Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence: Trams to Trundle thru City Centre

May 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Recently i tracked down construction of Florence' new tram system, parts of which are nearly finished though the section in the Centro Storico or whatever they call the city centre is yet to be started.

But the part NW of the SMN train station has tracks in place in many spots and looks nearly ready to go.

The line goes on a bridge over the Arno into the large riverside park west of the Fortress area, then by the fortress and down a side street to a few blocks from SMN station

then tracks can be seen being laid down in front of the SMN station

then the tram will roll down to the Duomo where it will turn left before heading west and out of the centre.

would seem a few years at least before trams trundle thru the town center.
May 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM

I didn't know there was a planned tram in Florence...not sure how I feel about that. I find the centre of Florence quite easy to get around as it is - won't the tram affect the integrity of this medieval district?
May 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Well they had trams for decades until recent times and it will just barely touch the real historic area - sweeping left as it approaches the Duomo from the north

There is (or was a few months back) an exhibition of panels in the square by the Duomo outlining the tram scheme
May 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM

I was there last month, and there was a minor protest near the Duomo over the Tram plans. I was a little confused because it appears the trams will use the same routes as the numerous buses currently passing nearby.
May 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

willit makes a great observation

fume-belching buses roll by it all them time - and i think the smog affects the buildings' exteriors, etc.

Trams could be quieter than buses

and also Florence is a real vibrant working city as well - trams may be better than the smelly and noisy buses
May 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Good point.
May 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Trams And Subways In Firenze
Florence (Firenze) tram and LRT under construction. 2001 LRTA report. The three line Florentine tram network will consist of 22 km of at-grade track. ...
www.subways.net/italy/florence.htm -

tramStorici_02.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tramvia Firenze Foto Storiche (Set). 22. items. Part of: Tramvia Firenze ... Click this icon to see all public photos and videos tagged with Firenze Firenze ...
flickr.com/photos/deskspace/279136531/