Florence/Tuscany: Itinerary advice, pls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a previous thread many of you helped me set the basics for our short trip in late September. We are two ladies, mid-50's, fit enough to climb the hill towns. (We usually don't climb "towers" unless there's a really good reason to do so).

We would appreciate input on specifics...what hilltowns can we visit on the same day, what "hidden" treasures not to miss, etc? We fly into/out of Bologna.
--------------------------

WED--train fr Bologna, Florence 6pm
THURS--Florence
FRI--Bus to San Gim in afternoon (return to FL after dinner?)
SAT--rent car in afternoon...to Pienza

SAT night--Pienza
SUN--Montalcino, Val d'Orcia area
MON--Montepulciano and ??
TUE--Volterra(?) and Siena
(not necessarily in this order)

WED--drive to Bologna, spend night
THU--depart 6am

------------------------

I know many of you are intimately familiar with Southern Tuscany. Can you help me fill in those days? We'd like to visit some of the really small hilltowns to sample the history, architecture, people, etc. There are some abbeys I'd like to see, especially the one where the monks still sing Gregorian chants. We plan to take our time, mingle with people, sample the cuisine and, of course, the wine.

What about shopping? My friend likes to shop for clothes/accessories for her teenage daughter. She can do that in Florence. But what are the shops like in Siena? Montepulciano?

As for restaurants, we don't mind driving a little after dinner if the road is decent...perhaps no more than 20 minutes from Pienza.

I know we don't have much time, but please help me put together an itinerary to make the most of it. Thanks. J.

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Jeanne,

I see you will be in Montalcino on Sunday...we usually begin our Sunday at the Abbazia di San Antimo, very close by..the mass begins at 11:00 a.m. and is full Gregorian chants..I suggest you arrive at least twenty minutes to one half hour before as it is very popular and wonderful...afterwards, you can drive back to Montalcino for Sunday lunch...mass is about one hour or a bit more...people also come and go if you don't want to stay for the entire time..
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:30 AM

Jeanne, Bus to Siena on that Friday and hit San Gim. on your way south on Sat. The bus connection is much better.

Go to slowtrav.com and find the article by Stu Dudley about the Val d' Orcia day trips. Or, email me and I will send you my Tuscany day trips.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:32 AM
ira

Hi J,

It is much easier to get to Siena from Florence by bus than it is to get to San G by bus.

I suggest that you switch those two towns and drive to San G.

The SITA bus station is on Via Santa Caterina de Siena, abt 2 blks from the SMN train station.

SITA bus schedules are at www.sitabus.it
Click LINEE REGIONALI ,
For Tuscany click “Siena Mobilita” Click “Orari” Click “SITA” Click “Siena”

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

That's exactly the kind of feedback I needed. I'll switch that day trip to Siena and drive to San Gim the day we get the car. Would I then proceed to Pienza via Siena? Or would we go back out to the autostrada to head south?

Thanks, too, for the info on the monastery.

BOB: would you please send me your info?
[email protected]
(take out the "-"s)

I'm curious about the Montepuliciano day. Should we add Orvietto? Chiusi? I suspect Friend will want to go to Assisi...but isn't that pretty far afield for this trip?