Florence Traffic Ticket with Rental Car

Jan 14th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Florence Traffic Ticket with Rental Car

My wife and I recently took our honeymoon to Italy back in June from here in the US. We ended up renting a car in Florence and traveling all over Tuscany. However, while in Florence, we apparently drove through one of the limited traffic zones. About four months later (October) we received a notice from our rental car company that we had received a ticket, and that the car rental company would be providing my information to the authorities. They also said that the authorities would then contact me for payment.

I still have not received anything from the authorities. My question is, how long does this typically take to receive this notice after the car rental company provides them the information? Will the fine increase since I haven't been officially notified? What happens if I never receive anything from the authorities?

Just getting a little worried, and do not want to have to deal with this down the road. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Hello, nz, I believe the authorities have a year to send you the citation. I am sorry that happened, it happens to so many visitors. One of my friends that lives in Florence but not in the limited traffic zone doesn't even keep his car in Florence. He keeps it at his parents house in another city and takes the train to get it when he wants to use his car. Even he has received tickets in the past by accidently driving into the limited traffic zone.
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM
ira

Hi NZ,

It's Italy not NYC. You will get your ticket when you get your ticket.

You might get a bill from the rental company telling you that they have paid the ticket for you. Don't send them money, or if they charge you contest it, if they don't provide a receipt from the authorities.

Jan 17th, 2011, 12:46 AM

I got my two tickets for the same offense over a year after my visit. The fine was 100 euros. I was also nervous about the fine increasing with time delay and called their offices. Was told that there is no increase. I really did not believe that I had violated the limited traffic zone but I paid and would advise you to pay it if you ever plan to rent in Italy again.
Jan 17th, 2011, 07:34 AM