Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Florence to Verona - day trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/florence-to-verona-day-trip-125290/)

Elsa May 21st, 2001 01:41 PM

Florence to Verona - day trip

I was thinking about taking a day trip from Florence to Verona but : <BR> <BR>1) Is it worth doing so <BR> and <BR>2) How long a train ride is it? <BR> <BR>We have been to Florence b/4, so we can spare a day to go to Verona if it is worth doing so. <BR> <BR>Thank you in advance.

richard j vicek May 21st, 2001 01:55 PM

Good evening, Else <BR>Being worty it depends on what you want <BR>to see and do in Verona, you could possibly see a lot o it six hours. <BR>The areana, Pza Erbe and a couple of <BR>other sites might be enough for you ro <BR>see and possibly having lunch there. <BR>As far as rail is concerned see www. <BR>raileurope.com. Trains direct are <BR>three with the earliest arriving in <BR>Verone just after noon. The trip would <BR>be 2-1/2 hours, $35. 1st cl $24. 2nd cl. Trains that require a change in <BR>Bologna start much earlier and run later <BR>but the trip including the change is 3 hours. <BR>If you have not been to Perugia, Assisi <BR>or Otvieto might consider these as <BR>alternates assuming you have been to <BR>Siena and San Gimignano, Pisa, etc. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...

Walter May 21st, 2001 01:57 PM

Sorry Elsa, it doesn't look like a very easy (timewise) daytrip:(. Below is a past post of mine for the FS train website and this will show you the timetables and the Verona station "glitch". Regards, Walter... <BR>&lt;&lt;&lt;Go to www.fs-on-line.com/ click-on "English", (Also later check-out the other click-ons "Agencies, Special Offers, On Line Ticket Office etc) Now type-in your 2 cities and use Italian spellings only (Roma, Firenze, Venezia, Milano, Napoli etc), type-in your "dates & time" and then click-on "Search". (NOTE schedule is only valid until June 9, 2001 so for info purposes use any date before June 9 but one that is on the day you want to travel, meaning a Monday or Sunday etc. Also schedules rarely change esp for ES & IC trains so the train & time will probably be valid after June 9) <BR> Once in the timetables to find the fares and connection info, to the left of your train under the "Select" column either click-on the train's <BR># (1,2,3,...) or the "red square/triangle". If your fare *isn't* listed go to the bottom of that page click-on "Fares" and the next page under "Seats Number" type-in number of seats you want *most likely* next to the "Standard Fare" line. Choose "seat reservations" and your "Class" (1st/2nd) if they are options and click-on "Fares". I haven't done it but you can now buy your tickets on-line directly thru their website. ***Now _sometimes_ only with the *smaller* cities/towns, when you click-on "Search" it brings you to another option where either or both the "Arrival" or "Departure" stations has a "pull-down" of 2 or more choices of stations, *there is a glitch here* and you will just go around it circles unable to choose one, you will keep getting a "pop-up" on screen. So just choose your station and hit the back button and start your search again but this time *type-in* the specfic station name. Example: Verona will give you 3 different stations just go back and type-in (in my case) Verona Porta Nuova. <BR> <BR>

County May 22nd, 2001 03:19 AM

Seems a little far to me, but then I've been a little disillusioned to go back there since that girl killed herself. <BR>

Elsa May 22nd, 2001 05:00 AM

Thank you Richard and Walter for all the info in your response to my questions. <BR> <BR>Richard: Just to let you know, we will be spending just under 2 weeks "doing" Tuscany, so we will get to see the towns you mentioned. <BR> <BR>Walter: Thanks for ALL the details on using the train timetable.