Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence Walking Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-walking-itinerary-711601/)

pgoody Jun 8th, 2007 11:05 AM

Florence Walking Itinerary

While in Florence for two and a half days we want to see the Ufizzi, the Accademia, the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, Santa Croce, the Prada outlet and if possible Pisa. We have tickets for the Ufizzi on the first full day and tickets for the Accademia on the second full day. What is the best way to fit in the rest of the sights and what is the best way to get to the Prada outlet? We are renting a car as we leave Florence and are staying in Cortona (Tuscany) for two nights and then driving on to Rome. Any recommendations as to how we fit in Pisa or should we just drop it from our list?

KTtravel Jun 8th, 2007 12:26 PM

Ponte Vecchio and Santa Croce are very close to the Ufizzi so I would add those to your Ufizzi day. I'm afraid I don't know where the Prada outlet is and hope someone else can help you with that.

Enjoy your trip!

mcnyc Jun 8th, 2007 01:30 PM

Wow...seems like you're cramming a lot in 2 1/2 days. Pisa is a 1/2 day trip in itself, that is, if all you want to do is see the Leaning Tower. If you want to climb it, you better have gotten your tickets already! With all that you're doing, I'd drop the Leaning Tower, unless it is a must do for you.

The Ufizzi, unless you're willing to breeze through it or have something specific you have in mind, will take another 1/2 day at least. Same with the Accademia, unless you're there to just see the David.

The Prada outlet is a bus ride away. Search for it here, you should be able to find it.

cmay Jun 9th, 2007 11:00 AM

If I was you I'd consider adding the Capella Medici to my Florence itinerary. It's pretty centrally located, doesn't take too long, and all the marble is really something.

Otherwise, I'd second the other people about maybe dropping pisa unless it's important to you. I'd rather have a second full day in florence. Pisa is nice, but florence is better. Other than the Prada outlet (no idea where it is), most everything else is fairly centrally located so you should be able to squeeze it in.

kate12 Jun 9th, 2007 12:05 PM

Florence is one of my favourite cities and I agree that you should not rush thru it. Take time to go to the street market and just walk and walk. The Uffizi is amazing and will take you a few hours at least.

pgoody Jun 10th, 2007 10:04 AM

Everyone seems to be in agreement..we're going to save Pisa for another time...thanks all

mcnyc Jun 10th, 2007 12:21 PM

I agree with cmay's suggestion of adding the Cappella Medici to your itinerary. You will pass it by many times during your short stay in Florence, and a walk into it is amazing, as the Medici crypt is housed there (read tons of magnificent art!).

Actually, walking into just about any church in Florence is like walking into a museum.

While in Florence, remember to feed il porcellino a coin and pet him on the snout for a speedy return. ;)

MaureenB Jun 10th, 2007 12:37 PM

I think you're smart to drop Pisa this time. Florence is wonderful and you have very little time there.
:)>-

smlri Jun 10th, 2007 01:00 PM

I recommend a walking tour for a short stay in a city and have done the Artviva Original walking tour of Florence twice in past 3 years (and also in Venice). It's a great way to get an overview and then go back and see more on your own time. Site was Artviva.com.-made reservations before we left home. Skip the Leaning tower. We saw it last fall but only because we were on our way to Cinque terre. We had rented a house in Tuscany for a week on that same trip which was near Montavarchi and I think that is where the Prada factory is. If you are on your way to Cortona-my favorite of all the towns we went to-I will try to remember the name of the great place we ate-you will pass the exit for Montavarchi on the autostrada-an hour or so south of florence. Have fun!

Jed Jun 11th, 2007 07:37 AM

I second the Artviva half-day tour of Florence, as early as you can take it. http://tinyurl.com/yowvo2 ((*))

Hana Jun 11th, 2007 08:09 AM

Hi pgoody -

We've been to the PRADA outlet three times as well as The Mall (last visit in fall 2006). Below are directions I copied and pasted from an internet site. We've gotten lost twice when going to the Prada outlet - stop and ask directions - the locals we've run into always seem to know!

We've only waited in line for Prada once - in fall 2003 - so do get there earlier in the day if you can.

Consider the Mall - easy drive (maybe 30-40 minutes) from Florence and offers many more shopping alternatives. To be honest, we favour it over the Prada outlet.

PRADA
I Pelleteria d'Italia
Località Levanella
Montevarchi
Phone: +39 055 9789188

Take the A1 autostrada - Exit 'Valdarno', Out of the toll turn right and follow signs for ‘Montevarchi’ or ‘Centro’. At the big round about that has an IPER - COOP supermarket exit left. Then continue towards Arezzo. Pass through Montevarchi and 'Località levanella' after the village pass a gas station and then follow signs for I PELLETTIERI D'ITALIA in the 'Zona Industriale' on the left.

The sign for the outlet is at a traffic light. On your left is a huge grey factory that is all Prada and the outlet is in the back of the main factory complex.

THE MALL
Via Europa 8
50060 Leccio, Reggello - Firenze
Phone: +39 055 8657 775
Fax: +39 055 8657 801

Agnona, Bottega Veneta, Emanuel Ungaro, Ermenegildo Zegna, Giorgio Armani, Gucci, La Perla, Loro Piana, Salvatore Ferragamo, Sergio Rossi, Yves Saint Laurent, Tod's & Valentino, Fendi, Burberry, Pucci (and perhaps more by now - every time we've been there have been new stores added).

THE MALL outlet centre shops opening hours:
10 am –7 pm non-stop Monday-Saturday; 3 pm – 7 pm on Sunday.

Take the A1 highway direction South from Florence and exit at INCISA. From the exit follow the signs to Leccio – Reggello. Stay on the right towards Pontassieve until reaching Leccio. Soon after passing the center of Leccio, The Mall will be on the left.

Happy shopping!

Heinton Jun 11th, 2007 11:34 AM

Ufizzi is huge and can be overwhelming. We downloaded a map of the museum and a list of displays. Then we voted on what we really "had" to see, marked them on the map and just saw those things. Otherwise it's easy to do the first room, the second room, and by the third room you're ready to quit and haven't seen the best stuff yet! Even having done that we were there just over half a day and very tired when finished.