Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence/Venice in February...necessary to book museums in advance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the posts say to book in advance with the exception of one post which stated it's not necessary if you're visiting in Jan/Feb. Opinions please. I don't want to have to wait in lines but would also prefer the flexibility to go when we want. And we WON'T be in Venice during Carnivel.

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM

The one museum people book ahead in Venice is the Secret Itineraries tour at the Doge's Palace which requires reservations. At the end of November we were able to book our spot the day before we wanted to go.

I've never booked the Uffizi or Accademia in Florence when traveling off-season (November-March). I usually go later in the day and have managed to avoid the tour group crowds.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Hi,
I think it's really good to prebook at the Uffizi because even if you can get in, why risk it and why waste time waiting on line? (I'm told there usually is a line at the Uffizi) There was no line at the Academia in the early morning that week. (on the 31st of December)
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM

Do most museums provide tapes to listen to, or is it necessary to book a guided tour.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:15 PM

In Venice, you don't need to book - we never waited in line for anything, except to ascend the Campanile, when we waited five minutes. Visit San Marco before say 9:30 AM, and you will beat the tour groups.

The Secret Doge Palace Tour needs to be booked in advance.

January is a great time to visit Venice - it is quiet, quite mysterious. We spent nine weeks there last December / January - and my trip report would tell you something about the weather.

You do need to check on acqua alta.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi travelfan,

I agree that largely, reservations at that time of year are unnecessary. the only exceptions I would make are for the secret itineraries [fewer tours in english that time of year] and the uffizi, which can be as deluged with japanese tourists in jan/feb as at any other time of year.

although we had reservations for the accademia in Florence, it was clear that if you got there towards the end of the afternoon, you'd probably just be able to walk straight in. and in Venice, we did just that at the accademia, about an hour or so before closing.

one way round the lack of flexibility problem is to only make one reservation a day, and make it as early as possible. then you have the rest of the day to do as you please.

regards, ann