Search

Florence - Where to stay and what to do

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence - Where to stay and what to do

Hi..

I will be in Florence from 22nd Nov night arrival from CT and check out on morning of 25th Nov.

Effectively i have two full days in Florence.

We are not much into art and don't want to spend time in museums.

What are the must see and do in Florence. Are all the attractions walk able distance??

Also we have 8am train from Firenze Campo Di Marte to Bolzano, and would like to stay nearby that area so we can walk to station comfortably with luggage. is that area good to stay and explore Florence for 2 days, Kindly suggest.

Thanks.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:11 AM

If you don't have a serious interest in museums and in particular Renaissance art, I can't see spending two days in Florence when there are so many other options in the area.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Florence, home of the renaisance, what are you going there for? Answer in the question ;-)

The old town is pretty small and easy to walk in 20 to 30 minutes, often on small roads. Staying where you suggest makes some sense, but given your interests the only real attraction left is the gardens.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:28 AM

Since you're staying near the Vatican in Rome, I'm going to guess that you're open to churches. If not, pick another destination.

The Duomo
Santa Croce
Santa Maria Novella
(lots of art in most churches in Florence)

Shopping? It a good city for that.

Views? It can be cold on the hills, but a bus up to Fiesole, for the ancient arena and Etruscan museum, and a walk or a bus up to Piazza Michelangelo

Historic Buildings? Still filled with art: Palozzo Pitti and Palazzo Vecchio.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/i...s-to-do/sights

I would rather be in the middle of the sights and take a cab to the train station, especially at a time of year with as many rainy days as dry ones. But if you prefer the opposite, you can search for properties on www.booking.com.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions.

For sure i am open to the must see museums in FLorence.. David by Michelangelo?? But as we dont know much about art dont want to waste precious day light hours in museums.. Any museums open for night visit??

Also would like to explore this ancient city.Architecture etc.

Shopping - YESS!!! But would prefer local Italian designers.

Yes a visit to Piazza Michelangelo

We do love churches and plan to visit them.

What would be the best area to stay??
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 10:38 AM

What kind of price range are you looking for, in hotels?

https://www.themall.it/en/outlet-italy/homepage.html
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 11:46 AM

Look, you can either educate yourself about Renaissance art and arrive in Florence with an appreciation for it and visit some of the world-renowned museums there and see the masterpieces, or you can decide that none of that interests you in the least (which is your loss, but that's another story) and move on to the markets and go shopping and pursue more materialistic endeavors, which is fine.

Why would a night visit to a museum tell you more about the history of art than a day visit? You either know what you're seeing and appreciae it for what it is, or you don't.

You love churches but aren't interested in Italian Renaissance art? There's a bit of a problem. What is it about the churches that draws you? I admit they're beautiful, but you seem to have a higher pursuit.

Ancient architecture in Firenze? Google it. There's plenty.

It would be very hard not to find local Italian designers when shopping in Firenze.

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but your interests seem very simplistic, your background research incredibly slim, and your needs as travelers incredibly simple as you are not really interested in the history or art of where you're going, rather on shopping and simplistic pursuits.
\
What do you really want to do in Italy and why did you decide to come here (I am in Italy at the moment; hence I m saying "here".)

You do not seem to have done any serious research into what a trip to Italy entails.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 12:46 PM

Was going to tell you to read trip report ´ Woin in Firenze but it is all about museums.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Italian shopping, well there are two types of Italian designed stuff you will find. The international brands, many of whom are local italian designers will be found in all the shops between the "ponte vecchio" to the Duomo and in the streets around the Duomo, these shops tend to be open to catch the tourist and can be good value but, let's face it, are there to mug the tourists. There are also local designers who have not made the big step to international sales and exist more on the periphery. You will find that smaller shops are open only for limited hours and are run by a small team who maybe also make the stuff so you have to hunt them out, my only advice is that the area around the gardens and and some of those side streets have some great stuff, made locally and bought locally by locals.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 01:08 AM

Since you're interested in churches I strongly recommend a visit to the Santa Croce basilica. Apart from the magnificent neo-Gothic facade the basilica houses the tombs of more luminaries of the Renaissance than any other church in Italy, including Michelangelo, Galileo, Dante, Vassari Rossini, Machiavelli, etc. Not to be missed IMO.