trattoria Sostanza, one of the best places to sample bistecca alla Fiorentina. You will be able to walk to the sights of the city if you are reasonably fit.

ekscrunchy Sep 1st, 2007 06:32 AM

You asked for ideas so I will give you one of my new favorite places to stay in Florence:

www.inpiazzadellasignoria.com

It is an upscale B&B located on one of the city's most celebrated, and beautiful, squares. You will have the run of the house..well stocked kitchen with wine and food, free internet, lovely breakfast..it is located in a restored townhouse appointed with wonderful antiques and plenty of books and guides.

Another favorite of mine is the Beacci Tournabuoni, although I have not stayed there in about 5 years. Great location for shopping and sights..ten minutes walk to train station in an upscale area:

http://www.tornabuonihotels.com/home_ing.asp

sandi_travelnut Sep 1st, 2007 09:18 AM

Hey EK.

Lulu, in Dec of 2004 my family and I stayed at www.inpiazzadellasignoria.com also and it is our favorite hotel in Florence. The rooms are as beautiful as they are on the websites and the bathrooms are amazing. Our windows looked out onto the famous piazza. Great family-style breakfast, free internet and they give you the use of the kitchen anytime you want.

Jean Sep 1st, 2007 11:39 AM

Unfortunately, the B&B in Piazza Della Signoria which receives such glowing reviews is not within Lulu1929's budget of 165 euros per night or less.

I can recommend the Tourist House Ghiberti (www.touristhouseghiberti.com) which is just under the poster's budget ceiling. But, Lulu1929, this is not a hotel in the traditional sense. The desk is manned about 18 hours a day, but if you think you'll require hotel-type assistance like laundry or room service, this is not the place for you. The owners are helpful with tourist info and making inquiring phone calls, but the atmosphere is more like staying in an apartment. The location is excellent (near the Duomo), the rooms are clean and huge (for Florence), the bathrooms are clean and large (for Florence), and the included breakfast is very good.

lulu1929 Sep 1st, 2007 11:41 AM

everyone thanyou. I am checking all your information right now.
LULu

lyndash Sep 1st, 2007 11:48 AM

also a nice & inexpensive place with small fridge and coffee and tea kettle and the fixings for breakfast is Soggiorno Pezzati on 22 via san zanobi. I stayed there is Feb of 2005 and did a trip report if you click on my screen name.

they have a website....lynda

less than 60E a night at the time[off season rates].....lynda

sarge56 Sep 1st, 2007 01:38 PM

bookmarking.

ek..what IS that dish you described? Will be in Florence first time in about 7 weeks and looking for good places to dine. :)

thx,Paula

ps you can send recs to me at paulamegtrip at yahoo. thx!

annhig Sep 1st, 2007 01:49 PM

hi, sarge,

to call it florentine steak is to do it a disservice - you get a very large t-bone steak, charged by weight, cooked rare [unless you ask for it otherwise], very tender and yummy.

DS and I shared one and it was qutie enough for both of us. [and he can eat]

regards [not ekscrunchy,btw] ann

plafield Sep 1st, 2007 03:50 PM

We adored the Relais Grand Tour. It's on a quiet street, less than 10 minutes walk to the duomo. For 135 Euro (cash payment) we stayed in the Diva Suite, a gorgeous and spacious room with a comfortable double bed, a lovely sitting area, a big modern bathroom (with a sauna!), a computer with internet in the room and a small fridge. There was a very sweet shared garden terrace to sit out and enjoy a glass of wine before dinner. A continental breakfast was included in the price at a great little cafe 2 minutes up the sreet where the coffee was excellent and the cornetto fresh and delicious. For an extra fee you could order a full American breakfast too. I highly reccommend this place.
http://www.florencegrandtour.com/home.htm

LucieV Sep 1st, 2007 07:47 PM

Enthusiastically second the Relais Grand Tour. We had the Actor's Suite. One of my favorite places I've ever stayed. Can't say enough good things about it!

ExplorerB Sep 1st, 2007 08:03 PM

lulu,

The Residenza il Vilino is a terrific three-star choice that would set you back about $375 for three nights. It's located on a nondescript street, yet it's a very short walk to the Accademia and it's a safe location. More importantly, the il Vilino offers first-rate service, comfy, attractive, air-con rooms, and free internet. Breakfasts are fine, too. In short, it's very good value for money. My wife and I stayed there last August. You can read more about it on my blog at explorerbear.blogspot.com. It's in the Florence section.

Best of luck.