Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence-where to stay and is Sunday and Monday okay and itinerary help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Florence in June for 2 nights. Taking the train from Venice on Sunday morning and leaving for Rome on Tuesday morning.Looking for hotels I think instead of an apartment since this is a short stay but will have to get two rooms since we are traveling with 5 people. Will places be open for Sunday visits? I know it is a short amount of time but wanted to fit it in. Ideas for where to go during that short time? I am on overload looking at sites and everything starts to blend. Know it sounds bizarre as I would never stay in one here but has anyone stayed at the Best Western there? Has received decent reviews.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM

The museums are closed on Monday. On Sunday Uffizi and Accademia close around 6:30.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM

In Italy, Best WEstern does not equate with a homogenized American-style hotel. Often hotels labeled Best Western are existing hotels that have joined the Best Western family.

Cruiseluv is correct--if you want to see the Uffizi or Accademia, make reservations (and DO reserve considering it's June and your time is short) for Sunday afternoon/evening. Your hotel can make these reservations for you well before you arrive.

It seems like you will be visiting Venice before and Rome after and that's it. For a sense of Florence as a city in Tuscany, on Monday afternoon you might take a taxi or bus to Piazzale Michelangelo for a beautiful view over the city, a look at the lovely hills surrounding Florence, and a nice walk down the hill back into town.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are three hotels in Florence that are part of the Best Western marketing group.

Hotel Laurus (closest to the Duomo and rated the highest of the three on Tripadvisor)

Hotel Rivoli (not far from the train station)

Hotel Select (far from the historical center and rated the lowest of these three properties)

I've stayed in Best Western-affiliated hotels throughout Europe. Some are exceptional; most are very good value for the money.

In Florence, we stay at Tourist House Ghiberti. Only five rooms, not exactly a hotel (no lobby), excellent location.

www.touristhouseghiberti.com

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

I was worried about Sunday and Monday but we are stuck with those days. Will there be things to do on Monday. Maybe we can take the train to Pisa that day? Thanks for the updates on the hotels. I am also looking at the Beacci Tornabuoni Hotel. Has anyone been there? Will make reservations for the museums. Thanks for the updates. This site has helped me so much being a novice in Europe.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:49 AM

We stay at the Hotel Porta Faenza because it is so close to the train station and is an easy walk to everything we want to see. We paid 170 Euro per night for a large room for 3 people.

WWW.HOTELPORTAFAENZA.IT
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM

>>>Will there be things to do on Monday. Maybe we can take the train to Pisa that day?<<<

Hi, I would really recommend staying in Florence on Monday. You could walk over to the Oltrarno, you could visit some churches, there's no shortage of things to do just because the museusm are closed.

Besides which, going to Pisa would be too much running around imo. I think if you're staying in Florence, it would be best to use your limited time to get a feel for the city.